New PowerMac G6 box design?

steve jr.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
330
4
Akron, OH
I'm not really sure where to post this, and thus far I haven't seen anything on it, so here I am.

Here is a link that has a lot of pictures of the Intel Developer boxes.

Notice something about them? Look at all of the empty space! I think Apple will be sure to create a new design for the Intel machines. What do you all think?


 

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
776
175
Left Coast
i don't know about anybody else, but i would like to see a very similar case (aluminum) with a second drive bay.

it looks like they have enough space in there to do that now.
 

jaysmith

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
157
0
i hope they do a combination of the g4/g5 design, which both have some great design cues. i've always liked the clear plastic-ish casings on g4 pm's and monitors, as well as the clean metalllic g5's. who knows.
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,574
2,909
i dont think he thinks these are the G6 cases. i think hes posting the dev Mactels to give us an idea to what the new G6's may look like, with their miniture insides.

personally i love the G5 case, its just too beautiful. alas, they are out of my price range and will change design for the G6. ho hum.
 

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
1,317
0
I live in a giant bucket!
I wouldn't be suprised if they shrank it down a bit, but with graphics cards nowadays taking up almost two ports and such I don't think they will make them to much smaller.

I always thought it would be a good idea to almost keep the larger size now that everyone is use to it and try to use the extra space to make it as silent as possible.
 

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
3,370
0
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
The new Powermacs will almost certainly sport a new case. I'm betting a lot that it will change. It will likely shrink...by a lot.

**Just don't get rid of the Indigo motherboards!!!**
 

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
4,360
367
It will most definitley sport a new case as said above.

Has there ever been a product to keep it's same case after a HUGE product change...?
i.e. PowerBook G3 - PowerBook G4
i.e. PowerMac G3 - PowerMac G4
i.e. PowerMac G4 - PowerMac G5
i.e. iBook G3 Clamshell - iBook G3 snow?
 

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
5,393
8
San Francisco
First of all I really hope they don't call it the G6, I'm getting tired of those names. Not to mention isn't there a car named the G6.

I bet the new case will be totally white. Probably plastic, picking up accents from the iMac and iBook. A new Professional model might be black? that would be cool.
 

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
439
0
Toronto
GimmeSlack12 said:
First of all I really hope they don't call it the G6, I'm getting tired of those names. Not to mention isn't there a car named the G6.

I bet the new case will be totally white. Probably plastic, picking up accents from the iMac and iBook. A new Professional model might be black? that would be cool.
Well, I sure hope you are in fact betting, because I will take up your bet... and then I will take your money. And that would be fun. How about $100?

I would really like apple to change the case a bit: I feel it's too large and could stand to shed a few pounds, but I have this weird nagging feeling that Apple just isn't going to do it. I guess it's called pulling an Apple: not changing the product when it ain't broke.

If they were to make some kind of case modification I would be willing to assume that it wouldn't go beyond switching the current optical drive to a slot loading variation. Of course the look of those drives is quite elegant, but I prefer the current drive as it makes it easier to drop in CDs since I keep my beast on the ground.
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,974
390
Bloody hell!! That's nigh on empty!!

I reckon you could get the new PowerMac case inside the old one if they do a little creative designing, mind you I would absolutely love the same design but at about 2/3 the size (and weight! she's a hefty ol' girl the G5)
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,974
390
I could also see a PowerMac mini based on a 2/3 scale case with similar specs to the iMac G5, three models:

Single 1.8GHz G5 Max 2GB RAM

Single 2.0GHz G5 Max 2GB RAM

Single 2.3GHz G5 Max 4GB RAM

All with upgradeable AGP video card (not sure if I'd let it drive the 30" display), a couple of PCI(-X? maybe...) ports, 2 Firewire, 4 USB 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 8x Dual-layer Superdrive (keep the 16x for the regular PowerMac).

