Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm absolutely thrilled to bits to get this! After much bemoaning how PPC prices are getting ridiculous now, I managed to score this for £50. It's the 667Mhz model (alas not the DVI version), 1 Gb RAM, Airport, DVD and best of all, a new battery plus an unopened spare still in it's wrapper! There's only a little paint missing but no cracks and the hinges are intact. The hard drive is the stock original and sounds a bit creaky but I'm fine with that.
I've installed OS 9.2.2 only for the moment...I may fit in Tiger at some point.
Some photos if you're interested:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 94
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 90

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
...and more..

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 91
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 139

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks :) This will be my first 'indulgent' Mac - that is I bought it purely to have rather than use - I couldn't resist given the price and condition. I'm just toying with downgrading my router to WEP security now so it can do wireless too!

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
you'll find a use for it. i thought that i bought my cube "just to have" and i found a use for it.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
you'll find a use for it. i thought that i bought my cube "just to have" and i found a use for it.

I thought that too for the first few PPC Macs I bought. 40 some later, I find that there are some that just really have no purpose...

It hasn't slowed me down any, though

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I have same model (DVI one) but no where as nice cond.

If you install tiger and then use leopardassist you can install Leopard.

Believe it or not but Leopard runs better then Tiger or in fact OS 9 on these Ti's! In fact it run's fairly well!

note: My testing was done with newer 2012 60gig ide drive...

note: If you do install Leopard after doing all the updates you will need to find and dl quicktime 770 in order for itunes 10.6.3 to work...I also rec you use webkite (Im using stable 537 ver) over tenfourfox as it simple runs better on these machines...I would also rec you run uninstall flashplayer osx 10.4 (yes right ver to uninstall on leopard)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I have same model (DVI one) but no where as nice cond.

If you install tiger and then use leopardassist you can install Leopard.

Believe it or not but Leopard runs better then Tiger or in fact OS 9 on these Ti's! In fact it run's fairly well!

note: My testing was done with newer 2012 60gig ide drive...

note: If you do install Leopard after doing all the updates you will need to find and dl quicktime 770 in order for itunes 10.6.3 to work...I also rec you use webkite (Im using stable 537 ver) over tenfourfox as it simple runs better on these machines...I would also rec you run uninstall flashplayer osx 10.4 (yes right ver to uninstall on leopard)

Yours has 1Mb L3 cache, the VGA model has no L3 - I suspect that's why yours handles Leopard so well. Your newer hard drive helps too - I had a 667 DVI years ago and put a 7200RPM disk into it - it was a huge improvement!

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Thanks :) This will be my first 'indulgent' Mac - that is I bought it purely to have rather than use - I couldn't resist given the price and condition. I'm just toying with downgrading my router to WEP security now so it can do wireless too!

I'd recommend getting an old Apple Airport and connecting that to your router, so you can broadcast a second Wi-Fi network as WEP for your old devices without needing to mingle with your main network.

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
I'd recommend getting an old Apple Airport and connecting that to your router, so you can broadcast a second Wi-Fi network as WEP for your old devices without needing to mingle with your main network.

I was using a original Time Capsule via ethernet with my FIOS router, I just setup a WEP wireless network for my classic Macs. I hide the wireless ID.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

I was just about to ask a question about that very thing - looks like that's the way to go.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I was using a original Time Capsule via ethernet with my FIOS router, I just setup a WEP wireless network for my classic Macs. I hide the wireless ID.

There is little point in hiding SSIDs or restricting access to specific MAC addresses. These are very easily sniffed and spoofed. If someone is intent on breaking into your WEP network it is going to happen regardless. Your best bet is to limit the range of your WEP network and hope there are enough unsecured networks blaring away nearby to attract the freeloaders and the curious.

You could try using something like Netgear's Universal WiFi adapter if you don't mind something hanging off your Powerbook. One USB port is enough to power it and you will get WPA2 security plus 802.11n speeds.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You could try using something like Netgear's Universal WiFi adapter if you don't mind something hanging off your Powerbook. One USB port is enough to power it and you will get WPA2 security plus 802.11n speeds.

As far as I know, though, that won't work in OS 9-the only WiFi option really is an Airport or Airport-compatible card and WEP security.

Otherwise, for OS X use, I use an Airport Extreme compatible 802.11g PCMCIA card that can connect to WPA/WPA2 networks in 10.4 and later. Even though this does leave a black box hanging out of the side of the computer, it's a bit more secure than a USB dongle and I think probably faster than 802.11n over a USB 1.1 port.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Correct. IIRC you need OS X 10.3 or later for WPA support.

I've got an old router re-configured as an AP with an early version of WPA for Tiger on the PowerBook. It gets turned on when it's needed. I refuse to step back to WEP as it's ridiculously easy to crack, and as weckart says MAC filtering and "hiding" the SSID is ineffective.

My OS9 "solution" is to use a Wireless Signal booster I got sent by my ISP (http://www.sky.com/products/kit/wireless-booster). It doubles up as a Wireless bridge (an unadvertised feature), so I can cable it to the Ethernet port and get N speeds and WPA 2 encryption.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino

Those N speeds won't matter if your using a 1.1 USB port :p

EDIT: Didnt wanna double post.

Also wanted to say that TiBook makes me jealous :)

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Wow thats the exact model of my first mac, so jealous right now. Mine died sadly due to logic board failure.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Looks good!

I'd like to upgrade the HD in mine as well. The 5200/5400rpm or whatever it is feel slow. Especially in that I've had SSD's in my laptops for the past 3 years or so.

£50 = $74. I spent $65 ($90-25 refund due to undisclosed issues) on my 1ghz/512mb model with shipping. The case condition seems pretty compatible, it looks like we both have one minor imperfection that stands out but most of these guys are in terrible shape. My guy's LCD is splotchy and needs a new battery. I ordered a replacement keyboard due to a broken #2 key. It looks like you got a good deal though. A sealed battery is a nice surprise. A RAM upgrade is on my radar as well, you're lucky to have the max.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
As far as I know, though, that won't work in OS 9-the only WiFi option really is an Airport or Airport-compatible card and WEP security.

??? It is OS independent. All of the software is in the WiFi unit and configured through a browser.

Those N speeds won't matter if your using a 1.1 USB port :p

The USB supplies the power, nothing more. Data goes through the Ethernet port. I think you are fine up to and beyond 802.11ac given that that has yet to saturate a Gigabit port.

Smaller versions of this sort of thing are available, I believe, so about as intrusive as a conventional WiFi dongle.

Attachments

• img-avChart.jpg
    img-avChart.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 149

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Looks good!

I'd like to upgrade the HD in mine as well. The 5200/5400rpm or whatever it is feel slow. Especially in that I've had SSD's in my laptops for the past 3 years or so.

£50 = $74. I spent $65 ($90-25 refund due to undisclosed issues) on my 1ghz/512mb model with shipping. The case condition seems pretty compatible, it looks like we both have one minor imperfection that stands out but most of these guys are in terrible shape. My guy's LCD is splotchy and needs a new battery. I ordered a replacement keyboard due to a broken #2 key. It looks like you got a good deal though. A sealed battery is a nice surprise. A RAM upgrade is on my radar as well, you're lucky to have the max.

The 1Ghz model was what I'd been looking out for but hadn't seen any lately. I'm sure that model, especially with the 1Mb L3 cache flies on OS9 - that's my only gripe with my purchase, the lack of L3...but I knew what to expect and I'm happy anyhow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.