new OS on the 20th? solving graphic card problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hoefler, Oct 17, 2010.

1. hoefler macrumors member

hi everyone i was reading about some rumor that there might be a release of a new Mac OSX on the 20th, does anyone know if this is going to be likely or is it just one of the so many rumors?

say if there was a new OS, does this mean there will be a solution for the graphic card problem i'm experiencing (sometimes i just get static and have to remove dvi cable and plug back in to get it to work)

and how does it work with mac osx updates, for example now its 10.6.4, will the next release most likely be 10.6.5 and if it is is it an entire new interface layout or just some updates but nothing huge? i'm asking since i have no experience in to whats most likely going to happen and how the update cycle with AppleOS works

2. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

They are not going to release the new OS on the 20th but announce it.

This isn't much of a rumor now since there invitation photo shows a big hint of a new OS to be announce.

There will be a 10.6.5 update and probably be the last till 10.7 is released to purchase.

There will most likely be UI changes and tons of fixes, speed, and many features.

This is speculation of what to come. But many believe this is the appropriate path in the new OS.

If Apple doesn't change the UI, they better add a lot of features.

But I believe, 85% chance that we will see UI changes.

Since Apple didn't do any UI changes to Snow Leopard, theres a high change they will on this on.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

10.7 (If it is the focus of Wednesday's event) won't be available for purchase until at least October of 2011.

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Wait what? 1 year for it's release.

I don't believe that, thats too long.

I give it 6 months before they release it.

You think Steve Jobs will show off the cool OS X 10.7 and have everyone get excited about it but at the end say "will be available 1 year from now". That would bum too many people out

Steve don't want to bum people.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That seems to me like a scenario that is likely to happen. He has done that in the past, with new iPods/MacBooks/iPhones/other, saying shipping early next year, or things like that. He can and will do things like that.

6. hoefler thread starter macrumors member

in regard to the UI changes and "tons" of fixes, is this in regard to the 10.6.5 update or the 10.7 update... if you were refering to the 10.7 update...are there going to be or likely to be significant changes for the 10.6.5 update or will this be a minor thing?

7. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I was stating the 10.7 update.

As for the 10.6.5 the update will be major in fixes too because they have been holding off this update for some time. Looks like they want to get it right before heading into 10.7

So 10.6.5 probably will be release during the event and 10.7 early next year.

2 more days till we know everything. I am truly looking forward to the even as I us OS X a lot and want to know the changes.

8. goMac macrumors 603

Depending on the card, that could just be a bad card.

9. hoefler thread starter macrumors member

but we don't need to expect UI changes for the 10.6.5?

10. kingsal macrumors member

What about WWDC 11? That's more of a summer time frame.

11. goMac macrumors 603

10.6.5 will just be bug fixes. Anything with only the last number changing is generally just fixes and compatibility updates.

12. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I'd put money on 10.7 being released no sooner than April. Probably not until June or later.

cheers
    JohnG

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

10.5 was announced in June 2005 and not released until October 2007.
    10.6 was announced in June 2008 and not released until August 2009.
    10.7 release should be at least a year after the announcement.

Edit: 10.4 was 10 months between announcement and release. So maybe August 2011 at the earliest for 10.7.

14. highdefw macrumors 6502

This time next year, 10.7 will be out. Next 6 months is still too soon for Apple.

15. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I have always suspected that apple people read these forums to gauge just how much they can ream out their customers.
    They see the fanboys defend every stupid decision that they implement and so they go ahead with even more stupid decisions.
    If they were to see that the consensus was that people weren't going to put up with some idiot decision, such as ipads with no usb or cameras, or paying obscene prices for hardware, they would get off their asses and give the customer what they demanded.
    Unfortunately, people get what they deserve, and it's obvious that apple customers are willing to get shafted rather than demand better.

16. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

It won't be 6 months. Look at the previous releases posted above.

I would say August next year, so to not interfere with the iOS 5 and iPhone 5 release in June.

17. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I've barely learned the old one! :)

18. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

You said idiot.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wednesday's event will "preview" 10.7 and that's it. They probably won't even have a beta ready for developers for some time, never mind having it shipping to consumers.

Plus given apple's secrecy, its impossible what bug fixes/features it will actually have. Outside of apple, nobody truly knows and we'll have to wait until 10/20 to get a glimpse.

20. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I think it's the people who use Windows who are getting shafted.

21. Garamond macrumors regular

On a sidenote; another clue about the imminent 10.6.5 release is the fact that Blizzard released a major World of Warcraft update last week with graphic options that require 10.6.5 before they can be activated.

22. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Well said!!!

If 10.7 is out in 6 months or 18 months it really doesnt matter. 10.6.4 does everything i need. A new OS just means my current apps may not be compatable.

23. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, many people can write long lists of stupid decisions by Apple. Then I point at their many years of skyrocketing stock price, increasing market share, enviable news coverage, and increasing sales in a worldwide recession. These points seem to indicate that in fact Apple makes quite a few smart decisions.

24. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have us waiting an entire year after announcement. Just like they wouldn't announce a new iPhone a year before it's release.

I give it 6 months at the most.

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Snow Leopard - Previewed in WWDC '08, announced in WWDC '09 (shipping info etc), released in August 2009

I somehow doubt that Apple can release 10.7 only 1.5 years after 10.6 since iOS has required a lot work lately. Of course depends what Apple adds there.

I'm agreeing with the late 2011.