New Old Mac Pro and Apple Care Question?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Eastend, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Eastend macrumors 6502

I have a chance to purchase the low end 2009 Quad MacPro for a very good price, it's brand new and in the box from a online retail outlet, in fact many stores online in Japan still have stock. My question is, can you still purchase Apple Care for this and does the one year warranty start on the purchase, even though Apple has updated the MacPro? Will there be no problems with warranty?

The price is about 500 dollars less than the 2010 2.8 GHz Quad, since the video card means nothing to me, the 4 or 5% speed boost is nice, but not for 500 dollars. The other plus is it has a 1 TB hard disk instead of a 640 GB disk, but it's still 500 dollars. Just worried about the warranty.

2. ZennZero macrumors member

Yes, you can still apply AppleCare as long as it was bought new.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

it would work in the usa. as long as the seller is an approved apple dealer

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Not entirely true...

Not entirely true either...

Go for it, it's a great deal.... you can get Applecare, no problem. If you are buying it from an Apple authorized reseller as new, your first year warranty starts on the day you buy it, regardless of the year/model, and you can get Applecare anytime within that first year.

IF it's not new, and/or the reseller is not authorized by Apple, you can also get Applecare, as long as the original purchase date is less than 1 year ago. If there is any doubt, you can check if the seller is authorized in the Apple support page, and/or ask to check the MP's serial number in the Applecare registration site before you buy. Entering the serial number will give you the original purchase date (if not new), will confirm if it's eligible for Applecare, and the expiration date of both the original one-year warranty, phone support and extended Applecare warranty.

cheers!

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

If you buy a new sealed unopened product from an authorized apple seller in the USA the clock on applecare eligibility starts the day you purchase it.

6. Eastend thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone, I probably worry too much. The old MacPro 2009 is getting really cheap in Japan and there is still around 15 or 16 places that still have a supply of these. Recently the price has been going down 4 to 5 dollars everyday, today it's at a low of under $1,700 or so. While the new 2010 2.8 GHz Quad is at a retail price of $2,300, but there is no supply in retail now, (means there is no on line discounts) only Apple Japan has them. If they still have these the middle of Oct, I'll probably get another one, already have one in the office.