New OCZ Vertex SSD drives specifically for Macs !

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by harshw, Apr 7, 2009.

1. harshw macrumors member

2. IrishSniper87 macrumors regular

If they were affordable, maybe people would love them, haha.

3. harshw thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I am hoping they are the same cost as the normal OCZ Vertexes ... I've seen the 120GB for 280 gbp in UK. They should certainly be cheaper than the X-25's ... Intel's 160GB alone would cost as much as OCZ's 250GB. And the X-25's are not Apple certified.

4. vilim12 macrumors regular

I agree I want one cause theyre so damn fast, but the price makes the thought leave my mind instantly lol.

5. JGO macrumors member

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

That's what happens when you bought products from small companies that often sources products from other companies.

Last time I checked, this product wasn't selling saying that it'll support Mac out of the box nor did they market that. You made that decision yourself without doing research. This is what's called EAS, Early Adopters Syndrome.

At least OCZ is working hard on trying to fix all the issues. Intel still haven't fixed their early X-25M with bootcamp issues, so nobody is perfect and neither is SSD. It is still an immature technology for consumer market.

Those Mac drives are the same as the regular Vertex but with the new firmware 1370 aka 1.10 which contained mac support for sleep/hibernation.

BTW: it is rare to find a flashing tool with mac support. OCZ claim that they might work on it but they don't know when and if it will be done.

7. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

8. JGO macrumors member

You are 100% correct.

However, I do believe that my message provides some balance to the original post. Now the box says (implies) that it works with Macs. Regarding firmware flashing: just because it if rare to find the tool doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, or that it is somehow impossible to do.

All this being said...how do I get around the controller issue os that I can update my firmware? Use my wife's older MBP to do the flash? Not sure what the controller is in that model.

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

The easiest and fastest method is to use a PC or go over to a friend's pc to do the flashing. (bring it to work if you have a pc )

Your inability to actually flash may be because Vista is seeing it as SCSI and you need to go into Bios(which macs lack) to change to IDE mode so that the flasher can be used.

Now did you use the new improved 1.10 flasher tool to try?

You can try other methods such as BartPE/Vista Recovery CD, but I am not sure if it is working or not on Macs. OCZ working on freedos boot CD that should work but unknown atm.

10. JGO macrumors member

I have not yet tried the 1.10 flasher. I will do this.

11. harshw thread starter macrumors member

The flashing tool really is improved, it handles AHCI even though it says you need to set the drives to IDE under BIOS.

12. harshw thread starter macrumors member

I feel your pain dude, but let me say this: The early intel drives that dont work with bootcamp - do you know of anyone who had a firmware flasher for them yet ? AFAIK, you have to send them in and they give you ones with fixed firmware. And as for the mods ... any mod on any forum will take you down if you have a go at them - whether it is MR, OCZ or Apple discussion forums. At least the MR and OCZ forums are a lot more tolerant than Apple Discussion forums :)

Maybe you can sell the non-Mac vertex on ebay and get the Mac specific variant ? You would probably get the same price you paid for them. Or then you can RMA the drive back to OCZ for them to flash/exchange with the Mac specific variant. One thing that is unknown right now is pricing. I really hope OCZ dont charge extra for the Mac variant or then to differentiate it somehow.

13. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

If they are using the Apple name then it isn't OCZ you should worry about. It is whether Apple will charge more for something with their brand.

I am sure you aren't that naive to believe that OCZ would eat the cost right? Expect a SIGNIFICANT premium if these drives use the Apple trademark or state that these are APPLE approved. Any use of Apple as a marketing ploy (regardless of whether they test or not) will increase cost.

14. L0s7man macrumors 6502

I think Intel fixed the X25-M and bootcamp problems. The price is comparable the same 450chf for 80GB X25-M vs 530chf for 120GB Vertex, so I think I'll rather go for Intel (I don't care for extra 40GB)

15. subaqua macrumors member

Super Talent Ultradrive ?

