New Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dronecatcher, Mar 14, 2015.

1. weckart macrumors 601

Exactly, except you somewhat lose the concept of wireless internet access with a fixed cable to a switch. The Netgear and similar bridge devices like the TPlink WR702 represent the next best option where conventional WiFi cards and dongles won't work.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

Sorry, I guess I should look up the product you're talking about before spouting off about it :rolleyes:

That indeed looks like a good solution, albeit a bit bulky. I'm going to have to looking into getting one.

3. weckart macrumors 601

The Netgear isn't too bad. About twice the size of a typical WiFi dongle as you can see from mine below, although designed primarily for stationary devices.

However, if you can live with 150Mb/s there are smaller routers around. ASUS makes one AA sized (2nd image below) and it should function as a bridge. You can probably find cheaper copies on sites like DealExtreme or Alibaba.

Attached Files:

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Ahh, the tool-less RAM upgrade was my favorite feature of these.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

I have a 7200 rpm in my 867mhz Ti, and it does make a difference. I had a bit of a fun adventure with that particular 7200rpm drive, detailed here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1844555

It does perk things up nicely. I think, though, that with the prices 7200rpm 44-pin drives are bringing today, I won't be buying another one. I can put a 128gb mSATA SSD in for about $60, and it's hard for me to spend $40 on a 7200rpm drive when I can do that.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

7200 does make a big difference. First thing I did to my TiBook was to swap one a spare one in as it only had a 4200rpm 30GB. Bought the 60GB IBM 7200rpm one at launch to go in a PC laptop. Must be about 12 years ago and it cost me a small fortune at the time...

7. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

7200s are also power drains, noisy, and vibrate. I find them uncomfortable in 15" Powerbooks(both Ti and Al) where they are right under the trackpad.

I couldn't wait to ditch the one in my DLSD, and as money permits will probably be installing SSDs in at least one or two of my TiBooks.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

This one is fine in the TiBook as it's got flexible mounts. Bearings are nice and silent too. It was hard mounted in the Dell P3, so you could feel the vibration through the palmrest. Battery life dropped about 5% on that machine but it was far more productive to use which made up for it.