new rMBP - screen cracked just from opening lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radiohead14, Nov 5, 2013.

1. radiohead14, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

i guess i spoke too soon when i posted in those "my new rMBP doesn't have any issues" threads. well today, as i opened the lid of my week old rMBP (which is already a replacement to one with freezing, trackpad, and display issues).. i heard a faint "click" sound.. i didn't think much of it until when i shifted position and i caught a glimpse of a hairline crack on the lower left corner of the display. :(

at first i thought it was just a line of dust or fur from our cat.. but nope.. it's a damn crack. ifixit weren't kidding when they mentioned that these new rMBP displays are just too fragile.

i'm still within my 14 days, but i'm afraid of what the apple store people will think.. i really would hate for them to think that i damaged it.. although, if you look at it.. you could see it's such a hairline crack that no way it was done with user mishandling.

it's sad to see apple's quality going downhill like this. opening a laptop's lid should not put enough pressure to put a crack like that on the display. hoping the apple store will be understanding and will let me exchange.

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Not that it should happen, but I'm curious. When this happened, were you lifting the lid by one of the corners or in the center, where the indentation is on the case which allows you to open it?

I can understand that a tight hinge and a thin, flexible lid can result in problems if not handled properly, so if the lid was lifted/adjusted using one of the corners I can understand why it would crack. Again, not saying it's not a design flaw. It shouldn't be that easy to crack.

If it cracked when lifting/adjusting it in the center of the lid then that's something else entirely, though.

I think this just shows that people need to be careful with the lids and use the center of the lid to move/adjust it, which is where it was designed to be done.

3. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Major bummer. Take it back. If it just cracked on its own like that there will obviously be no telltale signs of abuse on the case--nor any sign of impact on the screen... I'm sure they'll make it good for you.

That's some lousy luck, though--especially considering you otherwise had a great sample on your hands! Feel for ya.

4. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no.. i always open it from the lid's groove in the middle. i'm really shocked to see it give like that so easily. from what i gathered with the ifixit teardown.. there's no panel protecting the LCD itself.. hence why it's so fragile:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+Retina+Display+Teardown/9493#s36251

----------

thanks. i'm real bummed, considering this one had no IR, good keyboard travel and feel, and no trackpad or freezing issue.

5. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Fragile, but not so fragile as to crack during normal use. You obviously got stuck with a weak piece of glass.

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

That's a real bummer. Sometimes thinner and lighter aren't better. :(

7. unimac macrumors member

Re-occurring theme w/ apple

Form vs. Function.. Seems they time and time again chose form over function .. Much to the detriment of:
    > reliability
    > durability

We have truly entered into the age of the disposable computer and apple is leading the way. I'm just not so sure I'm comfortable spending $2.4k on a disposable.

8. trevm999 macrumors member

Since it's a hairline crack I don't think you will have any problems dealing with Apple.

9. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brought it in.. the genius desk inspected it and agreed that it doesn't look like user mishandling. they agreed that this was definitely unacceptable and will be happy to exchange. problem is.. all of NYC has been out of stock for the 8/256 configuration. they said it's been 3 days now and have no word when they will get more (including the rest of the NYC apple stores). i wonder if this means that apple has paused production for a minute to adjust something with manufacturing due to these random issues?

10. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

There you go. You were probably unlucky with this model. I've also seen laptops with external cover glasses get their internal LCDs crack for no apparent reason, so it's not just the laminated displays which are at risk.

11. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well today i got my exchange... and my replacement has severe image retention. i wasn't even checking for it, but as soon as i logged off.. i immediately saw that the dock image was burned onto my log on screen. stayed there for a bit. :(

i'm scared of even exchanging now, as i don't want to be that guy who continually exchanges for these.. but then part of me is not accepting the fact that i just paid for a $1500 laptop that has this kind of display issue.

12. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

Dude, if you have to return it once, or 100 times, it doesn't matter. I mean, I'd give up after 3-4 but I've never had to return anything over 3 times. You paid for a laptop that is properly overpriced. And that price premium should include some quality. You paid $1500 for a dual core system, for $1500... that thing should fly and teleport.

13. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sadly, i didn't get the configuration with the flux capacitor.

yea, i'm just gonna have to march myself back to the store and hopefully the apple store employees will be understanding. if my next one also has issues.. i may just look into alternatives. i'd really rather not, but i'm getting pretty disappointed with apple's QC now.

14. Branskins macrumors 65816

When restarting or shutting down, the background image and dock stay on the screen slightly faded. This is something with mavericks. Is this what you are seeing?

Try restarting and you will see that the desktop fades slightly but appears frozen but then goes away

15. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no.. not fading. the dock stayed for a while when i was sitting at the log on screen. finally did the IR test and it's there unfortunately.

16. everfangomanga macrumors member

Dang this was a bummer thread to read through. Hopefully your next unit will be a home run and restores your love of the product.

17. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

I'm sorry, but you are a consumer and Apple has entered into an agreement with you to provide a product of certain standards. If Apple is unable to meet these standards, you have EVERY right to return the product until you are satisfied.

18. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appreciate the input guys!

i had to go run to 2 different apple stores, as the first apple store on fifth ave i went to sold out as soon as i got there. ran as fast as i could to the grand central one, as their system showed that they were the only store left with stock - in all of NYC! initially they told me they just sold the last one.. but i pleaded to double check, and i'm glad i did, as they had one more in the back room!

ok, so it seems like my luck is turning.. but i had to ask if i could set up right there at the store in front of an employee, just in case there was any more issues i encounter with this 4th replacement...

i'm so happy to report that this one is perfect so far! :) (knock on wood, cross my fingers, and i hope that this really is the case this time). i even did some photo editing and did the image retention test right at the store, and this display passed! so it seems like it doesn't matter what model and manufacturer # it is.. whether it is A018 or A020.. as i've had both previously, and both showed IR. the one i have now is A018, manufacturer 610.

19. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

You have definitely had bad luck :(. I hope it gets sorted out for you!!

20. pendragon1984 macrumors 6502

Does your replacement have a mostly uniform colour screen or does it have noticeably uneven temperature? Lots of people (including myself) are having problems like this.

21. Kristine macrumors 6502a

Got my 13" 2.4/16/256 this afternoon. Screen is A018 and perfectly even. There is no yellow tint or IR. From my personal experience, I believe the screen is a Samsung.

22. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

and again.. i spoke too soon... :(

well last night.. all i wanted to do was to finally enjoy having my new laptop and watch a movie. well to my shock.. as soon as the screen turned dark.. i see this on the lower left of the display...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:(

at this point.. i'm so disheartened, and i'm thinking of just giving up on apple.. i may look into windows alternatives... i really don't know what to do now.

23. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Love and light everyone.

Don't just give up on one company just to hop over to the other ships of companies. Give up on them all. Give back into your own life and live as though tomorrow is so much more precious than these hunks of metal… Save your money. It will save time, energy and no stress will keep you down brother.

This is the classic case of 'cause and effect' right? This is what they get for an over stressed work force which has to produce extreme amounts of product to meet a very tiny demand. The red shiny fruity company has way too high of expectations for profit, so who suffers more, not you or I, no, the workers or the iSlaves suffer the worst.

So next time these things break down, don't sweat, don't suffer, know that our brothers and sisters over seas are suffering much, much worse off than any of us combined.

Have a wonderful long weekend everyone. ^_^ Take some time to heal from the woes of technology fails by hugging a real tree sometime?

24. Count Blah, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

jonathan ive approves of the screen's thinness. Hopefully the next iteration will be .0001 MMs thinner. Those big, bulky, sturdy, fully functional cMBPs are an eyesore. Thin, less functional and fragile is the way to go these days.

25. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well.. got my 5th replacement.. it has IR, but at this point.. i'm just so tired of exchanging. i'm considering just accepting this. i'll never think of apple's quality the same way again, and i will have a tough time recommending their notebooks now. i'm still considering windows alternatives tho.. i'll try to decide within these next few days. it's upsetting that we pay so much for these "premium" products, yet some of us have to go through such quality issues.