Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
well.. got my 5th replacement.. it has IR, but at this point.. i'm just so tired of exchanging. i'm considering just accepting this. i'll never think of apple's quality the same way again, and i will have a tough time recommending their notebooks now. i'm still considering windows alternatives tho.. i'll try to decide within these next few days. it's upsetting that we pay so much for these "premium" products, yet some of us have to go through such quality issues.

Man that sucks. You have a big run of bad luck there. I bought 2 and don't have any issues with either one of them.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
well.. got my 5th replacement.. it has IR, but at this point.. i'm just so tired of exchanging. i'm considering just accepting this. i'll never think of apple's quality the same way again, and i will have a tough time recommending their notebooks now. i'm still considering windows alternatives tho.. i'll try to decide within these next few days. it's upsetting that we pay so much for these "premium" products, yet some of us have to go through such quality issues.

Do you remember which panels each of your rMBPs had?

n0id

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Man that sucks. You have a big run of bad luck there. I bought 2 and don't have any issues with either one of them.

Take it back, get a refund, and wait a couple weeks to a month and then reorder. Don't accept a flaw in the retina screen, which is the big selling point of that type of laptop.

I know you've had a horrible run, which is not the norm....and it's no consolation, but for every flawed rmbp you return, apple then fixes and sells to those that like buying the refurbished ones at a discount...so while you're doing apples QA for them, you're also stocking refurbs for the rest of us.

Again, its not meant to make you feel better about your bad run, but as a refurb buyer, I thank you for your service :)

leftyMac

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011

Can you actually ask for a refund? Unless you can go elsewhere to exchange it for another replacement, I think whole NYC is plagued with f*cked up rMBPs.

I'm thinking of buying a rMBP to replace my 2011 MBP, but threads like this one makes me hold on to mine a little longer.

pommephone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
@radiohead14- If I were in your shoes I'd be pissed, but I would not stop until I got what I paid for or a refund. You've mentioned several times worrying about what the store reps will think. Who gives a rat's bum what they think. You know you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to apologize for. It's the folks at Apple who should be worried about what you think, given your experience.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Do you remember which panels each of your rMBPs had?

sorry i don't, as to my knowledge, there currently is no way of telling with the 13". the terminal code doesn't work anymore.

Take it back, get a refund, and wait a couple weeks to a month and then reorder. Don't accept a flaw in the retina screen, which is the big selling point of that type of laptop.

I know you've had a horrible run, which is not the norm....and it's no consolation, but for every flawed rmbp you return, apple then fixes and sells to those that like buying the refurbished ones at a discount...so while you're doing apples QA for them, you're also stocking refurbs for the rest of us.

Again, its not meant to make you feel better about your bad run, but as a refurb buyer, I thank you for your service :)

haha.. thanks.. well good to know i've helped out a bit. :)

Can you actually ask for a refund? Unless you can go elsewhere to exchange it for another replacement, I think whole NYC is plagued with f*cked up rMBPs.

I'm thinking of buying a rMBP to replace my 2011 MBP, but threads like this one makes me hold on to mine a little longer.

@radiohead14- If I were in your shoes I'd be pissed, but I would not stop until I got what I paid for or a refund. You've mentioned several times worrying about what the store reps will think. Who gives a rat's bum what they think. You know you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to apologize for. It's the folks at Apple who should be worried about what you think, given your experience.

hey guys, thanks. i did go back a few times and the fifth ave store took care of me. long story short.. i ended up with a higher spec 13" rmbp and a few hundred dollars off for the troubles. i give apple fifth ave ny store credit for being so good to their customers. :)

ThinkThinkingThunk

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2017
This is serious

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/...retina_screen_cracked_due_to/#bottom-comments

^ “My wife opened up her MacBook this morning and found that there was a single pixel line going vertically up the screen” -> “the led is cracked” “I really think it's a faulty design as that should not happen so easy.”

^(Customer comment) “In my opinion we should gather all customer facing the same issue. It's a Apple Macbook design fault for sure.”

^(Customer comment) “exactly the same here, suddenly my screen started to behave strange, and the more i was working it got worse ”

“it starts out as a hairline crack and then spreads if you touch it or use your computer normally. The design of the hinges and the thin-ness of the display housing allows for pressure points that cause this to happen.”

^(Customer comment) “exact same issue ” “it's only 2 months old. I woke up at 5am and opened it up, both of vertical and horizontal black lines and a small hairline appeared on the screen' left side without any glass screen cracked.”

^(Customer comment) “hey i have the same issue with my 12inch macbook (2016)” “apple is not covering under warranty as they say its due to pressure which i applied but thats not the case”

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7675994?start=0&tstart=0

^ “I have 12inch macbook early 2016 model and yesterday when I was working on it a single dead pixel line appeared” -> “never been dropped or any kind of pressure was applied on it.” “inner LCD is broken… The hairline crack is increasing day by day and there are no signs of drop and there is not even a single scratch on my macbook”

http://mastermindesigns.com/faulty-...cks-easily-because-of-sharp-corner-near-hinge

^ “My wife opened up her MacBook this morning and found that there was a single pixel line going vertically up the screen.” -> “As the day went on it got worse and worse, and it was obvious that the crack was because of the sharp edge on the new MacBooks where the hinge for the screen is.”

^(Customer comment) “Exactly have the same issue here, I even have a photo when the crack wasn’t visible yet”

^(Customer comment) “I have the same issue . I have 12inch early 2016 MacBook and suddenly a small line appears from the left side bottom. It wasn’t dropped ever or pressure was applied or anything which could harm the display. The crack seem to increase day by day and the front glass is fine.” “It’s just 3 months old macbook”

^(Customer comment) “same issue… 12inch macbook 2016 model. The crack appeared itself and was like a dead pixel line” “no signs of impact on my mac”

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/...s_are_present_anywhere_on_my/#bottom-comments

^ “Never been dropped… No Scratches, dents, cracks or marks on my 2015 Macbook retina 12" -> ”one day i opened up my macbook to find my LCD display cracked from the inside on the left side of the laptop”

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3939531?start=0&tstart=0

^ “I shut it down and when I went back to it, I noticed a crack in the lower left hand side. ” -> “I am extremely careful also”

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3306673?start=0&tstart=0

^ “bought my first MacBook Air just over a month ago and couldn't have been more careful with it. I used a case everytime it went anywhere and didn't bang it on anything, drop it or knock anything against it” -> “relatively small crack appeared on the LCD behind the screen literally out of nowhere and without anything happening to it” “replacement was sent” -> “I've been even more careful with it… Just now I've noticed a crack that looks exactly the same as the one before but on the oppisite side of the screen ”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.