new out of box bent iphone 6 plus, NOT the camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teabonesteak, Sep 24, 2014.

1. teabonesteak macrumors regular

i really tried looking for a previous thread on this so if i missed it, my bad. im not trying to cause a fuss. i like apple and own a few of their products... wife has the 6.

also, all previous threads i found were people who were laying the phone camera down so obviously there would be a wobble.

straight out of the box, i tried laying the phone screen side down and tapped each corner down. there is a very small wobble. just like a table with uneven legs. now, it is very small and i do not believe it will interfere with the phones usage. i tried multiple surfaces and turning the phone 360 while tapping. it is the same 2 opposite corners.

would you return it? is this something that is just unavoidable (even if i get a "perfect" phone, will it eventually get tweaked)? if i do exchange it, how long to get a replacement since this thing is back ordered like crazy?

advice/opinions would be appreciated.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If you want my opinion, I would just relax and enjoy your phone.

Reading these forums can actually decrease your enjoyment of Apple products unless you keep things in perspective.

:apple:

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

^ This.

The amount of antenna gate , yellow screens etc we've all seen.

And now bend gate for iPhone 6 models.

4. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

That's true. I was excited to get an iPhone 6 until I came on here and read a bunch of people whining about crooked text, dead pixels, yellow screens, dirt under the glass, among other things.

OP: enjoy your phone and move on.

5. teabonesteak thread starter macrumors regular

so did all the negative things make you not get one? are you sticking to a 5s/5?

6. sportello macrumors member

Here's a long one.

People are going to blow you off, but the truth is, there is a structural design flaw. In use, it's minor, but this shouldn't happen to such a premium device.

I preordered my 6 Plus and got it the day it was released. Due to a busy schedule, I've barely even used it. It's certainly been under no stress whatsoever, aside from my grip while I use it. But it's doing the same thing as yours.

Part of me wonders if the perceived bend in my phone is due to the curved front, but holding it up, a very, very slight bend is visible in profile. It's next to nothing, but it shouldn't be there, period.

I'll keep using the phone. I have no plans to return it. I'd even call myself an Apple apologist on the order of John Gruber. But this is there with literally almost no use on my part. My concern is that Apple can't cop to this - they are already stretched thin on supplies of the Plus. I'd hope they'd work on reinforcing the structure a bit and helping out affected users, but I just can't see how that will happen.

Aside from all this, the phone really is very fragile. It sustained a slight scratch on the back just from sitting on my table, so I had to go pick up a case, which sort of undermines the idea of the curved bezels and the nice contrast of the light silver/black face color scheme.

I like Ive, but I do think it's really apparent his design sense is a bit lazy since iOS 7. The awkward bands on the back of the phone, which aren't terrible but certainly aren't beautiful, the watch, which I was just looking at and thinking looks very half-assed, and now this structural deficit.

It's not the kind of thing that we need Android fans to freak out over, but from an engineering perspective, this should have been anticipated. Maybe the switch from sapphire to glass on the front resulted in less structural integrity.

It's hard to say that someone needs to be put in place alongside Ive, because he's one of the primary faces of Apple, but I do think he needs someone to step up and take a critical look at the things he's OKing as head of design at Apple. These kinds of devices need to hold up to everyday use.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I just got my 6 today. Loving it so far. Yeah, I'd like it better if the camera were flush, but I have a case that I accidentally left at work that should fix that. If not, I'll just find another one that's thicker -- the one I got set me back $6 from Monoprice.

The screen seems GIANT. I'm able to play my Simpsons game on there without squinting, and everything is just easier to see. The new lock button location WILL TAKE GETTING USED TO, but so does a lot of new stuff.

I can't wait to try out Apple Pay, and I really hope my credit union gets to supporting it quickly.

8. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

The phone can be bent during production. You can see the frame flex by twisting it. Doesn't take much force.

9. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Oh no, I'm going to get a 6. Time will tell when.
    I'm waiting probably till November-ish to get one. Maybe a bit sooner.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4, so this is in theory, a huge upgrade.

Don't let the negative rubbish other people say bring you down, OP!

10. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Just gonna put it out there. All I gotta say is "Registered Sept. 2014". Hmmm. ;)

11. sportello macrumors member

Means nothing? I just registered and I've been reading MacRumors for years. Never saw the need to discuss on a forum, but why not? I understand a lot of trolls probably register right before unleashing their ****, but that doesn't mean you should dismiss articulate concerns because of a registration date. Kind of obnoxious to be so dismissive.

12. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I have not done that particular test on mine, and I don't think I'm going to. It's performing 100% perfectly so if it's slightly bent, I'd rather not know.

13. sportello macrumors member

That was what I was thinking yesterday, and yeah, mine's a little bent. It's virtually unnoticeable if I'm not looking for it.

