New rMBP Freeze

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ocelot12, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ocelot12 macrumors newbie

Hi,

just bought my haswell 2,6/8GB/512 Macbook Pro.
    After Setup and 10min surfing the web my system locked up and I couldn't do anything except hard boot. Until now it was a one time thing but after using macbook for years I never had a problem like that:confused: could it be hardware problem. Should I change it while it is still possible??

Thanks!

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I think that its just a software glitch. After the first boot, everything is a bit sketchy... If it happens again however, take it back and buy another...

3. skirmisser macrumors member

Got a similar freeze running 10.9 on my 2012 rMBP 2.6/16/512.

I had never rebooted though after the upgrade to 10.9 and the installation continues even after rebooting.

So now testing to see if the reboot (and now clean boot, no post installation) will help...

In any case, this is what we get for using a .0 release :).

Other than that the UI lag is gone, everything is so faster, and during video playback (especially full screen) the machine stays COOL!

4. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

There better not be some Macrumors post on this and Apple "investigating the issue", which turns out to be some form of hardware problem with the first production run.

5. JSalig macrumors 6502

Same here. My freeze occured while web surfing. About a minute before I had increased the resolution. Hopefully it was just a software glitch. Hasn't happened since.

6. ocelot12 thread starter macrumors newbie

i also hope its a software issue, if it happens again ill let you know....after I changed it!!

7. ocelot12 thread starter macrumors newbie

dammmnn! happend again:mad: i guess its a hardware failure...

8. zOlid macrumors regular

zOlid

Just because it happened again, don't mean its a hardware issue.
    Its more the likely some sort of bug in Mavericks, its still a very fresh OS, and will have some bugs in the beginning.

9. ocelot12 thread starter macrumors newbie

that is the thing im not sure of...but i guess if it were a software issue more people would complain but I can't find many people having that problem....

10. skirmisser macrumors member

What were you doing when you got it?

On my 2012 15" rMBP it happened while on Safari and doing a gesture on the touchpad. Have not had a freeze since 10.8.2. So for me it is definitely SW and not HW related.

11. ocelot12 thread starter macrumors newbie

nothing special, I was scrolling down the forum of macrumors...

12. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My system hasn't completely frozen, but I keep getting random beach balls while surfing in Chrome.

13. ocelot12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just did a mac hardware test and no issues were found. Is this a thorough and accurate test? or could be be a hardware failure bypass the test?

Thx!

14. Stef4n macrumors regular

Me too and I have srolling issues, sometimes I can't scroll for up to 5 secs with 2 fingers.

Software issues I guess/hope :)

15. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Same action on my new release 13" rMBP, Just guessing it's the new flash add-on in the sandbox with Mavericks. It has happened twice, once once scrolling over the Surface Ad on The Verge, then scrolling on CNN again moving over an Ad.

16. ocelot12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just changed my rMBP and didn't install flash just to be sure but still had a lockup, so i guess is sure to say its a software problem!:apple:

17. rlantagne21 macrumors member

Purchased a 13" rMBP on Wednesday. Had some sluggish issues initially, seemed to happen only while the battery was low. Did a complete restore, and today the system completely locked up twice. First time was while I was using Numbers, second time was browsing a web site. I'm hoping this is just a software glitch and it will be fixed soon!

18. chibisukee macrumors newbie

This is probably a software glitch.
    I have experienced this on the 2012 rMBP on 10.9
    There are people in the mavericks forums complaining about lockups too.

19. Hemlis macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with scrolling. I found that I could replicate the issue whenever I continuously scrolled up and down or pinched to zoom repeatedly. It seems to be a software issue from what I can tell.

20. spt macrumors member

I have the same problem. Can you check (by opening "Console") whether you have an error message like this?

Code:
    kernel[0]: The USB device Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad (Port 5 of Hub at 0x14000000) may have caused a wake by issuing a remote wakeup (2)
    It seems that many users on this forum are experiencing this problem, on the Apple support forum there's a thread about it as well.

It could be a hardware issue, for example a loose cable. I'm wondering whether all users have it (in which case a software issue seems more likely), or whether the group of users experiencing this problem is actually quite low. In that case I think it might be a hardware issue.

21. callea macrumors regular

callea

Two freezes in 24h on my new MBPr 13" Haswell while surfing on Safari.

No keyboard or trackpad activity. I try to close and open, no success after stop awake.

The only thing was to shut down.

22. buysp macrumors 6502

1 lockup so far on my late 2013 13" 8GB RAM 256GB SSD rMBP when I was playing around with the resolution settings. I had no control over the device so I had to hard reset it.

23. Stef4n macrumors regular

Good to hear, that it might be a software issue!

System Prefs -> General -> "Show scroll bars" on "Always" helped me a little bit, which also indicates a software problem. Nevertheless the problem is still occuring.

24. unleashed12 macrumors newbie

Hey guys i actually made an account just to reply to this thread... i got my shiny new 13'' haswell retina mbp today as well... froze twice on me just like this randomly, the trackpad wont work and the keyboard wont work either, need to power cycle the device to fix it. It freaked me out so bad.

i was reading around on apple support fourms https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5481839?start=0&tstart=0

and it looks like lots of people are having this issue and we arent alone, i doubt its a hardware issue and probably a mavericks bug that can be easily fixed by apple..should call apple support and let them know about it though.

25. IndoX macrumors 6502

This fix works. My multitouch gestures in safari and chrome would freeze sometimes and since switching this setting it hasn't acted up (12+ hours and counting).