New PS3 incoming. Price drop updated

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Aug 16, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Gamestop leaked out today an early announcment from gamescom a 160 gig PS3 SKU Which goes to ask how this will affect the price point ?

Perhaps a $199 120 then 249 160 and $300 320gig ? it will be intresting to see what comes out tomorrowhttp://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/16/160gb-ps3-bundles-appear-on-gamestop/

Update from Playstationlifestyle http://playstationlifestyle.net/201...-hardware-news-incoming-320gb-price-drop-too/

a 320Gig is also set to be announced as well along with the price drops hinted

should hopefully be a big day for sony tommorow also NeoGaff is reporting a Specail edition Mass Effect 2 for PS3 with the full game and all the recent DLC and expect Mass effect 3 to be on the ps3 same day as well

2. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

This isn't really that shocking. The 160/320 versions were announced in Japan a while ago (July 6th, to be exact), so it was only a matter of time before they came over here.
    Just so you know, NeoGAF isn't a media outlet, it is a gaming forum. And just like this site with its Apple rumors, speculation and rumors of gaming related things flow like water at GAF. The thread about this Mass Effect release is far from conclusive, so I would shy away from calling this thing a lock.

3. lwien macrumors regular

Other than the HD's, I wonder if there are going to be any other differences in the new models.

4. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I dunno. Sony seems to pretty consistently bump up the storage, probably because the 'cheapest' HD's aren't always the smallest capacity-wise.

5. lwien macrumors regular

6. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

...And just as I say that, Bioware announce that it IS in fact coming to PS3 early next year. No word, at least officially that I could find, on whether this version is coming with all the DLC or not. I'm going to guess, since it is a year late, it will have all the DLC and then be full $60 retail. Also, no word on ME1 either. But either way, anyone with only a PS3 can now play one of Bioware's best games... probably. The game is built on UE3, which hasn't been known to run that well on PS3. But hey, something is better than nothing.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/17/mass-effect-2-out-on-ps3-january-2011/

7. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Is that so? I have played Unreal Tournament 3 and Bioshock on PS3, and they both looked/ran fantastic, in my opinion...? :confused: What games are you thinking of that performed poorly with the Unreal Engine? (honestly curious)

Does Mass Effect 2 make much sense to play if you haven't played the first one? Don't know much about these games, only they're supposed to be quite story-driven (and also very good).

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

LOL:D Unreal engine runs great on PS3...ME series is brilliant and good on EA/Bioware for expanding the audience. I suspect ME1 will follow suit soon enough.

MS got to up those 1st party studios....3rd party exclusive what?

Bless

9. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm rebuying Mass effect 2 Bio ware is freaking amazing they deserve any money i give them besides i would love to have the Suicide mission trophy in my collection for the ps3

10. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

you can play it they do a good job of covering the key parts of what happens but if you have a pc or you can meet the requirements to play it on bootcamp buy the pc version of the first one if you really want to play it

11. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

12. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

So new PS3's coming 160/320 as repoted

Mass Effect 2 and almost postive that 3 will be out for PS3

New Ratchet and clank 4 player Co-Op online/offline play

RESITANCE 3!!!!!

Mag also gets Move Support as well.

Mortal Kombat 9 3D!

good showing for PS3 today :D

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bit of a yawnfest for me.

They continue to add more storage to the PS3, but never a price cut. And no PSP news, did they even show any new games for it? Have they abandoned it?

Tish and fipsy I say.

14. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

I think If they announce the PSP 2 it will be at TGS makes more sense imo

15. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I agree. It is not much work to upgrade the PS3 HD of your choice. I have had a 160gb HD since I bought mine a year ago or so. I just tossed in my old MBP HD since I upgraded that to a 640GB HD. Now, if they added backwards compatibility again, I would go and purchase one right now. I don't mind having my modded crystal chip pro PS2, but its more wiring which I would love to get rid of.

16. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I guess I should have been more specific. Unreal Engined games built from the outset to run multiplatform perform fine. Bioshock 2, for example. It was built from the start for both platforms, and thus performs fine. But, Bioshock 1? Not so much. At least, I didn't think so. That game was originally designed for the 360, and was then ported over to PS3 later. I have the 360 version, and have played the PS3 version at a friends. To me, it was noticeably not as smooth, and the lighting felt a little off. Again, this didn't run like crap or anything, but it just didn't run as well as the 360 version, where the game was originally built for.

I have a feeling the same problem might plague ME2. Same situation; a Unreal Engine game built for 360 being ported over to PS3 later. Now, who knows. Maybe Bioware was preparing for this all along, and it will run fine. It has also been a few years since the first Bioshock, so I'm sure there has been advancements, both in the engine, and in the porting techniques. It is a great looking game, so I hope it runs fine, and people who buy it on PS3 get just as good of an experience as everyone.

17. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

That sounds surprising to me. I have never played the 360 version of Bioshock, but from what I have read, they even improved the graphics/effects a little for the PS3 version that came out later?

18. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

I played the ps3 version off my bro and then dl the demo the other day just to see how it was its not to much of a improvement but I do think overall Images look crispier on the ps3 than the 360 on bio shock.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Psychosomatic.
    PS3 - 1200*675
    Xbox - 1280*720

20. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Doesn't mean they can't have improved/optimized the graphics.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Looks crisp=higher resolution. They're both using same resolution textures after all.

22. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

From IGN's review:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/920/920389p2.html

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

well I be damned, on release of the PS3 version I'm sure I read an interview regarding textures. That the Xbox and PS3 version use the same lower quality textures compared to the PC version. Could be Bioshock 2.

24. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

This is the very next sentence in the review:

Maybe this is what you were thinking of?

25. ecompuplus macrumors newbie

up to date video cards so everyone could enjoy the latest games in the marke. Upgrade to your own hard drive is way cheaper but you need to open the box.