I received a new super talent SSD last week and it's been working pretty well. While it isn't "apple certified", it is much faster than the stock 200GB drive my early 2008 MacBookPro4,1 shipped with. Here's the properties of this new 256GB Ultradrive from super talent (FTM56GX25H)

Intel ICH8-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: ICH8-M AHCI
    Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

STT_FTM56GX25H:

Capacity: 238.47 GB
    Model: STT_FTM56GX25H
    Revision: 1275
    Serial Number: XXXXX-fbix-XXXXX
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
    Volumes:
    Blink:
    Capacity: 238.15 GB
    Available: 98.91 GB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    BSD Name: disk0s2
    Mount Point: /

I bought it because of the iometer performance numbers they quoted on their web site. While I've been unable to reproduce 4000 random IOPS with it, it is much faster than what I had and I'm pretty happy with my decision even though it cost me USD $640.00 from NewEgg.

In the last week, I've had one sleep/wake problem that may or may not have been due to the SSD ... I am running the BIX firmware which I believe is the latest and greatest. Also, since my MacBookPro is old, it can only do SATA at 1.5Gb/s.

The SSD does become warm to the touch but it seems to have improved my battery life by maybe 15-20 minutes. Startup times are quick. I don't use bootcamp but my multiple VMware fusion images work great and suspend/resume very quickly.

I know the $$/GB cost is bad but the $$/IOP is cheap which is why I bought this drive. All of my large data sets are kept on my office MacPro and servers so 238GB on my laptop is okay.

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have only a MacBook, and I've flashed the drive twice with the Bart PE boot disc. Only takes a few minutes, but I do have to make a new Bart PE boot disc with each new firmware revision.

At least you don't need an actual PC though.

17. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I went with the Intel as well. Very happy here!

18. MacAlpha macrumors regular

Great news. As soon as they come out with the next size jump, I will definitely be in the market for one. :)

19. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I will stick with intel. Everything that I read says that Intel is the best right now.

20. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

True, the Intel is the best - but the premium you have to pay for them still kicked them out of my SSD wish list.

I bought the Vertex and I love it - great SSD! :)

21. harshw thread starter macrumors member

Is the bootcamp working on your Intel drive ? What version is it ?

22. harshw thread starter macrumors member

In UK the price for the X-25M 80GB is £ 334 and the Vertex 120GB is available for £ 285. So that works out to £4.175 per GB for the Intel drive as compared to £2.375 per GB for the Vertex. Much cheaper than the Intel for sure. And Anandtech's review compared the drives and found them to be head to head in real world performance. Just because the Intel wins all the IOMeter 4K random read/write benchmarks doesn't mean much in real world usage.

23. Matek macrumors 6502a

I never liked hardware makers that sold seperate "Apple versions" of their hardware. This made some slight sense back when it was a completely different platform (PPC), but nowadays the hardware in Apple products is the same as the hardware in every other laptop on the market.

If I buy standard memory, it doesn't matter whether I want to put it in a $300 Asus netbook, a $1000 MacBook or a $3100 Dell Adamo - it's standard and it should work. Same goes for SATA drives. If this SSD didn't work properly on some Macs, they should simply say it's a problem on their side and release a fix, not make a new product and claim it's a feature.

If this thing wouldn't work on a Sony, nobody would say "Oh well, it doesn't specifically say it's Sony compatible, I guess I'll just wait for the special Vaio version". They would complain - and that's the only right thing to do. Right now, hardware makers are often simply trying to leech more money out of us Mac users by selling us repackaged "regular" products that should be following standards in the first place.

Macs being incompatible with standard hardware is a thing of the past. We shouldn't be embracing it, we should take a more critical stance and tell hardware companies to stop manipulating us.

24. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Are you sure about that?

:)

25. dbwie macrumors 6502

in 3 years

I just bought a MacBook with the stock 250GB drive. I'm figuring it will take me 2-3 years to fill it up, based on how I use it. Hoping that a 512 GB SSD will be affordable in about 2-3 years.