Like the OP said, screen down. I hang my head for the fate of humanity when I see people trying this with the camera face down.

14. teabonesteak thread starter macrumors regular

i guess im on the fence about the 6 plus b/c if this. dont get me wrong, i love apple, im one of a few fans swimming in android lovers here at my work (tbh, i think both apple and android are both good, im not one to argue over a phone/tablets/etc).

however, $1k and you would think it should be free from defects. i understand it can bend if you treat it poorly... but straight out of the box?

i have to admit that the 5/4/3 were SOLID phones. i dont abuse my stuff, but after years of owning those, i never had a single issue.

----------

you would think common sense would kick it at some point if the wobbled THAT much.. lol

15. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

Hello all you Samsung employees how are you today. What's your plan for the weekend?

16. Smartass macrumors 6502a

If its already bent, it will bend more pretty fast;)

17. sportello macrumors member

No doubt Samsung and co. do employ trolls. But I'm not trolling - I'm a student with a brand new phone, and some of the claims are accurate. It hurts your cause to be so dismissive, I think, considering a lot of us are eager Apple customers (we bought these phones at 3 a.m.) as well.

----------

I'd say the Plus is still worth it - it's a little fragile, but my favorite phone I've ever had by a huge margin, and after a few days of use, I don't even perceive a difference between the larger screen size and my old iPhone 5. I don't even have big hands, and I can type one handed pretty well.

My guess is if something turns out to be seriously wrong, Apple will be forced to address it in some manner. If you can, get AppleCare+ for peace of mind.

The phone is still worth it.

Edit: Damn, MacRumors forums are smart - combined my double post into a single one.

18. teabonesteak thread starter macrumors regular

well, i guess i do have the return window to see how it goes.

i do admit, i miss the super solid feeling of the 5. i never worried whenever i dropped/bumped it.

applecare it is!

19. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

How does your screen look?

I think when/if mine ever arrives I'll be most concerned with screen flaws. I am easily triggered into severe migraines by the oddest things. For example, I had to return an iPad Air and exchange it for a retina mini IPad because my eyes reacted badly to the Air's display of text. It was just such an oddball thing, really, that never came up for me before, and may never again. But anyway I'll look for anything that negatively affects the display.

Other than that, because I'll be putting the phone in a case because it is indeed so fragile, I'm going to overlook slight bends and other case imperfections if they don't affect function.

I do agree that this product has some odd oversights I wouldn't have expected out of a detailed oriented designer like Jony Ive. Parts of the 6 series seem so brilliant but other things seemed overlooked or rushed. I think they didn't think through the experience of typing on the 6Plus in landscape mode, for example. It's really difficult. Now I don't mind the protruding camera in the least, but apparently Apple minds it enough to airbrush it out of their own ads. So why didn't they redesign the case to ensure the camera doesn't have to protrude?

My 5s is a little tank. Even though it's mostly protected in a case, it took a couple of small falls off a counter and onto a hardwood floor while "naked". And it was fine. I wish the 6 series could be sturdier but I understand that likely won't be engineered into the design while big form factors are still so new for Apple. I'm not even expecting it in the S iteration.

20. sportello macrumors member

Yeah, I'd never put a case on a phone before this one. But, at least when I'm out, I feel it helps me get a grip on the Plus. The aluminum is very slippery, considering it doesn't have the squared corners of the old phones. I just got something very thin, with a rubber sort of material, that pops onto the phone easily. No need for more than that.

I get migraines too, although not for the same reason. But the screen is great. Makes me not want to go back to a Retina Mini for reading books, because the difference in pixel density is just so noticeable. At the end of the day, though, I wouldn't want to read a full novel on a 5.5 inch screen.

Re: Jony, my pet theory is he's smoking a little too much pot. I've got an eye for it, and you can tell by his interviews.

21. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Video or it didn't happen.... lol.. I just want to see how serious it is.

22. sportello macrumors member

Mine's not too serious; I doubt you could even tell in a picture. But, trying the test proposed the OP, it undoubtedly wobbles more than it should.

Aluminum is just soft. It makes sense that without proper internal support, this would happen.

23. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I think this is just natural with everything getting thinner and thinner. We have some people with Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablets and new they're just straight up warped out of the box. Nothing with an i7 processor should be .25" thick or whatever it is. People are going crazy over thinness and I think this is just the end result. I miss 2" thick laptops and candy bar cell phones that lasted a week on battery.

24. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Depends on how uncomfortable you are with it. These stuff bugs me a lot so I would probably return it. After all we spent $1000 for this phone, we have to be happy with it.

25. newone757 macrumors 6502

Why does this thread exist without pics or video?