Carrier New O2 Tariffs in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RossMak, Sep 10, 2015.

1. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

Hi Guys

I live in a rural town and O2 and Vodafone have just started offering 4G so I have been looking into there price plans as I am currently with Three and the mast here is overloaded and we have had very little 3G for a long time.

Anyway I came across this on the O2 website and I find this perfect for what I want.

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/our-new-iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-tariffs

I wonder how much it will cost? I think £85? Just a guess though no hard and fast maths behind it.

2. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

o2 didn't seem to clarify this when I spoke to them. I initially thought there would only be a 20gb and 30gb tariff but then someone else at o2 said it would be no different to what they offer now (in terms of existing 6 and Plus) where you build your tariff and data and what you pay up front for the phone. o2 Refresh is in effect for these phones (something I wasn't really aware of how it worked before today) so thinking £85 for one of those linked 'offers' would be steep.

We'll have to guess until Saturday morning.

3. RossMak thread starter macrumors 6502

RossMak

But for the 30gb tarrif they are buying back the phone on all other refresh deals you can upgrade whenever but you pay the remaining balance.

Also it is inclusive of insurance.

4. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

Yeah, that's a good point. On standard Refresh, you just pay the handset off if you wish to then upgrade early.

I guess you need to ask yourself if you're going to smash your way through 20 - 30 GB of data. I work from home, so I'm on wireless most days. If 3G isn't an option you might still be able to get a decent 4G tariff that isn't potentially a small monthly fortune to finance. Unless the buy back is something you value. 20 to 30 GB's per month is huge (IMO) in terms of data. That's some serious usage. Doubt most that opt for it will even come close to consuming it. Like how some companies market 'unlimited data' when their internal customer reports prove its cost effective to offer something that isn't actually abused by those taking up the offer.

5. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

As someone who was in University, I was actually smashing 5GB quite frequently but now I'm going to work and being at home so I think I'm either going to downgrade to 3GB or even 1GB (most likely 3GB tho).

6. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

1Gb is enough for me because of the work at home / wireless thing. Does (obviously) depend on lifestyle, the way you use the device out and about. I did ask why '20Gb and 30Gb' - tbh, the answer I got from o2 was politely fluffy and suggested those levels of data suit the new phones and the way people use them. Then suggested the prices would be competitive, but God knows if she actually knew or was just bluffing.

7. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

What's interesting with the 30GB one is that the wording implies that you trade in your phone to them after a year....

8. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I think for the 6 Plus 128GB last year I paid £200 up front for the handset and £25 p/m. Then the refresh tariff was £25 p/m with half price insurance (£6 p/m) and that was 20GB data.

9. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I actually forgot to talk about that sorry, I can't see how anyone can use that one unless they don't have wifi at home but even then it's very limited for a home connection as we blast 15 GB per day on our Virgin Media account thanks to our TV internet streaming for a good 5-6 hours a day.

10. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

£25 p/m is great. Not sure I can pay a lump upfront if I want to pre-order on Saturday. Would have to wait until pay day, which is after the 25th. Will also get £160 for my 5s from o2 recycle. I've always seemed to pay around 40 - 47 quid per month for a phone. Think for existing 128Gb Plus, its around 30 quid upfront and 52 per month.

11. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

Yeah, exactly. I think 'about and about' 30Gb is a massive amount of data. At home with no wifi, you'll have to be structure your usage. Really interested to see how the cost works with these ones.

12. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I've got £467 locked-in with envirofone for my 6 plus and my buy-out for refresh is £300. So I'm hoping i'm only going to have to stump up about £30 for the 6s Plus up-front and a tariff similar to what I'm on.

13. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

Out of interest, does Refresh value the phone at retail cost or the contractual cost that we tend to pay off in say a 2 year contract (that ends up being far more)?

14. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

What does this mean? Since airtime tariff and handset tariff is split, you just pay off the handset tariff and you can't cancel the airtime tariff at no cost and sign a new contract.

15. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 65816

Cutiekitty92

So done with hefty tariffs, simplicity all the way!

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The existing refresh package for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus is £54 p/m. You can upgrade every year but you are in effect paying double for the privilege. The cost breakdown is £30 p/m for the device and £24 p/m for the tariff. Cleverly marketed with its central focus on the consumer getting a nice new iPhone every release but hiding he fact you pay 2 years worth of tariff in just one year.

I would rather keep a phone for 2 years and not be out of pocket myself.

17. RossMak thread starter macrumors 6502

RossMak

This is the thing, see I currently have Unlimited and pay £60 a month for it with Three and it is unusable, with 4G I probably would use more for Streaming when at work, O2 allow you to use your Hotspot up to your data available so I would be happy to stream events like The Ryder Cup or Wimbledon etc.

On most months I wouldn't even come close to using 30GB However I always end up thinking I need more. Honestly if O2 put out a plan that was £10 more expensive than a 30GB one that said unlimited. I would take it. Just the kind of terrible shopper I am.

18. RossMak thread starter macrumors 6502

RossMak

O2 haven't put any prices on this plan, any that I mentioned were pure speculation on my part. Also the new plans will be inclusive of insurance which I think is something to bear in mind as it is something I have never purchased for myself.

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The first sentence of my post stated the 'existing' plan. It's a fair assumption it will be in line with the upcoming model.

It costs me £10 a year to add my wife's and my iPhone to my home contents insurance coving loss and accidental damage.

20. RossMak thread starter macrumors 6502

RossMak

I don't see how you can say it will cost you double when O2 are saying they are buying the phone back

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Because based on my current tariff on a 24 month contract I would be paying double the amount every month. Sure they buy the phone back but you only pay £9.99 for it in the first place on refresh so you are effectively renting it, you never own the device outright.

22. RossMak thread starter macrumors 6502

RossMak

I'm currently not in any contract with O2 and depending on the price im quite excited by this

I like having the latest iPhone and "owning it" isn't really something I'm personally precious about although I do get some people are.

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

If it works for you then do it. I wasn't trying to put you off, just stating its cheaper for me the other way. Nobody knows whether you own your iPhone or not and its not something I am 'precious' about either. ;)

I'm also not bothered about getting a new iPhone each year as the slight jump is not worth the hassle IMO.

24. Lunfai, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

The most cost efficient way if you want to upgrade every year is to just buy a iPhone outright and use sim-only. My contract is 42 a month and it's 5GB and an iPhone 6 (64GB) and I only have to pay off 240 pounds now after paying 42 a month for the last year. Selling the iPhone to a family member for around 300 will let me pay off my contract and start anew, but I invested 149.99 at the start so the fee in this case is around 100 for the device. If you want to upgrade every year, then I don't see a problem and it's the next best thing to buying a unlocked device upfront every year.

TLDR; Once you pay off the remaining balance on your handset tariff (which you can do whenever) you will own the device. You can do this from month one or month 12 or just wait until the contract expires like normal and upgrade. The device will end up being yours.

25. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

But on O2 refresh I paid £200 up front (6 plus 128GB) and have been paying £50 a month which is £25 for phone and £25 for airtime including 20GB data. Now I want to upgrade I need to pay £300 off to upgrade a year early. I'm selling my phone for at least £465 which pays the £300 and puts £165 against the new phone (so if the same as last year, it costs me only £35), and then the cycle starts again. So really, what you suggest isn't any better (adjusting for different phone model between you and I) unless I'm missing something?