Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You act as if thinner is the only advantage here, and then you're running with that as if it's the only reasoning for the change. How about a universal power adapter port that all PC's, tablets, phones, and Macs can share? When USB C proliferates, charging virtually everything will only require one type of connection, on both ends no less.

That's a very good point, I didn't think of it that way.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Having MagSafe in the first place is a good idea. Taking that functionality away provides literally no benefits. There's less need for MagSafe on iOS devices and I'm sure you can appreciate the difference.

They have taken away a very useful feature on the portable Macs (function), in order to get it thinner (form). This is a prime example of form over function. I can't see why some are so happy or nonchalant to see MagSafe go.

Not sure while people are so dead set on having MagSafe. Only one time has my cord been pulled from my laptop. If peoples cords are constantly being ripped out are not taking proper care of them.

MagSafe on a universal USB-C would not make it much of a standard anymore.

themikedshaffer

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2013
Actually, I thought it was because you don't want to be transferring data and have the cable detach.

You're absolutely correct! That's another check on the "con" side of the ledger for MagSafe. If you've bought into the single port theory of design, it should be very stable and unlikely to accidentally detach. Like I said, assuming that you buy into the single port theory, and clearly Apple did.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
More than any other part of a computer, I think keyboards are a very personal choice. Apple put a lot of engineering and design work into this new, thin keyboard - that's good. It may not work for everyone - that's bad. The only way to find out is to try it for a couple of days or weeks. That's what the return period is for...

I think most people will be able to adapt over time. I mean, look at how much keyboards have changed in the past 20 years. Plus, you still get some tactile feedback, which is a plus over the iPad (for me at least).

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
People still sync their iOS devices via laptop?

does iphoto/photos support syncing of photos over wifi?

Me personally, no, never. I've also never accidentally flung my phone or tablet across the room because they don't have magsafe.

I'd rather have a connector that's suitable for purpose day to day.

just checking.

never owned a laptop with magsafe but was still always impressed by the idea especially after having seen the damage a ripped cable can cause.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I only wish it had 2 USB ports. Hopefully third party adaptors will make it more practical.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Are people really going to be doing that heavy of work on this rMB that it will need to be plugged in all the time?

Well much heavier work that on an iPad. :D
I'll bet this Macbook will run Adobe CS easily without hiccups and various other video editing software. iMovie comes to mind. It's quite a hog (although it runs well) and I'll bet this Macbook can run it very well. I don't expect anyone to buy this for AutoCAD.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
The new 10" Surface is capable of this and starts at $499

Has a much lower resolution, smaller screen. Atom CPU instead of Core M. 2 GB of RAM vs. 8 GB. The base model has 1/4 the storage of the base model new MacBook. What it comes down to is that the new Surface is a tablet and the MacBook is a laptop. If you're already in Apple's ecosystem and already have an iPad, it's a no brainer.

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
ThIs macbook just doesn't do it for me, if it has two ports and Lte, I would be all over this thing but it doesn't. I will just stick with the iPad Air 2....:rolleyes:

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Can you give me the egg from a chicken that hasn't hatched yet? Eventually, all monitors will be USB C, PC or not.

So i'm going to have to spend thousands on new equipment. How about those suckers who bought thunderbolt displays, they spent 1000$ and can't use it with the new Macbook.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Precisely right. I think the only real proof is using it for a week or two (12-13 days, as you say, within the return period).

jup!

Thats what I like about the return policy ,within 2 weeks here in the Netherlands... no questions asked. Either trade it in for another Mac or your money back... at least here at my local Apple store

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Leaving whom, exactly, to buy this?

By the time kids are in high school, they've shot more photos and video and have more music and movies than these puny drives can hold. In your mind, this warrants everyone buying MBPs? A notebook with no method for expansion whatsoever is a toy. An iPad has an excuse for being so limited. It intends to connect to a fully functional computer somewhere, which stores the master copies of media. This is supposed to be that fully functional computer, but it is not.

It is an iPad with a keyboard running OSX.

This has the same storage and storage upgrade options as the MBA line and only lacks the 1TB option that very few people buy in the rMBP line. In fact, Apple deserves some credit for not offering the gimped 128gb drive as the base option.

Expansion isn't different, either, except that wired expansion will need a dongle if you want to charge and use the drive at the same time. That may not work for some people, but it's going to cause a lot more griping than it actually needs to cause.

What you maybe should be nervous about is that Apple seems to have a vision of a totally wireless world and this is a big push in that direction. I'm not sure I'm ready to go there, but I understand the rationale. I was the last person in my family to give up on an ethernet cable. I made the leap and...nothing bad happened. ;)

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
It seems like this is more of a proof of concept, similar to the first Macbook Air. Over time they will refine it and make improvements (480p FaceTime camera) as needed. Still incredible they can make the current Macbook Airs feel heavy and look outdated and thick

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
cool, I did not know you could wirelessly charge an iPad from the new macbook. Apple really did think of everything.

It's funny because he clearly said SYNC not charge and I said SYNC not charge. You need to work on reading comprehension.

Obviously, a Lightning to USB C cable will exist one day...if not a USB C iPad/iPhone.

lovemymac123

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
USB-C is multi-function in a single port

I agree. I think there should be at least 4 ports. 2 on each side. Things Apple should have considered would be:

1. External monitors.

2. External Storage.

3. Syncing/Charging devices.

4. Power.

Having to constantly choose will be problematic. Maybe version 2 will add an additional port at least.

