Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
You guys need to get the photos from your camera rolls onto your Macs! Photos and Video usually take the most space in a backup.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Well, I think giving a discount on a computer to someone working at a computer store is a lot better than a mechanic getting a fruit plate. The computer discount is still a great deal for the employees...it just doesn't cost Apple a full $500 per employee, that's all. It's still a lot more generous than what most companies give out nowdays...which is nothing.

Yes, it was the statement I responded to that made me think of it. Not the perk itself.

What bothered me more was him believing us "peon's" were more interested in getting drunk than supporting our families. We were all busting our butt on commission for that very reason, not to get drunk. I did not feel owed the bonus, just some respect.

Last edited:

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
I paid 5.00 on fiver to max out my dropbox referrals. Worked like a charm, had it in under 3 days. I have 22 gigs now.

I have 50 on box, but not near as good.

There is also a way for anyone to get the 50 (48 actually) even on other androids. I now have 70 gigs on dropbox, 48 is for 2 years only.

Sounds good. I have unlimited hosting space/traffic on 1and1.com for $7 and I am looking for an app which would allow me to apply FTP setting to get the dropbox functionality.

rumors-reader

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
I realize this, but Apple has been under scrutiny because they do not give their employees enough perks because of how well their stores have been doing. They get a huge discount on apple computers. When I worked at Best Buy we got zilch on computers. It just seems like employees are mad because they aren't getting enough. The discount is plenty. Do your job.

What are you basing this on? Have you spoken to any Apple employees that have said they are mad because they aren't getting enough?

I know many Apple retail employees, and they do not spend any of their time saying they don't get enough. In fact, they are quite appreciative of what they do get. This iCloud storage increase is quite unexpected. It's sure to make employees happy and enthusiastic, something the store always welcomes in the madness of a busy retail day.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Apple employees will love this. Another 50GB will really help out with paying the bills.

Any Apple employees feeling they're insufficiently paid are free to seek a better job somewhere else.

Even in this economy there are plenty of employers eager to hire smart, friendly, talented, hard-working individuals. Almost any employer has some sullen slacker they'd love to replace.

kazuhide

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Where is the list of best companies to work for that says Apple is #1? Sure they make great consumer products, but actually working there?
I'm sure yer looking in the wrong place if you think a $8.33 a month perk is a reason to work at Apple. I think you can drink more than $8.33 a month in free coffee at a lot of other places.
What would give Apple employees a great perk is 15% off employee stock or actual anual stock bonuses. Even if its two shares a year. Those are likely to pay higher dividends than 50GB of icloud storage. Just sayin...

actually, all apple employees, including part-time, are all able to purchase apple stock at 15% off, it's called the employee stock purchase program. It's been around for quite some time.

combine it with the fact that apple has a nice health care plan that also covers part-time, 6% matching 401k, the aforementioned stock program, all apple software free, paid work commuting and parking at many locations, vision, dental, paid holidays, and double pay if you work a holiday, the recent 25% salary increases, and now, 50gb of icloud storage, oh yeah and the 25% all computers plus an ADDITIONAL $500 off computers for personal use...

Yeah, that stuff adds up. Not a bad retail job at all, really.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Even in this economy there are plenty of employers eager to hire smart, friendly, talented, hard-working individuals.

I'm guessing the apple employees in the us (and other places) are better than the ones here. In mexico I have not seen any that fit that description.

I am in no way saying they are like these everywhere.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
What are you basing this on? Have you spoken to any Apple employees that have said they are mad because they aren't getting enough?

I know many Apple retail employees, and they do not spend any of their time saying they don't get enough. In fact, they are quite appreciative of what they do get. This iCloud storage increase is quite unexpected. It's sure to make employees happy and enthusiastic, something the store always welcomes in the madness of a busy retail day.

There have been stories on here on a weekly basis about the employees not getting enough appreciation (AKA freebies).

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
But without iDisk, this means positively jack.

I'm guessing the apple employees in the us (and other places) are better than the ones here. In mexico I have not seen any that fit that description.

I am in no way saying they are like these everywhere.

There are no official Apple employees in Mexico.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
Hahahaa, why would anyone even bother mentioning this as a perk, it's embarrassing. I got 50GB just for buying a GS3. YIKES!

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
But without iDisk, this means positively jack.

There are no official Apple employees in Mexico.

