New rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, May 2, 2015.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Just got an open box rMBP for $1900 at BB. Only thing missing is a power adapter but I have 3 of those :D

What do you guys think, worth it? I needed a laptop for mobile work, but I held off purchasing one for about a year but couldn't pass up this opportunity. It's Mid 2014 15", 2.5Ghz Quad, 512GB SSD 16GB RAM.

I wanted to hold off for Broadwell, not really for the speed, but more for less power usage (and would assume it would get less hot) and the discreet GPU and Iris Pro speed bump. Main concern is heat and battery usage -- haptic feedback & new MacBook 12" keyboard would be welcome too but not in dire need.

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Sounds like a great deal to me, but will you have zero regrets when the Broadwell rMBP finally does come out?

3. Rhcpcjg macrumors regular

good deal, that computer retails for $2499, I own a similar computer but lately I have been using a 12' retina macbook. obviously the retina macbook doesn't match the performance of the 15' rMBp which is why I purchased a the 12", so i can do mobile work.

4. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I might sell this used and pass on the savings to someone and just get a Broadwell...I'm sure Apple will price it at 2249 or something.

It was 2249 about a month ago. I got it for $1920 after taxes with a 10% movers coupon. Not bad in my opinion...I was going to get the 2015 13" for $1099 but after looking at it and looking at the specs, the trackpad and size didn't really do it for me. For $800 I could get the rMBP, why not.

5. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Which model did you get? Integrated or dedicated graphics?

6. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

MGXC2LL/A

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

8. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Wow thats a great deal OP... EDIT: holy cow you got the model that has dedicated GPU o_O
    Here in Japan, the same model costs way too much (around $2,600.) I was willing to pay that much, but now, I'm gonna wait for the Broadwell 15".

9. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I picked up one of those at BBY in March for $2249, and got a 1st gen iPad Air (128GB AT&T) for $400 as well - both new in box.

10. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I always envy the amazing sales in the U.S.. Can't wait to go there!

11. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I'd rather live in Japan and enjoy good sushi :)

But as they say, the grass is always greener on the....

12. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

yeah that seems like a prety good deal to me as well. Not having a charger is a bit of a setback, but im sure those can be had for around relatively inexpensively (50 or so).

Honestly, I was going to wait for either broadwell or skylake and pick up a baseline model, but i found a deal for the 2.5 512 16gb with 750m for only 1700. This is legit, in immaculate condition, less than 30 battery cycles and 8 months applecare left. I couldn't pass it up. In fact, I kinda bought it before I even had time to think about it.

Might be a little more laptop for my needs, but only for now given my work, but the price was too damn good.

Congrats on the purchase and hope you like it. I know I am loving mine more and more each day.

13. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Ok just an update. A few buttons fell out and there's a bump on the bottom and the video card has glitches. Took it back to Best Buy and caused a ruckus for trying to sell me this broken thing. They would not give me a new one and they even tried to upsell me a "new" one sealed for the same damn price Apple store is selling. I called Apple to complain because one of the people was pretending to work for Apple inside of Best Buy. BB has the worst customer service in history. Scientology has better customer service than Best Buy. I will never give another dime to BB in my life, that's a promise.

14. seong macrumors 65816

seong

right! other side :) I'm going to enjoy as much sushi as possible for now haha

----------

Where do you people get these deals!? Craigslist???

----------

Ohhhhhhh ok, didn't see this post before replying to your last one. I have no idea how they got hold of the lemon (do people still use this word?) you have right now :\ Hope everything gets sorted out for you.
    Have you tried looking up the apple care date for your laptop? Does it still have the valid one year, or is it expired?

15. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I just returned it. I'm sure if I fought hard Apple or Best Buy would've given me a brand new one, but I figured it's not worth the fight and I don't want to deal with it...would rather wait for the new rMBP and by then I'm sure there will be new sales. :)

16. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Best Buy really should be called Buyer Beware, because they take ripping off people to a whole new level.

I have my own anecdotes regarding sales experiences with BB, but I think it's better to just say that I rarely shop there anymore unless it's for Blu-Rays, DVDs, or console games on sale.

17. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

It doesn't even make sense going to BB if you have something like Amazon Prime. I usually (sometimes) go to BB if I can get some type of discount through price matching.

Corporations like BB are the reason why brick and mortar stores are going to go away - for the lack of customer service and lying and cheating their way to the top.

This guy at the store I went to pretended to "work for Apple" and I told him he did not work for Apple and he was flabbergasted. I have friends who work for Apple at higher ups than the stores, so it is annoying when people lie for the sake of "prestige."

I complained to Apple I hope they take care of it so someone else doesn't get shafted.

Honestly I'd rather pay $300 more and just get a brand new one for $2249 or just get a used one.

18. Phyco126 macrumors member

I've had good dealings with our local Best Buy. The majority of the staff seem competent enough to answer questions while knowing when to say "I don't know" when you ask them about something. Other Best Buy's I've been to (out of state) have been... not bad but not good either. The worst is the computer section, where misinformation runs rampant.

Them: Oh yeah, this is a 8 Terehertz 90 Gig processor, the latest from ASUS. It's a duad core, which means it runs at 500 billion Terahertz. It's known as an Atom processor because it's the size of an atom! Cool huh?! AND it has a 70 terawatz storage drive! Fastest on the market!

Me: Uh...

19. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

If they were wearing a black polo shirt with an Apple logo, then it actually was an Apple employee. Apple has had their own employees in Best Buy ever since CompUSA closed.

20. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Great to hear! Yes, the little hassle that one has to go through for these laptop replacement is a pain in the neck. I'll try to avoid Best Buy as much as possible once i get to the sates :)

21. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I Called Apple and they said they don't have Apple employees inside of bsst buy.

22. mjs402 macrumors 6502

Really? This is interesting. Good to know.

23. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Are you sure you spoke to the real company Apple? ;) ... seriously though, Apple does indeed have employees at BB who are representatives for Apple. The person I deal with almost exclusively at BB is an Apple employee. He is a really good friend I've known for quite some time so there is no "pretending" there.
    I'm sure they aren't at every best buy in the country but I know they do have many.

Kal.

24. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

So either the person you spoke to is lying or you're making this up yourself. Apple has employees in the stores, I know several of them personally.

25. snaky69 macrumors 603

Kind of odd to ask about a purchase after the fact, no?

I doubt the next iteration of the 15" will be earth-shattering.