Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eecyclone

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
I think these websites are very helpful. Much more helpful than checking for stock via the online apple store. Even if it gets taken down, I want to thank those responsible for creating these availability tracker sites for Apple products.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
It seems that everywhere the 64GB cellular version is available. The 32 seems to be unavailable. I almost cancelled my order since the 64 is at my apple store, but I really think $600+ is enough to spend and I don't need the extra storage. I already have a 64GB iPhone.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I actually wrote my own Groovy script that I have running locally every 20 minutes that will give me the printout of the local stores of only the models I am interested in.

It is nice to be a developer...

Apple will now shut you down for infringing on their terms. :D:eek:

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I ordered on the 12th around 8:40am Eastern time, I've requested it to be personalized and I have a delivery date of Nov 26- Dec 4.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Wow. What a way to spin this. You should be hired by Fox News immediately!
:)

This is an opinion that many non-fanboys hold, and it's not by accident. There was NO logical reason to shut down a site that helps their customers. And don't give me 'well maybe they're working on their own solution', don't shut it down until their own solution is ready.

Bibgibs

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
The question is: Where are they getting that XML document from Apple? I'd like to be able to check it myself without needing to go to SeaTurtle.org.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
meh... didn't think I needed to. A BestBuy I'm close to sent and email saying they'd have an extra 250 outside of the pre orders.

Ok...cool. I don't want to derail this thread. Enjoy your system tonight. I'm getting mine too. Pre-ordered at game stop. If you get a chance..hop on ign. There's a article about their review units and a customers both broke. As well as game informers review system. Has me a little concerned.

notmenwohere

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2013
epiphany,

only 64 gb and 128 gb cellular ni stock everywhere in Los Angeles area.

Very interesting marketing tatic!! hahaha

i want 32 gb!!!!! damnit

mwinget

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
A site which empowers the people allowing them to make a more well-informed decision on where to go knowing what is available? A site which informs potential customers of their choices of iPad and saves them from futilely travelling from store to store in search of products which are no longer there? A site which treats users as human instead of cattle?

Apple won't like that.

Neither did the Republicans

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This is an opinion that many non-fanboys hold, and it's not by accident. There was NO logical reason to shut down a site that helps their customers. And don't give me 'well maybe they're working on their own solution', don't shut it down until their own solution is ready.

Web scraping Apple's private information and putting it in a different format is ILLEGAL. It's as simple as that.

Apple OWNS the information about how many iPads are available in each store. It chooses to give out this information when a person uses their website, but does not allow someone to COPY this information and put it on a different website.

Scrape Fox News's website for their latest news stories and put it on your own private web site, and see how far this gets you.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Nice to see someone helping the scalpers to organise their operations more efficiently... :rolleyes:
Another word for scalpers is entrepeneurs. Once Apple itself removes its restriction on sales per person, that seems fair to me. Want one now? Order it from Apple. The reason why apple online is the most reliable way to get a device is they capture the retail margin with minimal overhead. Expect the apple website to almost always have better availability than other channels.

Rocketman

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Web scraping Apple's private information and putting it in a different format is ILLEGAL. It's as simple as that.

Apple OWNS the information about how many iPads are available in each store. It chooses to give out this information when a person uses their website, but does not allow someone to COPY this information and put it on a different website.

Scrape Fox News's website for their latest news stories and put it on your own private web site, and see how far this gets you.

Can you explain which law this is illegal under?

mcoyne

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
Durham, NC
The question is: Where are they getting that XML document from Apple? I'd like to be able to check it myself without needing to go to SeaTurtle.org.

Happy to share. You can get the results of an availability search using a url like this:

http://store.apple.com/us/retail/availabilitySearch?parts.0=ME276LL/A&zip=99501

You will get back a file called "availabilitySearch" with data on the 20 Apple Stores closest to the zip code you send. Not particularly easy to read, but you can grep the file to get what you want.

Just change the zip to whatever you like. The trick is knowing the part # for the idevice that you want. ME276LL/A is the new iPad mini 16GB gray with wi-fi.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
By the way... Anyone in the NY area they're in stock at multiple locations. Silver,AT&T cellular+wifi. Right now! Different capacities at different locations

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Various arguments and reasoning about why Apple may not want this.

One I can think of is they do not want people "scraping" their database constantly which then causes load issues. And, the information is proprietary to a point. If you, PERSONALLY want to go check each store, then fine. But automated? They really do not want that.

Sure, it is a cool tool. But, the data really belongs to Apple.

mcoyne

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
Durham, NC
Publicity stunt. Just trying to get their name into the public consciousness.
This isn't about helping people find stock.

Like many others have probably done, this started out as a project to help me get the iPhone 5S that I wanted. And it worked. Turning it in to a web app and adding iPad Airs and then Minis was pretty simple.

If people find it helpful they will use it, if they don't then they won't. It's as simple as that.

My day job is running a small sea turtle NGO, and certainly I hoped that this might bring more attention to our site and to sea turtles. Almost everything action I take has this goal. I am a sea turtle evangelist. The reality is that only a fraction of a percent of the people visiting the iDevice pages will stick around to visit our turtle pages, but every little bit helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.