New 'Pixelmator Pro' Photo Editing App for Mac Now Available

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 29, 2017.

1. r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

I wonder if there's an issue with the trial version itself? I've got the paid-for version, no issues thus far.

2. Freida macrumors 65816

That was not my question. I have ON1 Raw 2017 and that was not the best purchase I've made so I wanna know about Pixelmator as that does look like the kinda thing I like. Affinity didn't really impress me but I haven't tried it.
    I'll try Pixelmator tonight when I get home and hope it will deliver :)
    And if they have iPad version soon that is good then the deal is sealed and here comes my new purchase -> iPad Pro + Apple Pencil :)

3. Bustycat macrumors member

Bustycat

A great software only compatible with a buggy operating system...

4. Smigit, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

Smigit macrumors regular

Nope. I believe $60USD is an introductory price based on an article I read when the launch date was revealed, and the devs had indicated it’d probably settle at about $100 with time following some of the updates.

Looks like I won’t be able to run the app unfortunately on my 2011 MBP. Metal supports a requirement, with models indicated at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073.

Shame, I was looking forward to this release.

5. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Looking forward to the iPad release when it appears.

6. rmbpuser macrumors 6502

Thanks! Kind of buried in there.

7. GoAndrius macrumors newbie

GoAndrius

Hey everyone, we've just uploaded a new trial version of Pixelmator Pro, which has a fix for the crash on launch issue and it looks to be working for most people — you can grab it here: pixelmator.com/pro/free-trial/

8. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Thanks for the update.
    Any news on when the iPad version will be available? Are we talking weeks or months? Just curious.

9. GoAndrius macrumors newbie

GoAndrius

I can't really give a specific timeframe, but one thing I can say is — the iPad version is up next!

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

60 dollars is a fair price for such a complex product. I know everyone wants to pay 1.99 for apps these days but its much cheaper then Lightroom or other offering's like One1 or Capture One (which costs 299)

11. YaBe macrumors 6502

YaBe

I am sorry you had "bad" experiences, but talking about a product you haven't tried makes you lose credibility....try the demo, then pick your favourite.

For me ....Affinity forever (have it for the Mac...well my wife and have it on my iPad Pro with pencil!) !

12. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Perhaps you can send them an email and make an offer they cannot refuse.

13. Brammy macrumors 65816

How does it compare to Affinity Photo? Can it handle any photoshop brush, or just the ABR brushes?

14. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I'm really interested in Vectormator. I've switched to Affinity Designer + Photo from Pixelmator just beacuse of Designer. I will purchase Pixelmator Pro for sure, even if I don't end up using it. Just to support you guys.

But the Vectormator could bring me back to Pixelmator as well. Any news on release date? In the next 2-3 months?

15. forerunnerg34 macrumors 6502

forerunnerg34

16. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Ditto. I was excited for Pixelmator Pro, but not upgrading my OS. Thank you for posting this.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 29, 2017 ---
    Priceless. :p Thank you for the laugh.

17. tkukoc, Nov 29, 2017

tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Same question... because Affinity has been my go to for a while now. I use to use pixelmator for everything at first but it didn't fit my needs. Wondering if this is finally able to compete with Affinity products because those are near perfect photoshop replacements. For the price, I'll probably bite but curious what the cost will be on the iPad?

18. Brammy macrumors 65816

I'm curious also. Will probably bite also.

19. FredT2 macrumors 6502a

It has the usual set of photo editing tools. Performance is very good with a nice clean interface. However it's not really an Aperture or Lightroom replacement since it has no DAM functions and saves it's own (very large) files. I use the old version as a Photoshop replacement.

20. Brammy macrumors 65816

One other question: can I adjust the white point via a picker like I can in Lightroom? Can I choose a point in a photo that I want the image to use as a white point?

Photo doesn't do this and just has a slider for overall white balance I think.

21. malko, Nov 29, 2017

malko macrumors member

Testing out the trial version now. Functionally I like Pixelmator Pro so far. My only problem is that the toolbars take up way too much horizontal screen estate on my 12" Macbook (which otherwise is powerful enough with i7 and 16 GB ram). So much that it is a dealbreaker for me.

22. thingstoponder macrumors 6502

thingstoponder

You have a 2017 iMac and you're not running High Sierra?

23. B3yondL macrumors member

B3yondL

I really want that dark theme across the system.

24. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

The $60 is a promotional price right? It's going to go up eventually?

25. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Yeah, I remember hearing that it will eventually go up to $100. It’s an instant buy for me at $60. I’m just happy to see they didn’t go for the subscription model nonsense that is plaguing the App Store.