New PS3 model

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Someone please explain this one to me... :confused:

- It's not cheaper!
    - It's not prettier!
    - It doesn't offer any new features!

What's the selling point on this one again? Basically you pay the same price for a system that looks cheaper? :rolleyes:

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

It seems the new model is only being sold as a bundle with a game at a slightly higher price than the prior slim model. I like how small it is now!

If only the 360 could shrink to that size...

3. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Its job is to be the "Ten year model" similar to what they did with the PSOne and PS2. They're working on Orbis, and we'll probably start hearing announcements around E3.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Slot loading drives= the greatest thing. For that reason alone my next PS3 (should this one break) will be another Slim.

5. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Agree with this 1000%

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have 3 ps3's, I'm the kind of lunatic who would buy one of these. But at the €299 price tag, and with the Wii U only a matter of weeks away it just doesn't make sense.

7. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I don't understand it from a marketing standpoint...

"Here's a brand new PS3 model - it's not cheaper than the other one, but it sure is uglier!" :p

8. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Please correct me if wrong, but I read that the new Ultra-Slim is a Top-loader.

I really consider buying it as I have no console at all and it would be nice to play some Gran Turismo or soccer some times + plus the BluRay as a bonus..anyone here thinks the next gen console won't be bulky again - not as slim as it is right now but still? I hate those massive monsters.

9. billyja macrumors newbie

I just want to it is really worthful. Because i am thinking to buying it?

10. billyja macrumors newbie

I even hear about its PSN which is useless? It is true.

11. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I like the form factor, but the sliding optical door is a big step backwards, along with the corrugated top. I think the touch buttons are too cool, same as on the Xbox 360 Slim and should not have been dropped on the PS3 slim either. And I am still quite pissed about losing Linux and PS2 backwards compatibility. Sony, I think you have failed once again.

12. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I have the current slim and it doesn't even have the power output on the USB slots to power my external HDD and charge a controller, it has 2 USB slots but really you can only have one thing plugged in at once. Maybe this new model fixes that.

Like someone else said this is the PS3 that you will still be able to buy in 5 or 6 years time, much like the slim PS2 that came out at the end of it's life cycle, it will end up cheap enough and is small enough that you can keep it around to play your old games or will be the playstation a parent would buy there kids rather than the most expensive new model whenever that comes out.

----------

Those functions were lost close to 3 or 4 years ago now if not more, why would you still be annoyed about this?

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They're at least trying in regards to PS2 compatibility (in a way) with some PS2 games available for download. It's still a tiny figure though. It's money for old rope, and since I didn't own a PS2 I'm willing to buy them.

Was Linux ever a real feature? It was awful when I tried it. Just didn't fit with how fluid and well-made the rest of the system was.

14. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

I just enjoyed tinkering with the Linux (dis)functionality. (and to hope for homebrew coming from it) And yes, I can still be annoyed that I lost backwards compatibility, because it was a huge feature that never should have been pulled. I still keep my PS2 slim with a Crystal Chip 2.0 around. IMO the biggest to me is not having to use another controller, switch to another input, have 1 more thing plugged in etc...

I hate downloading PS2 games from the ridiculously small offerings because the PS2 had THE BEST selection of great games, and most are not offered to download.

I do hope the next gen consoles drop optical drives all together. This slim looks terrible with the door open.

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It's likely cheaper to make. Probably a 32nm Cell and/or 32nm/28nm RSX in there.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's a problem with this machine, not all consoles in general. The older PS3's and Wii, WiiU all have slot-loading drives.

That won't happen any time soon, and definitely not with Sony (bluray films, still one of the most popular players). The Vita and PSP E-1000 back-peddled on the big digital-only idea. We're just not there yet.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I disagree, it has a bigger HDD and a good game. It's not cheaper, but is not more expensive. It's just smaller.
    It lowers cost to Sony not the consumer. They waited until the WiiU price was announced so they could price accordingly, now they can start selling it a the new MRSP and come black friday I will assume they will be $200 BF bundles of it, similar to last year.

18. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Oops, forgot about Blu-Ray+Sony.... I do like the slot loading drives though. I haven't rented (for myself) in years.....

19. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

It must be cheaper for Sony to produce, the only explanation for its release. Just like the PSP they released in Europe last year (or was it this year, you know, the one without wifi).
    Any way, I think it looks horrible. Possibly the worst looking PS product released, ever. To echo others here, I do not like the top loading disc drive, would have been better if they had an ejecting tray (like with orig. PS2). As I said, I honestly think this is PS3's last stand, and it is purely to pick up profit per unit.

The original fat boy (60GB with chrome) remains the best looking console this generation.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I prefer the Slim over the original, and the white Wii over all of them. Mighty fine looking, small, slot-loading machine that.

21. applefan289 macrumors 68000

IMO the nicest looking current console is the 360 S.

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Yes. That should be MS's starting point for the next console. The original 360 was curvy (not masculine). The first PS3 was a grill, and the wii was just "cute".

23. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I am a sucker for a glossy finish. I am like a magpie, shiny things get me going.
    The Wii has always looked bad to me, I was born in 89, so nintendo, to me, is the n64 and the game cube, both crazy fun looking designs. Then the wii comes out and it is a white box. I suppose in a way it harks back to the snes but it aint for me.

I remember I had my N64 in see through green. I dug it out and played it with my ex a few years ago and then we broke up. It is still in her house and we are no longer on speaking terms.
    Genuinely upsets me when I think about it.

24. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I don't think the Wii design is cute and I've to admit to really like the design of its successor - a perfect neutral design. Haven't seen it in reality though.
    I had a boxy and legendary NES and the N64 - never again such a fancy design. Dreamcast (!) was perfect to me, also regarding the form-factor.