New rMBP but with 3 charge cycles?

xahshengx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Hi, I have a new rmbp that came out of shanghai, but i realised that there are 3 charge cycles and it is 16 days old according to the battery health app. Is that a cause for concern whether it's a new macbook or used?

fitgirl

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2013
Hi, I have a new rmbp that came out of shanghai, but i realised that there are 3 charge cycles and it is 16 days old according to the battery health app. Is that a cause for concern whether it's a new macbook or used?
I would call apple care to double check that they will know weather or not it's new or used by the serial number.

john123

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2001
The posters above are incorrect. This is not abnormal. It has nothing to do with the machine being used or refurbished.

----------

Return it. I received one with 1 cycle :p
Absurd. Ludicrously absurd.

aiyaaabatt

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
Okay, no one in this thread knows what they are talking about. OP, do NOT listen to them.

Apple pre-calibrates all their batteries before packaging them. So, it is common, and expected, to see cycles anywhere from 1-4 OUT OF THE BOX.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
The posters above are incorrect. This is not abnormal. It has nothing to do with the machine being used or refurbished.

----------

Absurd. Ludicrously absurd.
Me absurd? :p

After several returns, this one is a keeper.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I would advise you to return it if it only has one or less charge cycles cuz that would mean that the battery wasnt calibrated correctly.

----------

Me absurd? :p
After several returns, this one is a keeper.
I doubt apple accepted your return for the reason of "charge cycles".

nealh

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
I just got mine from an Apple store 15in rMBP 2.3/16/512 and it had 3 cycles on it. Brand shrink-wrap outside and inside it had the plastic wrap.

I bet there was extra test or software update down...who knows.

No worries its brand new!

Buck987

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2010
If this is the only issue you would be foolish to return it and take the risk of getting a machine with a real problem.

Last edited:

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
3 is not many at all--think of it like a new car--do you expect a new car to have 0 miles? I think mine had 5 or 6 cycles--don't worry about it.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
well

the more people return the better for the refurb section for those who want to save substantially on over priced gadgets. return away then?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It is quite normal for a new Mac to have a few cycles on the battery when delivered. Also, such apps have been known to be inaccurate, especially regarding the age of the Mac.
means its not "new"
but rather a returned / refurbished set.

go to apple and ask for exchange.
No, it does not mean it's returned or refurbished. There is no need to exchange it.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Quu

macrumors 68030
Apr 2, 2007
Mine had 4 cycles on it when I got it. Brand new BTO just for me, made to order in China.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warszawa, Poland
It's so amusing how people look for issues. I guess we could combine checklist of

"What to do after you get new MacBook":
1. Check items placement in the box - if it looks suspicious, return
2. Check for microscratches on notebook with magnifying lens - if succes, return
3. Check battery cycles, if more than 1, return
4. Open checkboard image for 2 hours and check for image retention, return
5. Check if display is LG or Samsung. If any of those - return

What?! Everybody normal does all this stuff after buying laptop, I swear it!