New mother fired while on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ja Di ksw, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Ok, I have to rant for a second. I normally don't just come onto the internet to rant in forums, but I literally can't get this off my chest enough. Firing a new mother - WHILE ON MATERNITY LEAVE NO LESS - is complete BULL****. My friend just had her first kid. Her first baby. Now, keep in mind that she worked up to just a couple days before the birth! She didn't even take time off when she could have, even though it was putting a lot of strain on her. Also, her boss had recently taken her out to dinner and told her what a great job she had been doing. So, she goes on maternity leave, and the boss gets a temp. Now, she thinks (though this could be biased) that the temp is giving him bj's. Or at least that's what the other workers in the office think. So, WHILE SHE IS ON MATERNITY LEAVE this sorry excuse for something with a soul decides to fire her and give her job to the temp. He claims she was "not thorough enough" with her cleanings (she's a dental assistant) even though he has never once complained to her about it. And I've known her for years, she is one of those people that never even got a B in school b/c she was such a perfectionist. Anyways, with the human sized genital wart that is her boss employing less than 50 people, she can't sue him. All she can do is hope to get unemployment. And then hope to get a new job - of which there aren't many in the city. Or many work out in the suburbs (she's in Chicago), so she'll have to get a new car. Oh, of course even if that's the case, there's still a 6 week old baby to worry about! What happens when daycare starts and she can't make it home in time because she works out in the suburbs?

Ok, rant over (or, more accurately, moving on to a gchat with another friend that just came on).

I hope this guy gets herpes from his new employee.

2. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I have a feeling this one is going to go down that road if a moderator could please move this to PRSI? Just a suggestion.:rolleyes:

I feel sorry for your friend though

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Wonder what the law is on firing someone on maternity leave in in your State? Worth checking.

All that stuff about the new temp giving the boss bjs sounds like b1tchy rumor-mongering by bitter/angsty employees. Hate listening to that crap to be frank.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

He said...she said...:rolleyes:

Surely this will be sorted out by the judge or arbitration board in the wrongful termination lawsuit.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Not uncommon, unfortunately.

In a similar case a friend of mine was laid off while on disability (pituitary tumor, screwed up his optic nerve, can't work anymore, was laid off while the paperwork was supposedly going through the right channels). He sued, won, got all the benefits he was entitled to.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is against the law. I would recommend hiring a lawyer and suing the guy. Personally any company that does that should be sued and then fined into chapter 7 bankrupt

7. djellison macrumors 68020

Industrial Tribunal.

Problem (if indeed there was one) solved.

8. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

If it's in the wrong forum please move it, no idea if there's a better one.

Even if there's no nasty stuff going on with the new temp, that is irrelevant. That's just me bi•••ing. The point is firing a new mother while on maternity leave is morally wrong. It is a shameful, horrible thing to do, and it's bs.

The laws that protect against this in Illinois do not apply when the business has fewer than 50 employees, so there's no legal way to deal with it. Just hope to get unemployment and move on.

Honestly, when did we as a country start caring more about businesses doing well than people? Oh, but god forbid we make laws to help out workers, b/c someone might take advantage of them! As if no one is taking advantage of laws now.

Hope so, and hope the company is sued to bankruptcy, but they said the law doesn't apply with them (too small of a business)

Does that mean she gets to waterboard them? "oil-board them?" If so, all in favor.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oh I believe does apply to them. A lot of things to not apply to business under 20 people but this I believe this is one where they can sue for wrongful termination.

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Ah I see, your friend is a bad position then. Hopefully she can get back on her feet soon. Not going to complain about the law because as a small business that I run myself, I know that if my partner disappeared on mat leave for several months, and expected pay while I had to employ someone else, it would be really crippling to the business. Rights models of large firms just aren't sustainable on small businesses.

Life can be cruel sometimes :(

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

They should not have to pay them while on maternity leave but after the maternity leave is over they get the position back.

This is the case were well they will not get it back and fired them.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Oh, it damn well applies. If she was truly on Maternity leave (I'm not doubting you, just be sure she has the medical records to prove it), then have her talk to a lawyer, and read heavily into the provisions of the Family Medical Leave Act. All of the terms and provisions in there apply to this, and all employable businesses fall under it. It may be completely illegal for them to terminate any employment due to maternity leave. It also covers salary during the duration of the pregnancy and up to 6 months after. Definitely look into it.

BL.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Who is 'they'? If 'they' is the company your friend worked for, obviously they are going to say such dumb thing. Truth is out there for your friend to find out. Call a lawyer and see if she has a case, nothing wrong with that. Most attorneys won't charge you for a case study or case evaluation.

I believe the business can be 10 people and you can still sue. The law states pregnant women can't get fired over such things. All she has to do is prove he did it with intentions of just firing her and no real motive.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) is a federal law and so it doesn't matter what the state says. Also, its a bad idea to get legal advice from the place you may want to sue. Of course they will discourage the employee--they don't want to be sued.

Does the employee have any disciplinary action on file at this place? If not, shes got a decent case. However, keep in mind that even if a boss tells a person they've done a good job one day -- if their total performance is bad, and is duly recorded, they can fire the person.

Saying someone did a great job at one thing, one day doesn't mean anything.

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Does the FMLA apply to businesses of less than 50 employees? What about less than 15 employees?

16. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

17. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

If this business doesn't have 50 employees within a 75 mile radius of the specific worksite, then the FMLA does not apply (as the OP stated in fewer words).

Edit: The OP stated it as I was typing it. By the way, what state is the OP's friend working in? Some states exceed these minimum requirements.

Hickman

18. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

That is a good question. I know there is such a stipulation regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act concerning businesses with less than 15 employees but I don't know much about the FMLA in this regard.

19. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Yeah, just looked up the wiki FMLA after everyone mentioned it. She lives in Illinois, which I don't think changes the 50 employee requirement

20. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

So she hires the legal beagles and forces her now ex-boss to hire her back, maybe even with some compensation. Now how fun would that work environment be? Sometimes you just can't win..

21. mondesi43 macrumors regular

Same thing happened to my wife, except slightly different. They skirted around the FMLA rules because of the number of employees as well. They were 'bought out' by another company, so the last day of my wife's maternity leave (aka vacation time taken) was also the last day the company was open. She didn't get severance package like the others, or any other benefits that everyone else was offered. 13 years dedicated employee got her nothing in the end.

I say 'bought out' because they essentially started up a new business with the same owners. The majority of people got 'new jobs' within the new company. They had to hide their shady books somehow.

22. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Agreed. Or word gets around about what she did and now no one will hire her :(

(EDIT: hypothetical, for those who haven't been following it, she hasn't tried to sue)

23. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Yeah- double edge sward unfortunately. Best of luck to her though

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

No-one would hire her? If they asked the reasoning on what happened, at the very least, she'd get the sympathy nod from any future employer. But legally, if your state is a Right-to-Work state, they could not refuse her from being hired for a job. If she has the qualifications and is a fit for the position, they can not base their refusal to hire her on the actions of what happened at a previous position.

BL.

25. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

One word: Media.

Thirty one words: Go to the local media and shame them. Then send it to as many prominent job seeker blogs as you can. A little bad PR can go a very long way.