New Retinas not worth it for a 2012 retina owner?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marddin, Oct 22, 2013.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

So I have a Mid 2012 Retina, 16GB ram, 2.3GHz, 256SSD. I've loved it since day one but I always like to have the latest apple tech. TBH, I dont really see the reason behind purchasing a new one. Only diff I see is the extra gb of VRam, and faster SSD. Am I Wrong?

Can someone please persuade me to purchase a new retina, please?
    I need justification from others to make it acceptable in my brain.

-Martin

2. MGTR420 macrumors regular

Yeahh im beginning to wonder if I should cancel my order now. I have a late 2012 model which is in perfect condition...

3. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I was considering it originally, but only because I have a 128GB SSD in my current 13" rMBP.

UI Lag is not an issue any more especially with Mavericks... it's been optimized a lot (despite The Verge's continued insistence that Ivy Bridge rMBPs are laggy).

I still have 82GB free so I think I'm just going to use it for another year until Broadwell models come out.

I was really hoping to upgrade my Mac Mini though. I could just get a Mac Pro but that's a wee bit overkill....

4. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

Buy the new one and sell the old one to off set the cost :D

5. MGTR420 macrumors regular

I got an offer for 1000 dollars. Debating on taking it and paying 400 to upgrade. Not sure its worth it.

6. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

I just really don't see a reason to upgrade. My laptop could last me another 4 years with my configuration or atleast until another refresh comes through.

If I had 128GB SSD I would definitely upgrade. I have 256GB which is perfect I keep all large data on external USB3 1TB drive so it's great.

That was my original plan but right before clicking place order I re-read the specs and I thought to myself, "Why?"

7. MGTR420 macrumors regular

I'm more than likely cancelling my order. I just can't justify spending closer to 500 dollars actually.

8. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

Agreed. Unless you really need thunderbolt 2 for some reason there is really no need to upgrade. Personally, $500 isn't worth an hour extra of battery life and slightly better graphics.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

TBH. For a while now, it's rarely worth it to upgrade if your hardware is one-year old. Usually you skip a generation for it to be worth it unless you're specifically looking for that new feature they're advertising.

10. MGTR420 macrumors regular

I do own a 4K Sony tv though, but not sure if outputting 3840x2160 is really that important to me right now. don't like connecting my laptop to my tv.

11. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

These are very much minor spec bumped machines. Sure, there are some solid upgrades, but not many that would greatly impact the core experience.

The 13 inch model is a better upgrade for prior rMBP 13 users, but the 15, while an upgrade for current rMBP 15 users, is less dramatic. Maybe in the range of 10-20%.

12. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

If you wait a year, maybe they will have one extra hour on the battery life with better discrete graphics. Then you'll have 2 hours plus better card.

Is that worth it? Even if it gets an IGZO display?
    Either way, if you've already got a rMBP, I wouldn't think there would be any need to upgrade, maybe the year after next.

The only reason why you may want to justify upgrading if you really needed a good reason, would be the improved Iris Pro graphics, which give you MUCH better graphics on the order of at least 30% with just the integrated card. That alone will save you probably more than an hour of battery life that could potentially get you to keep that discrete off longer.

13. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Personally no, your current Macbook is more than capable for the next 4-5 years. Don't get caught in "the latest tech game" because there is always something around the corner. As long as "your software" is supported by the hardware you have no reason to.

CPU wise looking at maybe a 10% increase in speed. The obvious factor is power consumption in which you get an at best 1-2 more hours (not as big as the Air with a staggering 12 hours).

GPU wise it's the same as the CPU all the 750m is, is just a rebranding of last years 650m (no joke look at the specs the 750m is just a re-clocked 650m). The extra 1GB of VRAM won't make that huge of a difference since games will still struggle to be playable at higher resolution.

Flash storage wise yeah they added a 1TB one but for 500 dollars more (so your paying a buck for each GB). Yes the added speed is nice but so far that speed hasn't been noticeable (I have a 2013 Air with the updated flash).

TB2 yeah it's great but do you even have any TB devices? Then again is there even an affordable TB device in the market?

In the end your looking at minor upgrades, if you really must get an upgrade I would wait for update to the display (IGZO).

14. DiscardedPacket macrumors member

Seriously... there is no reason.

I am laughing at everyone who "waited for Haswell". I bought the Early 2013 update and the system has run without any issues, no UI lag at all (I am on Mavericks).