Prices to fill in the gap between iMac and PowerMac
 

scarlco

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
65
0
Ossining, NY
I'd be willing to bet that the case design will indeed be different, to reflect the massive change. The photo we've seen here won't be anything like the final product - it's simply a stock intel board mounted into a modified case of current style. Eventually, when it's time for the change, Apple will start producing their own motherboards, which will be made to fit into the new cases... whatever size they may be. They won't be too small - there's got to be room for upgrading and expansion beyond a single video card. Perhaps some extra drive bays... both internal and external?

One thing i'm sure of is that it won't be white. That's the color reserved for the consumer line. They'll probably stick with a metallic color with not much of a gloss. The perforated face may change - it'll still be open, to allow for good airflow, but it'll be something visually apparant like a different perforated pattern or sections of solid materials.

Apple is doing well with the simplicity of their line. They'll stick with that, while offering options for the end user to customize a bit and make it their own.

Of course, I'm talking out of my rear here. But hey, aren't we all?
 

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
1,740
0
Cardiff, Wales
We shouldn't be looking at the current G5 line, Apple have said that these are just sample machines. Do not read anything into them.

I personally think that we'll get thinner machines, smaller and even more stylish machines. Think of the iMac G5, its thin. But it's still thicker than it needs to be due to the fan/heatsink of the G5 CPU. So, imagine a really thin iMac G5. OK, not 1inch thick liket he PowerBooks, but 1.5? that's small.

Can't wait to see Apple's future lineup.
 

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
1,956
4
Jimong5 said:
ahem



:D big change :D
Uhhh.... I think you have 2 g4s there.... Our old G3 was like this:


There were 3 models... There was a tower... As shown in this pic..
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
steve jr. said:
I'm not really sure where to post this, and thus far I haven't seen anything on it, so here I am.

Here is a link that has a lot of pictures of the Intel Developer boxes.

Notice something about them? Look at all of the empty space! I think Apple will be sure to create a new design for the Intel machines. What do you all think?

Oh the PowerMac will most proberly have the same size....there needs to be room for another chip + cooling for it......if there is anyother spce left...more HDD bays or expansion slots ;)

And if not...they can and should just give it a really good and dead silent cooling system :D
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Chundles said:
All with upgradeable AGP video card (not sure if I'd let it drive the 30" display), a couple of PCI(-X? maybe...) ports, 2 Firewire, 4 USB 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 8x Dual-layer Superdrive (keep the 16x for the regular PowerMac).
AGP?

Hello? 1997 just called and wanted to get its technology back :D

PCIe for the win!
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
Chundles said:
I could also see a PowerMac mini based on a 2/3 scale case with similar specs to the iMac G5, three models:

Single 1.8GHz G5 Max 2GB RAM

Single 2.0GHz G5 Max 2GB RAM

Single 2.3GHz G5 Max 4GB RAM

All with upgradeable AGP video card (not sure if I'd let it drive the 30" display), a couple of PCI(-X? maybe...) ports, 2 Firewire, 4 USB 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 8x Dual-layer Superdrive (keep the 16x for the regular PowerMac).

Prices to fill in the gap between iMac and PowerMac
:eek: :eek:

What a machine with the same CPU but no sceen for a higher price...maybe same price or less ;)
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,974
390
generik said:
AGP?

Hello? 1997 just called and wanted to get its technology back :D

PCIe for the win!

Woah, slow down, we've just dispensed with 1996 technology, don't get too far ahead of yourself. I'm not going for some flashy new high tech system, I'm trying to imagine a system Apple would actually give us ie, something that works perfectly for 95% of the population but just short enough on features for the other 5% to whinge and moan about at the top of their voices.


;) :D
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
Chundles said:
Woah, slow down, we've just dispensed with 1996 technology, don't get too far ahead of yourself. I'm not going for some flashy new high tech system, I'm trying to imagine a system Apple would actually give us ie, something that works perfectly for 95% of the population but just short enough on features for the other 5% to whinge and moan about at the top of their voices.


;) :D
I agree with PCIe but for a graphics card except the Geforece 7800 there is no use for PCIe.......all the other cards are AGP native...and also cant take advantage of PCIe because AGP can still handle the load ;)
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.