Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The team behind the popular Pixelmator photo editing app for iOS and Mac today launched its latest Mac app, Pixelmator Pro. Pixelmator Pro is a more advanced version of its existing Pixelmator software, built from the ground up for the Mac.

First announced in September, Pixelmator Pro features a reimagined workflow with simplified editing tools, a single-window interface, and intelligent image editing features powered by machine learning.

pixelmatorpro-800x450.jpg

The software uses the Core ML framework built into macOS High Sierra to power features like automatic horizon detection, smarter quick selections, and better repair tools for removing unwanted objects from photos.

Non-destructive image editing is a key feature, and there are new tools for resizing and rearranging layers. New color adjustment tools and RAW support make it easy to quickly adjust photos, and there's an entirely new painting engine and dynamic paint blending technology powered by Metal 2, along with new brushes.

For those who are used to Pixelmator, the new Pixelmator Pro interface is quite a bit different and may take a bit of time to adjust to, but it is easier to locate tools, especially for new users.

The repair tool for editing objects out of a photo is much improved and eliminates objects much more seamlessly with just a few clicks, and tools for selectively adjusting color, brightness, sharpness, and other image aspects are more easily accessible.

Painting with the new painting tools is an entirely different experience thanks to the blending options, and there are a ton of new brushes and styles to experiment with. For photo editing, a new Recipes feature lets you build and save nondestructive effects.

It's much, much easier to work with multiple layers in the new version of Pixelmator using a new left-handed layer bar that allows layers to be quickly rearranged, resized, grouped, and more. There are also new guidelines for automatic spacing adjustments that are similar to what's available in Photoshop, and quick selection seems to be much improved.

Pixelmator Pro can be downloaded from the Mac App Store or from the Pixelmator website. On the Pixelmator website, users can get a free 30-day trial to test the app, which is priced at $59.

Article Link: New 'Pixelmator Pro' Photo Editing App for Mac Now Available

Reactions: TMRJIJ

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
I tried to switch to Pixelmator for a bit on Mac ages ago, but the type tool just wasn't comparable to Photoshop. I need things like leading/line-height, kerning/letter-spacing. Does anyone know if this has been updated?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Best app ever gets even better. Bought and it will serve me for another 8 years as Pixemator did.
[doublepost=1511950898][/doublepost]
Requires High Sierra. So that's a 'no' from me.
Sure it uses new tech

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Best app ever gets even better. Bought and it will serve me for another 8 years as Pixemator did.
[doublepost=1511950898][/doublepost]
Sure it uses new tech
Yeah but no backwards support at all. It's not their fault, but I'm not upgrading to High Sierra until Apple fixes the mess.

Reactions: O.N.Y.X and BWhaler

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I tried to switch to Pixelmator for a bit on Mac ages ago, but the type tool just wasn't comparable to Photoshop. I need things like leading/line-height, kerning/letter-spacing. Does anyone know if this has been updated?
Take a look at Affinity Photo. There's also a free trial available (at the bottom of the webpage).

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I see they also have an iOS app but no mention of Pixelmator Pro compatibility. So does your work sync with iCloud and then you can continue working on your iPad Pro or iPhone for example?

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Isn't there a discount for people who has previous version of Pixelmator?

In case of wanting to spend 60$ on a good photo editing software, which one gives you more options, Affinity or Pixelmator Pro? And editing options?

Thank you.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017

In case of wanting to spend 60$ on a good photo editing software, which one gives you more options, Affinity or Pixelmator Pro? And editing options?

Thank you.
Use the trials and see for yourself... Personally I see Pixelmator more for creating content and Affinity fo edit photos..

Both great softwares, but to me different purpose.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010

Thank you.
There is no discount as it’s a separate product, not an upgrade.

Reactions: Populus

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
The normal Pixelmator also have basic leading and kerning support, in Pixelmator Pro the support is via the MacOS native "Character Spacing", and "Baseline" is also available. Line height can be chosen from 0,01 and upwards to 10,00. Letter spacing will take into account ligatures and other features from the font, it uses the Apple APIs for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: sfwalter

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Does anyone know if there's a student discount?

$59 is dirt cheap already for it's capabilities. But discount iTunes cards are readily available this time of year. Not hard to find them on sale for 15% off which would make it it around $50. Do a search at slickdeals.com or one of the other "bargain" discussion sites.

Reactions: Keane16 and BWhaler

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
For you. Working great so far for me on a 2017 MBP / High Sierra 10.13.1, but there's likely to be a mixed bag for people as it gets out into the wild and bugs get exposed.

Mine crashes after second splash screen in trial version.

Trial version MBA 2013 10.13

KENPHOTO

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
For you. Working great so far for me on a 2017 MBP / High Sierra 10.13.1, but there's likely to be a mixed bag for people as it gets out into the wild and bugs get exposed.
well, not working for me either on a late 2016 MacBook Pro Retina with High Sierra.

Reactions: macintoshmac

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Why? High Sierra is great, you don't even need a password to log in!
:))))

Good one.
High Sierra for me is the most lame release of OS from Apple in the past 10 years.

To me Pixelmator Pro seems to have some approach on this as FCPX, Aperture/Apple Style all together.
I just wish it would be able do to Photo Management as Lightroom.
I am sick an tired of Lightroom's slowness and very unintuitive / lack of taste in design interface.
I miss Aperture's approach and I wish someone would have a similar view on this.

Pixelmator Pro may be something I am interested in = though I downloaded the trial and it crashes on Start-up so... yeah... not very promising... :)

Reactions: BWhaler

KENPHOTO

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
What trial version? Where did you get that?
Trial is available on the Pixelmator Pro Website, click on "Explore" and on the bottom right, it has option for trial, although the trial does not appear to be working for most people.
[doublepost=1511958298][/doublepost]I
:))))

Good one.
High Sierra for me is the most lame release of OS from Apple in the past 10 years.

To me Pixelmator Pro seems to have some approach on this as FCPX, Aperture/Apple Style all together.
I just wish it would be able do to Photo Management as Lightroom.
I am sick an tired of Lightroom's slowness and very unintuitive / lack of taste in design interface.
I miss Aperture's approach and I wish someone would have a similar view on this.

Pixelmator Pro may be something I am interested in = though I downloaded the trial and it crashes on Start-up so... yeah... not very promising... :)
I also wish that someone would make a decent Lightroom replacement (Digital Asset Management) at least.

Reactions: rmbpuser
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.