New Photos App Detects 4,432 Total Searchable Objects and 7 Facial Expressions [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

One of Apple's first party apps that's getting a makeover in iOS 10 and macOS Sierra is Photos, bringing intensive new facial recognition and "Siri intelligence" features to the picture accumulating app. Over the weekend, a Reddit user discovered a few lines of code within the framework of Apple's beta of the macOS Sierra Photos app, possibly detailing both the specific facial expressions that the app recognizes and every single searchable object users can find in both Sierra and iOS 10.

In a more detailed Medium post, Redditor vista980622 explained that Photos will be able to "recognize and distinguish" 7 total facial expressions after the app scans a user's library and forms a "faceprint" for each individual in a picture. The expressions include greedy, disgust, neutral, scream, smiling, surprise, and suspicious.

[​IMG]

One of the biggest new additions to Photos in iOS 10 and Sierra is "Memories," a new tab that aggregates a user's pictures into logical, organized folders based on the app's new facial and object recognition abilities. vista980622 discovered every category of Memories as well, whose names are said to be "automatically generated using metadata from the photos and tags from analysis of photos."

The category names are as follows:
    Users who have been testing the first beta of iOS 10 last week mentioned the impressive search parameters of Photos, which intelligently detects and tags every picture for the scenes, objects, and landmarks captured within. In totality, there are 432 of these items that can be searched for by the user, including everyday phrases like "Apartment" and "Birthday Cake," and somewhat obscure inquiries like "Diadem" and "Gastropod."
    The full list of 432 searchable objects and scenes can be found in the Medium post shared on Reddit. As discovered within the first beta of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra, the comprehensive list is far from confirmed as accurate. All the same, many of its terms do match up with another Redditor's successfully executed searches, as well as the words they claimed failed to generate any concrete results.

Previous Coverage: See iOS 10's New Photos App in Action

Update: The list of searchable scenes and objects appears to account for around 4,432 items, as opposed to the 432 mentioned in this article and the original Medium post. It's unclear whether vista980622 made a typo in the blog post, or if groups of scenes and items -- like Art, Artistic Creation, Artistic Creations, Artistries, Artistry, Arts, Artwork, Artworks -- were grouped together to result in a smaller number.

Update 2: The author of the Medium post has acknowledged that the originally quoted 432 scenes and objects was a typo and the correct number should indeed be 4,432.

Article Link: New Photos App Detects 4,432 Total Searchable Objects and 7 Facial Expressions [Updated]

2. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Most frequently identified expression? The duck face.

3. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

Great, now I can easily categorize all my photos of ear shells and anchovies.

4. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

iPhoto had face recognition back in 2009... You can't just remove features and add them back whilst labelling it as innovation.

5. Abazigal macrumors 603

Abazigal

Apple first introduced their 64-bit processor in 2013. I wonder if they had implemented this with these features in mind. That would have been really forward-thinking of them.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

This is the only reference of face recognition I see on the page for macOS Sierra. All they're saying is that it's better. What's wrong with that?

7. thisisnotmyname macrumors 6502a

thisisnotmyname

face recognition or facial recognition? Wondering whether we're talking about identifying where a face is in general vs identifying who a face belongs to.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Possibly not with this exact feature in mind, though they would have known that moving to 64-bit would give them greater scope down the line for software development and innovation.

9. KALLT macrumors 601

iPhoto had the latter. There was really nothing new about what Photos offered in that area when it was released.

10. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

It hasn't been confirmed yet, but they are believed to be distant cousins of Bashful, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy and Sneezy. Software engineers at Cupertino are also rumoured to be working on adding magic mirrors to the list of objects that the Photos App can detect so users can sort faces into a list by the 'fairest of them all' category, but have strongly denied there is any such thing as a 'poisoned apple' to recognise, despite some early reports images of such an item had involuntarily put some users' computers to sleep.

11. iOSFangirl6001 macrumors 6502

iOSFangirl6001

Apparently if you tweak it enough, add enough to it, and rebrand it they feel you can :rolleyes:

12. leroypants macrumors 6502a

This is a disgusting invasion of my privacy, I can't even take a picture with out Google spying on me...oh wait it's Apple...never mind it's magical and a brilliant innovation.

13. Pandakopanda macrumors newbie

Some common(?) religious buildings/objects (church, mosque, cross/crucifix) seem to be missing from the list. The list contains 'Menorah' though, so maybe I'm just overly suspicious.

14. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Actually, the original version of Photos (1.0) with 10.10.3 back in April 2015 had facial recognition. I'm assuming Apple had improved upon this technology and is marketing as such.

15. myname70 macrumors 6502a

How to search in iOS 10? It does not show me any local photos but looks in the web.

16. _mdavenport macrumors regular

_mdavenport

-Tim Cook: "Siri, show me pictures where I look greedy"

-Siri: "Ok, here is a picture of you giving the thumbs up on 16gb base iPhone storage and 5400 RPM hard drives"​

17. usamaah macrumors regular

usamaah

As someone pointed out, this isn't the feature where it learns who your brother is and automatically tags all pictures that have him in it, I mean that's there too. This is that you can type in "my brother screaming" and it'll find pictures of him screaming. A fair bit more advanced.

I must have missed it, does this software require 64-bit processor?

You get it! Lol, although Google has had these features in Photos, Google's machine learning is in the cloud so you have to upload your pictures. Apple's is in Photos Application on your computer so there is more privacy. Not sure what happens when the picture gets uploaded to iCloud though. Maybe there's a database file on your computer that can match the pics uploaded to the learning it has already done.

18. freediverx macrumors 6502a

Will these features require iCloud Photo Library?

19. subjonas macrumors 6502a

This could turn out to be very useful.

I wish Photos would also allow me to tag my photos and write descriptions right on my phone after I take a picture and have it save to a sidecar xmp file. Is that in the cards?

20. thisisnotmyname macrumors 6502a

thisisnotmyname

Guess who didn't watch the keynote.

(it doesn't upload, this is done locally on device)

21. usamaah macrumors regular

usamaah

No, on device. Which makes me wonder how it'll still work if the picture does get pushed up to the cloud to make room.

22. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

[​IMG]
    Apple engineers tried to use Kristen Stewart to train it. But then agreed that the machine cannot surpass the Men that made it. And such task deemed impossible, and went to work on more Apple Watch bands instead.

23. Jared Strike macrumors member

Jared Strike

The difference here is with Google it will see that you were on vacation last year and you will then get an advert saying "it's been a year since you've been to Yosemite, book these amazing deals right now!" where as Apple will do nothing.

24. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

"Hey Siri, show me videos of people lying." should be an interesting query someday.

25. FieldingMellish Suspended

Hopefully, Apple won't make the same mistake by Google that tagged African Americans as gorillas.