New price point on refurb MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sebseb81, Jan 23, 2011.

1. sebseb81 macrumors member

I just saw today that the newest model 2.4 GHz MBP was listed on the refurb page for $999. I'm pretty sure these are usually listed at $1019. Only a $20 difference, but psychologically it makes a bigger difference.

Anyone think this could be a sign that they are clearing out inventory? Or that the next gen MBP might have a lower price point?

I've attached a screenshot. On the refurb listing page, it says "Save $200 off/16% off."

Attached Files:

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It was 1019 before and now it's additional 20 dollars off or 1 % off. Sorry, no. I don't see it at all.

There will be no MBP update until 2011 March. Apple's primary focus in iPad right now. I don't see MBP update until April at earliest. As a matter of fact, I expect update to be done in WWDC 2011.

There is no way next MBP will have a lower price point. If you want cheaper price, then you should buy one right now or wait for a new refurbished. People are going crazy about how 13 MBA performance is beating 13 MBP. This is due to the SSD on MBA. SSD is very expensive still and apple will most likely going to charge same or more for next MBP as long as they put SSD in it.

Apple doesn't make products cheaper. They focus on making things better as they should.

3. altecXP macrumors 65816

MicroCenter has all new 13in MBP for $999. Why not just order a new one?

4. riz78612 macrumors regular

Not correct

Thats not 100% correct.

At one time a 2008 or 2009 the price of the Macbook Pro did go down and they made it better.
    They made the entry level cheaper and the high end cheaper by about a few hundred $ and £.

If you could look up the prices of the MBP for 13/15/17 for each update since the unibody came in then you will know / understand what im saying is true.

Another example is the Macbook air..they made it much better faster and cheaper.....do i say any more...

Its not all the time they make it cheaper...alot of times they do make it more expensive...but iv noticed every time they make it expensive in the next edition they make it similar/same price exactly or even cheaper.

5. sebseb81 thread starter macrumors member

hcho3, altecXP- please note, I was not asking for buying advice, just offering up a topic for conversation.

I, for one, think that if the theme from the Macbook Air presentation in Oct. ("Back to the Mac") is really being pursued (i.e. there will an integration of iOS devices and ideas into the Mac lineup), then we can look forward to substantial changes in the Mac lineup in the next two years. Those changes might or might not include price changes. As riz78612 pointed out, prices do sometimes decline.

6. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

This is just speculation on your part.

Ipads and new MBP came the same month last year. They dont have primary focuses. They have multiple business units that work in parallel. No one can say when one product or another will be released with any certainty.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

13in MBP Refurbs have been listed around $999 nothing has changed

2008 15in MBP 1299-1499
    2009 15in MBP $1449-up
    2010 15in MBP $1599-up

Somewhere when the 2009 MBP came out there was a slight difference in the Refurb because the price on the new MBP had changed.

But really in hindsight the prices have always reflect the age and price of the current ones.

8. sebseb81 thread starter macrumors member

I've seen pre-2010 13in MBPs for as low as $929, but I haven't seen 2010 MBPs (i.e. current models) for $999 before.

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I know the i5/i7 2.4, 2.53, and 2.66 have all been sitting at 1529, 1699, and 1869 for a few weeks now. Were those higher at some point? If so, when?

10. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

your correct...the first the 2010 MBP has been 999 has been this past week

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I said focus on things. I never said they always keep the same price. you even said it's not all the time they make it cheaper. I believe when I say focus it means, they try to concentrate most. I never ever said always.

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Isn't the macrumors? Aren't we hear to speculate? Doesn't the person have the right to speculate?
    No one can say? Do we live in North koera or China? This is a place with discussion and prediction. I am allowed to say w/e I want as long as I don't offend anyone. My speculation? Yes, it's my right to speculate. Don't quote on me unless you know for 100% that apple will do what they did last year on releasing MBP and ipad same months. Do you work for apple? No. You don't know anymore than I do, so you are speculating just like I am.

13. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

You make no sense here about quoting you.

I quoted your knowledge of the iPad being the primary focus; like you know it for fact. As I correctly pointed out they have no primary focus. They have business units, that work in parallel.

And what I wrote about the timing of last years iPad and MBP was another fact. Did you even know that?

I speculated on nothing in my post. I suggest you read it again.

I just added some facts to support my view on your speculation. That's also what forums are for you know.

14. robvas macrumors 68020

Good call, that's how I got mine almost a year ago.

15. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

My nearby apple store matched micro center on the 13" MacBook pro and a iMac 21.5".

No issues at all. Smart way to buy.

16. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

wow does ssd make such a huge difference? which means with the MBPs processor (or even hopefully sandy bridge) and an ssd, it will be even faster than mba. 7 second boot times or?

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

There won't be an update until March. And that update won't be until April. And that update will be done in July.

LOL

18. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

they will be updated before wwdc 2011, supplies of sandy bridge were ramped up to meet the welcomed demand after last years long wait between intel chips and april refresh. I'd say before april