I'm looking at another 3-4 years with this laptop at least before I look at upgrade.

To those of you that waited - I hope it was worth it :)

15. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

If I had a 2012 rMBP 13" with 8GB I wouldn't buy the newer one. Just get a 500GB ssd if it's plenty of files, upgrade it yourself and be happy.

16. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

There is no way on earth I would go through the hassle of upgrading laptops if I had a 2012. For me the move will be very much worth it, coming from a 2009 2.53 core duo and the lame video card...;-)

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Should I give up my 6 months old Mid 2012 rMBP? Is nVidia 650m better than Intel Iris Pro? Better battery life? :apple:

18. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Much faster gpu.
    80211ac wireless
    Much faster hard drive.
    Lighter and thinner for the 13".
    More options like 16 GB of ram.
    Easily worth it to upgrade my 13" retina.

19. iphoneZ macrumors regular

20. Smeaton1724, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

This!

I got a great deal on my rMBP 13, £725, (Apple selling at £1200 at the time, even refur'b was £1059), 8GB, 128GB. The plan was to have a "free upgrade" to the new Haswell base model. As I had hoped that the base Pro's would start with a 256GB SSD and took the 8GB Ram as a given.

However it is still 128GB for the base retina 13 and 4GB ram. I might as well go the OWC route, throw in a 480GB SSD, get 2/3 years as my primary machine then relegate it to a file server, like I did and still do with my iBook 1Ghz!

Extremely impressed with Mavericks and very happy overall. A solid OS that sticks by its principles and refines key areas - it's a testament to the OS that new hardware is not necessary, and that's not a dig at a poor hardware upgrade, it's kudos to the software guys!

21. hachiman, Oct 23, 2013

hachiman macrumors regular

It's not worth it as an upgrade, especially for those who have the early 2013 models. Haswell is just a battery saving feature, there is no CPU boost. The main difference here is the SSD speed.

Like my iPad, I'm still using the iPad 3 (when it came out), I didn't upgrade it to the iPad 4, it may have better specs, but I could browse and watch movies just fine. For computers, if you actually needed all the extra power you could, you would have already bought one or bought a desktop with real computing/graphic power.

Now, with that said, I recently sold my mid 2009 Macbook Pro non-retina and I'm getting in on this update as my first Retina notebook. I plan to replace my iPad 3 with the iPad mini with Retina, which has the same pixel density as the iPhone, 326 ppi. I skipped the first iPad mini because I have no plans on going back to the old-school display. It's a practical upgrade, I get the same resolution, better pixel density, smaller size for me to carry around daily, and they both have essentially the same specs (Air and mini 2 with Retina), both have the A7 chip, same camera specs, etc.

I was really happy about the recent MBA update and almost bought it, every upgrade was welcomed, except it still use the old display. So I continued to wait for a rMBP update, since at that time (May 2013), it was mid-cycle. I know of the rumors that the MBA may get retina. Whether that's true or not, the rMBP is already thin and powerful enough that I don't need to wait any longer.

If there is no computing power improvements that you need, then it's not worth it. From a "showing off" stand-point, there is no physical difference between the updated models and the previous, except slightly thinner (.71 vs .75) but no one is going to notice it except you, if you notice it at all.

Looking at it from another perspective, if you add a $50,000 swimming pool in the back yard but it only adds $20,000 in value to the house, you've basically bought a $30,000 babysitter. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

22. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Apple's marketing machine

People wanting to upgrade perfectly capable laptops after a year because a new one came out, fight that urge you worked (I assume hard) for your money :)

23. hachiman, Oct 23, 2013

hachiman macrumors regular

Some have more money than sense, like athletes or famous stars, they go broke as quickly as they get rich. They don't preserve their money or turn what they have into cashflow investments.

There's nothing wrong with that, you're investing into the economy on conspicuous consumptions. There's nothing wrong with luxury, just know when it's enough.

From the specs of your machine, you've got plenty of RAM and sufficient SSD space. What are you going to do with the extra SSD speed if you upgrade it? Run SSD benchmarks all day? Most of the time, you won't notice that speed at all unless you're copying or transferring data.

24. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

If you sell the old one and pay the difference, aside from whatever improvements the new model has, you also refresh your warranty.

25. theineffablebob macrumors regular

But if you're talking about the 15", the differences are much more minor. The GPU is even a downgrade (in performance, not energy efficiency) unless you opt for the $2600 model.