Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I wouldnt bother upgrading.
I did have a 2012 machine - but it was a 13" cMBP so I was after the bigger screen for vieo editing etc - thats my main reason fo upgrading within one year!
This new system I'm keeping for several years.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Personally no, your current Macbook is more than capable for the next 4-5 years. Don't get caught in "the latest tech game" because there is always something around the corner. As long as "your software" is supported by the hardware you have no reason to.

CPU wise looking at maybe a 10% increase in speed. The obvious factor is power consumption in which you get an at best 1-2 more hours (not as big as the Air with a staggering 12 hours).

GPU wise it's the same as the CPU all the 750m is, is just a rebranding of last years 650m (no joke look at the specs the 750m is just a re-clocked 650m). The extra 1GB of VRAM won't make that huge of a difference since games will still struggle to be playable at higher resolution.

Flash storage wise yeah they added a 1TB one but for 500 dollars more (so your paying a buck for each GB). Yes the added speed is nice but so far that speed hasn't been noticeable (I have a 2013 Air with the updated flash).

TB2 yeah it's great but do you even have any TB devices? Then again is there even an affordable TB device in the market?

In the end your looking at minor upgrades, if you really must get an upgrade I would wait for update to the display (IGZO).

Great response! Thanks so much. Going to just keep my mid 2012 retina. No reason to upgrade. Thanks again!

kotty

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
I own a Mac retina 15" 2.4ghz 2013......

I was really waiting for Haswell processor, and a new GPU. But after some reading here about the 750m performance. I think it's better if I stay with my early 2013 retina and save some money

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
snip

GPU wise it's the same as the CPU all the 750m is, is just a rebranding of last years 650m (no joke look at the specs the 750m is just a re-clocked 650m). The extra 1GB of VRAM won't make that huge of a difference since games will still struggle to be playable at higher resolution.

snip

And you don't even get the rebranded nvidia GPU unless you spend $2600. I'd stay with what you have.

Cheers,

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Great response! Thanks so much. Going to just keep my mid 2012 retina. No reason to upgrade. Thanks again!

No problem, I use to be like that also! I would always want to get the latest tech that came out and then I came to realize that there's always something around the corner. As long as the current tech fits my needs then it's more than enough.

I mean next year you'll see more improvements to battery life and another boost in iGPU and next year you'll see another set of chips from nVidia.

The cycle just goes on and on.

Then when you upgrade 4-5 years from now you'll feel more comfortable knowing that your getting an actual upgrade from your previous computer rather than just a spec bump if you kept buying yearly.

I went from a 2006 Macbook to this one and getting this just made it so much worth it when compared to taking the path of re-selling and paying the difference every year for the latest one.

Then the Air was more for portability, I use that for when I go to school/work (8 hours away from home) and the Air provides the battery life to support it.

The rMBP is more for home or short trips.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
No way!

You're looking at a very modest (~10-15%) performance + battery life gain, and little else.

I became a bit of a broken record on the "Waiting for Haswell" thread but my assertion stands: this is a marginal upgrade over the 15" 2012 rMBP. The machine you have should be good enough to see you through the next three years at least, at which point whatever machine you upgrade to will actually feel significantly faster, rather than just slightly better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.