New Nike+ challenges

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Mar 19, 2009.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so, ziwi sent me a message with everyone's nike+ ids from the challenges before, and i wanted to see if everyone was still up for challenges?

also, any ideas on what challenges you'd like to see? anyone wanna help me out with setting up everything?

i won't be able to work on this til the weekend, so hopefully some of you will at least see this thread by then and let me know something

2. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i guess either people didn't see this thread, or no one is interested anymore...

3. ashley11 macrumors newbie

yeah ..i am not interested...but i did saw this thread..[​IMG]

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I haven't been using my Nike+ all winter when I've been running sporadically. I was able to run a couple of times outside this week, and I'm getting back into the season of outdoor running (without requiring trips to Florida), and I intend to start using my Nike+ again....

I'm up for the challenges when they're consistent with my training goals, so I'd probably participate in some of them.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I am very tempted to get the Nike+ transmitter — but I have heard they are not so acurate for "off-road" running… OK for tarmac, but when you're on dirt tracks and up and down hills, splashing through puddles etc, not so good.

Also, does it get "confused" by you doing interval training (fartlek style?)

Any experiences?
    :)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think the interval training is a problem, at least from my experience, unless the intervals get very short (probably to the point of not making sense). With sprinting at the end of runs or relatively short intervals of 60-90 seconds, it seems to handle all that reasonably fine. The speed may not be laser-accurate, but the overall numbers are reasonable.

The offroad running, I'm not personally sure about -- if it's very singletrack-y, it might not work out so well.

The other major time when it produces odd results for some people is on a treadmill, but this again may have to do with differences in running style -- my ex-gf got very odd results on a treadmill (like being off nearly by a factor of two), but when I tried it, it was generally accurate within about 5-15%.

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

it isn't entirely accurate no matter what, but i think it's easily worth the $30. i've ran just about thru everything - hills, puddles, etc as well as all kinds of intervals - from 400 meter repeats to 1 mile repeats, and fartleks as well. yes, it does get a little off (when running fast, like under 5:00 per mile, it gets way off - like 3 laps around track and it says 0.50 miles). but what do you expect from $30?

i highly recommend it

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Thanks for the comments…

I'll have to splash out the £19. :)

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I hope you'll really love it. My bottom line about the Nike+ is it makes me run harder, run faster, and run more often, and on those three bases, it is well worth the money.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Exactly my reasons for wanting to get it. :)

I need to step up… lord, it doesn't get easier once your over da hill.
    :eek:

11. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I would just make some up and see what happens (distance, group and maybe a timed one) - I would just send them out and see what happens - like I said I have been out of the running since early December, but hopefully things change in April...

12. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, good idea. i'll see what i can do. in the meantime, i hope you get back into running soon.

13. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i sent out a challenge that starts tomorrow. let me know if you get it.

thanks

14. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

so right now we have 1 distance challenge going. so far 9 people have synced at least 1 run. the challenge goes through the end of april 2009.

i wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on more challenges?

15. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I never ran last year...But I was getting the challenges.

This year I am trying to get fit...Just started my first jog yesterday and now I am in lots of pain. I'm not a runner.

Then I saw the challenge invite and it reminded me about the Nike+ stuff, so I plan on getting involved this time. I don't remember the old challenges. I am trying to think up something that I could actually achieve but I can't come up with anything.

I did accept the 1st challenge, and I plan on doing my first run with Nike + tomorrow.

16. ddollar macrumors member

ddollar

I am in i did them last year and liked it alot. Did anyone get there 500 miles in 2008 shirt in? Mine came in the mail yesterday.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I received the challenge but am having a devil of a time logging into Nikeplus. It doesn't seem to load in FF 2.x or 3.x on Windows or Linux, with or without Adblock. On MSIE this morning, it hung. It seems to be loading in IE on my work Dell now, though, so I'll join.

Now I have to recharge my Nano and hope the transmitter is still working....

18. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

nice! glad that you accepted and are going to do your first nike+ run today. good luck!

good. did you pay for that shirt? or apply or anything?

weird. well i hope you get it working. do other flash sites work for you?

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They do generally, yes. I've noted a couple other ones that give me problems on Firefox recently also... I watch some TV streamed on the internet, like Lost episodes (I think it's Lost actually) and the player will not load up in Firefox on my EeeBox but will in Internet Explorer. Sometimes Adblock is the culprit, but that didn't make any difference there. And it used to load up.

20. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

hmm. so do you have the latest flash installed?

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I do, yes.

22. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

hmm. so is it still not working for you? or sometimes it does, and sometimes not? i'm not really sure what to tell you. but i hope you get it working.

23. ddollar macrumors member

ddollar

Shirt was free for everyone who was in the "bring back the distant challenge shirts" and hit the 500 or 1000 mile goal its a really nice shirt

24. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh wow. i can't remember if i was or not. i need to check and see

25. ddollar macrumors member

ddollar

You should have gotten an email about the shirt in January it was i believe