Then who are the people working at the apple stores? Best Buy employees?

Or are you saying the apple stores are actually knock off's? I just assumed they were actual apple stores.

I know apple mexico is actually in the US and anything you order ships from there except more expensive here. Since everywhere here apple stuff is the same price (same as apple mx) it really does not matter where you buy from. That's what trips to the us are for though, stuff that's cheaper there than here.

Last edited:

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
You know, I can't help but think that they're getting rid of employees and as a result saving their money, and then giving all of these perks to the remaining employees, which is losing them money in a way (normally the employee would have to pay full price for the Macs/iCloud storage). Can they not just keep all the employees and not offer them highly discounted Macs etc?

Keep that in mind when you don't get your raise this year. The perks are apart of the job. No one would work in retail if they didn't get a discount.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Can someone explain to me why the Apple employees feel entitled to "perks"? Are they not being paid to do their job? I don't understand why people feel entitled to freebies nowadays. They already get a very generous discount. I guess it's just the world we live in.

Why the Apple employees feel entitled to perks?

I don't think these perks came about because Apple employees feel "entitled". Apple wants to take care of its employees. There wasn't a
strike demanding "more perks" or anything of that nature. Apple just
decided to give out some more perks. Oh so sorry.

----------

Keep that in mind when you don't get your raise this year. The perks are apart of the job. No one would work in retail if they didn't get a discount.

Apple employees already got a 25% raise this year.

----------

actually, all apple employees, including part-time, are all able to purchase apple stock at 15% off, it's called the employee stock purchase program. It's been around for quite some time.

combine it with the fact that apple has a nice health care plan that also covers part-time, 6% matching 401k, the aforementioned stock program, all apple software free, paid work commuting and parking at many locations, vision, dental, paid holidays, and double pay if you work a holiday, the recent 25% salary increases, and now, 50gb of icloud storage, oh yeah and the 25% all computers plus an ADDITIONAL $500 off computers for personal use...

Yeah, that stuff adds up. Not a bad retail job at all, really.

Agreed.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
50GB? Unless you could use iCloud as a storage aid to move documents off your local disk and download them when required, that's a bit o.t.t.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
I have about 175gb free from Microsoft. But that's because I have like 6 different hotmail accounts, and I was grandfathered in. Might be more.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Why are all of you so negative?

Agreed. And to the "entitlement" claims.. None of the benefits introduced this year were even requested by employees. They were surprises. $500/250 off + 25%, pay raises across the board and now iCloud storage. I am sure these were not at the top of the list of retail employee "demands".

I think the term people were looking for was appreciated.. Not entitled.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I'm annoyed that if I by one (1) iOS supporting device I get 5GB of storage and if I buy two (2) iOS devices I get 10GB (2 x 5GB = 10GB) of iCloud storage, BUT if I connect them to the same iCloud account, I only get 5GB of storage (2 x 5GB = 5GB).

This makes no sense to me. I should get my whole 5GB for both devices (10GB total)

Personally my iPhone backup uses 3.3GB and my iPad packup uses 4.8GB (and I've configured several apps NOT to use iCloud). My shared documents only uses 58MB.

Then factor in I've paid extra for the 64GB iPhone and the 64GB iPad, I might need a little more space. Those options should come with more cloud space.

But all I'm asking for is the 10GB I truly deserve :)

Gary

czeano

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Exec 1: "Hm, our employees seem to be signing up for iCloud accounts on their own. How can we figure out their user IDs so we can track them when they're outside of the office and their brain implant chip isn't near a cellular tower?"

Exec 2: "We could offer free iCloud storage, and have them activate it using an internal web app!"

Exec 1: "Perfect!"

blackize

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
The discount is $500 off a Mac, $250 off an iPad, and free 50GB of storage. If you add them all together, that comes to an $850 value. That doesn't go far in covering the cost of an employee's pay. Not to mention that to Apple, they're not really losing much cash by offering these deals to employees. Giving them iCloud space doesn't cost money like a bonus or something would. And discounts on computers don't hurt Apple's pocketbook much, either, at least not in these kinds of quantities. It's much cheaper for Apple than paying wages to a bunch of employees.

The actual discount is either $500 off a Mac OR $250 off an iPad once every 3 years with 25% employee discount coming off first. So a New iPad 16GB at $500 would be $125 before taxes. Still not bad!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.