Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
If you're still looking for zoom lenses, one lens that people don't mention much is the new EF-S 15-85mm, which is 30% less than the 17-55. All the reviews point to it as being similarly competent when it comes to sharpness; however it's not as quick (versus the f/2.8 of the 17-55).

The site http://www.the-digital-picture.com has some great reviews on lenses, but its from a perspective of a professional, so some of the stuff he calls semi-mediocre still look excellent to amateurs, like me.

As for UV filters, I may have overdone it, but I went ahead with B+W MRC UV filters on all my lenses because I'm typically a klutz so it's insurance.

fuzzylemurs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I know it is alot to ask, but I would LOVE to see a side-by-side review of 'cheap' lenses, versus 'pro' lenses taking the same photo with the same light...

I know it is juvenile of me to say that, bit i am used to being in a world of 'equipment over experience' and it seems to be the opposite with photography!

You have all been so great, and I really feel I am over my head having a conversation with you all - but do you mind if I send you some pointer requests via PM when I have a question?

I am very lucky to be a part a community that promotes growth! THANK YOU!

pamies

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Hi Fuzzylemurs,

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I bought the 500D (T1i) in November and had a lot of questions about lenses, filters, etc.

First off, I agree with everyone here who has suggested investing in some good glass. A good quality lens will make all the difference to your shots, the enjoyment you get out your kit and the creativity that flows from there. Also, don't be afraid of third-party lenses; they can be a really great option.

A decent, fast zoom for "walkabout" photography would be my first suggestion. When I bought the camera, I tested out the Canon kit lenses in the store, and at the advice of the shop assistant and a very good friend, opted instead for a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (not the stabilised version). It's a brilliant lens for the money and a fantastic upgrade from the Canon kit options. It does have a couple of drawbacks (a slow and noisy zoom being the primary one) but I'm really happy with the purchase.

I quickly realised that I also needed a decent telephoto zoom. After a couple of months of reading reviews and playing around in stores, I settled on the Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS. It was definitely a big investment for me, but I couldn't be happier. I've had the lens a couple of weeks now and I'm having so much fun with it, and I'm getting so much more out of the camera because of it.

Both lenses have B&W MRC UV filters. For me, the issue wasn't dust or dirt on the front element, but the fear that clumsiness might get the better of me and that I might accidentally scratch or seriously damage the front element of either lens. There's a lot of debate over whether or not filters are a good idea, but for me it was about protecting my investment. But DON'T cheap-out on filters. An extra $40 spent on a filter for a $1200 lens is well worth it.

Best advice from me, as a lot of others have said, is to get out and shoot, whatever kit you're using. Stick with what you've got for a few months and from there see what you'd like to invest in. Maybe you'll be hooked on portraiture and want a set of fast primes (I love the Canon 50mm and 85mm f/1.8 lenses - both brilliant for the price, and I'm about to go buy the 50mm). Maybe you'll want to try your hand at macro nature work (you should try to borrow the Canon 60mm macro from somewhere - it is a really fun lens to play with). But play around, see what you're into, and let your kit slowly evolve as you learn what it is you enjoy.

Hope this is helpful. Happy for a PM if you've got questions.

Peter :)

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I know it is alot to ask, but I would LOVE to see a side-by-side review of 'cheap' lenses, versus 'pro' lenses taking the same photo with the same light...

I know it is juvenile of me to say that, bit i am used to being in a world of 'equipment over experience' and it seems to be the opposite with photography!

You have all been so great, and I really feel I am over my head having a conversation with you all - but do you mind if I send you some pointer requests via PM when I have a question?

I am very lucky to be a part a community that promotes growth! THANK YOU!

Go to photozone.de and look at the reviews.

Good lenses are not only sharper, they give better contrast, color, and resolution. Not to mention distortion.

There is no way around it: you have to pay if you want a good lens. You can spend a lot of money on particularly fast lenses that aren't better than their slower counterparts.

But in your case it's really a key decision.

I recommend: get one really good lens instead of several mediocre ones.

Gold89

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2008
UK

Photography still is about skill over gear, I think the internet forums and countless reviews in general end up causing to forget the basics.

Correct exposure and framing of the right subject are crucial, have a look on Flickr, there are some amazing shots with the 18-55, 55-250 and the 50 1.8.

Sure that expensive gear helps get that perfect shot and for certain nature/sports/journalistic shots you need that 300 f2.8 but limited gear should never be an excuse imo.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Photography still is about skill over gear, I think the internet forums and countless reviews in general end up causing to forget the basics.

Correct exposure and framing of the right subject are crucial, have a look on Flickr, there are some amazing shots with the 18-55, 55-250 and the 50 1.8.

Sure that expensive gear helps get that perfect shot and for certain nature/sports/journalistic shots you need that 300 f2.8 but limited gear should never be an excuse imo.

+1 on your comments Gold89.
I'm "focusing" on using my current lens, kit 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS, squeezing as much mileage as possible before $$'s on other lens, and knowing what lens to buy based on usage/shots.

Composition, Exposure, then PP.

Sometimes getting too much stuff at once is data overload, at least for me.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.