new retina macbook pro with win7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vance09, Aug 25, 2013.

1. vance09 macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me if you run bootcamp with win 7 how is the rated speed ,is it fast?
    I found on the Mac pro desktop windows 7 did not run any faster than on a PC ,read someplace win 7 runs better on the mac

2. simsaladimbamba

Better does not equate in being faster.
    Windows 7 will run as fast on a MacBook Pro with Retina Display as on a similar specced machine.

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I wouldn't know who would've written such an asinine comment.

You're at the mercy of Apple for all the bootcamp drivers that actually make Windows work on their machines and it's never been their priority to update them with any sense of urgency.

4. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

No, actually Macbooks are, ironically, the best Windows running laptops, given the similar price range. I'm sure PC World and CNET said that in 1 review.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Wrong. Apple gives you entry level drivers, after which you can go to each vendor's website and download better drivers (like nVidia drivers for instance).

Apple's stuff like the keyboard and trackpad are the only drivers worth having.

6. tmagman macrumors 6502

Spec for spec I have found my mac runs windows better and faster. The thing you have going for is that they are barebones drivers, and there is no bloatware or anything else running on the machine. It is nearly the purest form of Windows that exists when running it on a mac.

7. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

bootcamp and win 7

Ok , i can understand the lack of drivers apple vs win7 ,but what about the vmware and parallels would that be a better way to go and which is better to run some PC applications that are not available on the mac.
    I am presently running vmware and i find it ok ,parallels just did not seem to run smooth
    Any comments

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

VMWare has several years under their belt in virtualization technologies. They have several virtualization tools for servers and professionals. However, VMWare is their first through at the consumer market.

Hence, when it came out, it was very solid. Most people praised its foundations and support for the guest OS. The problem was Fusion (VMWare's virtualization software) had a poor graphics card utilization.

Parallels is great at harnessing your GPU, but it is more unstable. [As of late Parallels seems to have stabilized itself with newer versions, but people still think Fusion is better in terms of stability] Take your pick.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you are interested in getting the best performance possible then use Bootcamp rather than virtual machine software.

When running Windows in bootcamp you get the same performance as if you were running it on a PC notebook with the same specs.

10. scbond macrumors 6502

I would reword the whole "Windows runs better on a Mac" statement personally. I would say it is more stable on a Mac when compared spec for spec to a PC simply because of the origins of a Macs components. With a PC, you can get a big variety of different hardware options and put them together...but that won't mean it just works fine.

11. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Agreed. "Windows runs better on a Mac" is true strictly from a build quality/component selection standpoint. Apple limits their builds to certain proven components and puts them in every machine, across the board. That limits the chance for subpar parts to be introduced into the equation.

However, a quality custom desktop build with well-chosen components based on proven reviews and user-approval (i.e. a PC built by someone who knows what he's doing) will completely outstrip any Mac in existence when it comes to running Windows.

12. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

I don't know what boost you are looking for, but just for the simply fact that you would be running on a very fast SSD drive is going to improve windows 7 performance.

At the same time I put a SSD in my wife's laptop that supported Sata 3 speeds and she gain a much faster experience.

13. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

I find Windows 7 runs fine at 2880x1800 with DPI set at 150% with default Apple drivers, I can handle TDU2 at 1920x1200 at full settings, and NFS Hot Pursuit at 2880x1800 maxx'ed out.

You might want to checkout VMs if you're interested, here's some vids, maybe they help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crc7IUDMth4

14. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I have a Win7 laptop that's about near it end. I'd like to run Win7 on my iMac but where can I get a copy of the Win7 OS?

15. simsaladimbamba

Amazon or eBay perhaps?

16. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

You can still buy the oem version.

I also think that parallels offers a way to clone your hard drive as a VM but not sure 100 percent.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I find windows 7 (I don't use win8) to be very stable in my workplace. I'd say at this point unless you're using some arcane hardware that win7 is as stable on a Mac then any other mainstream. In fact I'd say more stable because the drivers are more update to date and the hardware is for windows not OSX like the Mac is. We've seen how you cannot switch GPUs in windows and the machines run hotter. I think if you're going to run windows, the better hardware is a PC.

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You are wrong my friend. Only months later after the release of Windows 8 were bootcamp drivers made available. And the trackpad driver made by Apple just plain sucks... it's not optimized for any gestures. And I'd like to see you update your firmware without OSX.

There is absolutely no way Apple is going to intentionally give anyone a better experience outside their OSX ecosystem by making Windows run better on their macs than OSX.

19. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

win7 in a macbook pro

Thanks everybody for all the various good opinions from your experience.
    In conclusion i see that vmware is the way to go for virtual and bootcamp to fully run win7.
    This is what i am running on the mac pro desktop and its fine and stable .Win 7 runs ok a bit faster than a PC but its good and i do use it when i need a PC application

thanks again