Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihx

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
It's nice that you can enable the compatible format - but it's the ugliest bug of Beta 5 as well as beta 6, that this setting is not remembered!!!
From 300 photos taken on holiday I have 280 with the useless heic file extension - I can watch them on my iP7 and see a small thumbnail on the iCloud. Saved can be only as a heic, which is <censored>.
The camera is weird, from 10 photos taken within 3 minutes 7 are stored as heic and the rest as jpg!
[doublepost=1503685210][/doublepost]
I don't see the harm.
And by enabling the compatibility setting that defaults to true, you can export the photo in compatible format at will.

Please explain how to export the photos in compatible format accidentaly saved as heic by default!

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
It's nice that you can enable the compatible format - but it's the ugliest bug of Beta 5 as well as beta 6, that this setting is not remembered!!!
From 300 photos taken on holiday I have 280 with the useless heic file extension - I can watch them on my iP7 and see a small thumbnail on the iCloud. Saved can be only as a heic, which is <censored>.
The camera is weird, from 10 photos taken within 3 minutes 7 are stored as heic and the rest as jpg!
[doublepost=1503685210][/doublepost]

Please explain how to export the photos in compatible format accidentaly saved as heic by default!
It’s automatic. When you go to upload it to your computer or send it via iMessage, it converts. If it’s not working with certain apps, that’s because it’s still in beta and should work once the GM is out.

Edit: You just have this setting selected in Photos Settings.

Attachments

• 752F1CCC-62F1-4E8F-8011-E0BD898809A9.jpeg
    752F1CCC-62F1-4E8F-8011-E0BD898809A9.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

ihx

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
Chazzle thanks for the tip! Finally I have all my holiday photos back :)

ihx

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
Unfortunately I have to confirm that the annoying bug with reverting the Camera settings to default (that means auto flash, live photo on, high efficient file format) is still present in the Public Beta 8 :eek:

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Unfortunately I have to confirm that the annoying bug with reverting the Camera settings to default (that means auto flash, live photo on, high efficient file format) is still present in the Public Beta 8 :eek:

Make sure to report this through the feedback app

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Last edited:

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
Only HEIF is a container. HEIC is a codec, hence why the files are named as such. So it is not both.
I meant both, as far as public recognition/discussion goes.

Movies are also not HEVC but .MOV files but we call them and discuss about them as HEVC. So it actually doesn't matter whether we call them by their containter or codec.

And you sir may actually be wrong, as HEIC is not a codec.
HEIF is the "High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF)"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Image_File_Format

and the files/images there are compressed using HEVC.
"HEIF itself is a container, but when containing HEVC encoded images, HEIF becomes subject to HEVC patent licensing."

So the file-extension may be .heic but there is no such entity as HEIC.

And browsers also mainly see HEIF:
Internet media type image/heif, image/heic, image/heif-sequence, image/heic-sequence
Just as there is JPEG, JPG, PNG, there is HEIF as well.

So I wouldn't be so sure to run around and scream:
Only HEIF is a container. HEIC is a codec, hence why the files are named as such. So it is not both.

Because file name is .heic, so it's a container in this case as .mov for HEVC video compressed file, or .mov for h264, or .heic for HEIF image, HEVC compressed image.

And your logic may be biased, heic is a codec hence the filename.
Wrong again, MKV is not a codec, it's a good container for video, sound and even subtitle tracks.

Furthermore, you claim that heic is the codec hence the filename. But that's almost the opposite.
H264 videos are not named .h264 and hevc videos are not named filename.hevc

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I meant both, as far as public recognition/discussion goes.
Ah, fair enough.

Movies are also not HEVC but .MOV files but we call them and discuss about them as HEVC. So it actually doesn't matter whether we call them by their containter or codec.
I was merely trying to point out facts and correct errors in your post.

And you sir may actually be wrong, as HEIC is not a codec.
Yes it is. Your Wikipedia link even says so.

HEIF is the "High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF)"

and the files/images there are compressed using HEVC.
"HEIF itself is a container, but when containing HEVC encoded images, HEIF becomes subject to HEVC patent licensing."
...Which makes HEVC a codec. It is even part of its name - From your own link:
The HEIF specification also defines the means of storing High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC)-encoded intra images and HEVC-encoded image sequences in which inter prediction is applied in a constrained manner.

So the file-extension may be .heic but there is no such entity as HEIC.
Of course there is. A .heic file is an image file. Just look at post 1 in this thread.

And browsers also mainly see HEIF:
Internet media type image/heif, image/heic, image/heif-sequence, image/heic-sequence
Just as there is JPEG, JPG, PNG, there is HEIF as well.
HEIF support does not equal HEIC support, although it most cases they are both supported of course. JPG, PNG, and other are also image files - Not containers.

So I wouldn't be so sure to run around and scream
Well, you should.

Because file name is .heic, so it's a container in this case as .mov for HEVC video compressed file, or .mov for h264, or .heic for HEIF image, HEVC compressed image.
HEIC again is not a container. MOV and HEIF are containers.
And ".heic for HEIF image" is an oxymoron.

And your logic may be biased, heic is a codec hence the filename.
Wrong again, MKV is not a codec, it's a good container for video, sound and even subtitle tracks.
I never said MKV is a codec. Why you bring it up, I have no idea? And why it makes me biased is even weirder. I assume it is because you are wrong again, as explained below.

Furthermore, you claim that heic is the codec hence the filename. But that's almost the opposite.
H264 videos are not named .h264 and hevc videos are not named filename.hevc
h264 is a codec, not a container. And to completely shut you down here, yes, the .h264 suffix is indeed a valid video file and can therefore be named as such. Just because you haven't seen one, since people usually put them in containers, does not mean it doesn't exist.

Reactions: willmtaylor

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
I'm not saying that HEVC is not a codec. It is a codec in 100%.

Maybe you misread my posts? HEVC is a codec and I agree. I was replying to HEIC.
[doublepost=1504514900][/doublepost]
Ah, fair enough.

I was merely trying to point out facts and correct errors in your post.

...Which makes HEVC a codec. It is even part of its name - From your own link:

Of course there is. A .heic file is an image file. Just look at post 1 in this thread.

HEIF support does not equal HEIC support, although it most cases they are both supported of course. JPG, PNG, and other are also image files - Not containers.

Well, you should.

HEIC again is not a container. MOV and HEIF are containers.
And ".heic for HEIF image" is an oxymoron.

I never said MKV is a codec. Why you bring it up, I have no idea? And why it makes me biased is even weirder. I assume it is because you are wrong again, as explained below.

h264 is a codec, not a container. And to completely shut you down here, yes, the .h264 suffix is indeed a valid video file and can therefore be named as such. Just because you haven't seen one, since people usually put them in containers, does not mean it doesn't exist.
You said that HEIC is a codec and I gave you a link, and there is nothing about HEIC being a codec.
[doublepost=1504514957][/doublepost]
Where does this link say anything about HEIC being a codec?

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Just open photo, edit, then (what I do is) move crop angel slightly and back to 0, then click Done - that’s another way to convert it/make it work..

Imgur wouldn’t read original, did this and now it’ll upload it

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
But it seems the OP didn’t have that option when he uploaded his pictures.
I know, it's just beta, things are changing and situation is developing from day to day. Since he started this topic, Dropbox had 3 updates:
dropbox.PNG

So I guess major apps will take advantage of new format and APIs for backward compatibility.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.