While I would have preferred to see a USB-C on either side of the MacBook, I think many of those complaining about the single port forget that the USB-C port can do multiple of these things at once... however with the need for an adapter or other compatible device. For example the Apple HDMI multi port adapter gives you an HDMI, USB 3 and another USB-C (possibly only for power) that you can connect other things to. So for example you could have:

1. External monitor plugged into HDMI
  2. External storage or USB 3 hub connected to USB 3 port
  3. Syncing/Charging cable or USB 3 hub connected to USB 3 port
  4. Power connected to USB-C port

What would concern me more is whether you would be able to connect multiple external displays. On my Current rMBP I have the following cables plugged in at my desk:
  • LCD Display connected via thunderbolt to DVI adapter
  • LCD Display connected via thunderbolt to HDMI adapter
  • USB 3 HUB with gigabit ethernet, keyboard, mouse, external drive, external cooling fans (built into laptop stand)
  • Headphones connected to headphone jack
  • MagSafe connector

So every time I sit down at my desk, I have to plug in 5 cables... and that is with using a USB hub. I have looked into thunderbolt docking stations, but have not found one I like that supports two external displays. Even with the docking station I would need to connect at least two cables (MagSafe and Thunderbolt) and possibly 3 if the docking station does not support headphones. So, with the new MacBook I should be able to do the same with one cable for a docking station (I am sure a number of companies will build USB-C docking stations in time).

To be totally fair, I would have preferred it if the MacBook had a single thunderbolt and USB-C on each side, with one side also having the headphone jack, or at the minimum having USB-C on both sides. However, I would definitely not see lacking the extra ports as making the MacBook unusable.

I look forward to future rMBPs having more ports.

themikedshaffer

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2013
Is that really Apple's POV? I can't say I agree that they ditched magsafe based on iPad history. You don't sit your iPad on the table using it plugged in unless the battery is just on it's way to dying. With a Macbook you do heavy work with it that can run down the battery and it makes sense to do your heavy tasks while having it plugged in all the time.

There are certainly people who use their Macbook to do heavy tasks and will benefit from always being tethered to AC power. But there are a ton of people who will be able to do the bulk of their work on battery only, assuming the battery life on this thing is as advertised. Again, I just think it's a product for some people and not for others. It certainly seems likely that Apple is going to try to drive costs down on this (and hopefully other similar configs) and this will become their replacement for the MBA. Maybe. Who knows?

But I'm already thinking about a 14" Macbook....super thin, super light. We'll see what happens in this space over the next 12 months.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
does iphoto/photos support syncing of photos over wifi?
Indirectly, that's been doable for several years now (Photo Stream).

But that's not direct syncing between an iOS device and iPhoto/Aperture, it requires an Internet connection and iCloud.

Personally, I like it. Anytime my phone hops on a Wi-Fi network, it will upload any new pictures I've taken. Sort of like automatically backing them up as it goes. I open iPhoto/Aperture once or twice a month, and all of the new photos automatically download into it.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
So i'm going to have to spend thousands on new equipment. How about those suckers who bought thunderbolt displays, they spent 1000$ and can't use it with the new Macbook.

Then they probably shouldn't buy the new MacBook...or they can just use the adapter that includes all of the other ports as well? How about you stop dragging your feet and accept that this is how technology has advanced over and over again for 30 years. Are you still using 8 track cassettes? What about all that money you spent having an 8 track installed in your van down by the river?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Nonetheless I think we can all agree on one thing - ditching MagSafe for one 'does all' port, just to get it as thin as possible, is a dreadful idea - and a classic example of Apple's form over function.

There are some really great things about this computer. But to me it feels more like an engineering exercise, in that 'hey, we can do this', rather than the 'this is the future of notebooks' feeling that I got when the MacBook Air was first revealed.

MagSafe won't work with a laptop that light. The magnet would have to be really weak, and you'd have problems with it popping out with the slightest movement. I think going down the USB-C route for charging is great because it's universal.

The future of notebooks is fanless design, and because its fanless, you can make it extremely thin. It will be a pain not having a full sized USB port, but there'll be USB-C to full size adapters that'll be small enough to fit on a keyring, so it won't be a big issue.

I'm really keen to try the new keyboard out. The bufferfly design is great - my keys wobble though I've never not had a keypress register. Each key having its own LED will be nice too, no light bleeding out the side of the keys. I've already tried the tactic trackpad on the 13" Retina and it really is fine to use, quite impressed with the click feedback. The force touch stuff I found awkward.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Well much heavier work that on an iPad. :D
I'll bet this Macbook will run Adobe CS easily without hiccups and various other video editing software. iMovie comes to mind. It's quite a hog (although it runs well) and I'll bet this Macbook can run it very well. I don't expect anyone to buy this for AutoCAD.

I think people will be surprised by what they thought they needed but actually don't.

----------

Are the MBA and rMBP not available to them?

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
It's funny because he clearly said SYNC not charge and I said SYNC not charge. You need to work on reading comprehension.

Obviously, a Lightning to USB C cable will exist one day...if not a USB C iPad/iPhone.

Clearly you have zero comprehension as some people use a sync cable to charge there device. No need to wait for a USB C lightning cable, Apple already has the 80$ adapter for it. No point in Charging a dead iPad from a Mac that is not connected to a wall outlet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.