Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincmo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hi guys! Title says it all... Couldn't find an answer elsewhere on the forum... I would surely love to save 500$ from the 1TB upgrade and see if I need the extra space later on.... I was wondering if you think it will be possible...

hachiman

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Hi guys! Title says it all... Couldn't find an answer elsewhere on the forum... I would surely love to save 500$ from the 1TB upgrade and see if I need the extra space later on.... I was wondering if you think it will be possible...

Yes, but at the moment, there are no compatible options except directly from Apple.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
The iFixIt teardown of the mid 2013 MacBook Air shows the new style SSD drive. It's still on a dedicated daughter card with a metal edge slot like the previous generations. The connector isn't compatible with the old one.

That means that it's theoretically possible to upgrade the storage in the future but that only Apple has a compatible card to do it at this point. It's possible third-party manufacturers might try to make compatible replacements like they have done in the past.

vincmo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The iFixIt teardown of the mid 2013 MacBook Air shows the new style SSD drive. It's still on a dedicated daughter card with a metal edge slot like the previous generations. The connector isn't compatible with the old one.

That means that it's theoretically possible to upgrade the storage in the future but that only Apple has a compatible card to do it at this point. It's possible third-party manufacturers might try to make compatible replacements like they have done in the past.

Thanks for the precision mfram! That makes the final decision pretty difficult as the option may never become available and 500$ for 0.5 TB is no Monopoly money...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.