New Rumor Suggests Apple Pay Will Launch in Sweden Next Week [Updated x2]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is gearing up to launch Apple Pay in Sweden next week, according to a report by Swedish site MacPro [Google Translate]. The site stated that the first financial partner with Apple Pay in Sweden will be the bank Nordea, and that the two companies will jointly announce the mobile wallet collaboration one week from today, on October 24.

[​IMG]

During its third quarter earnings call in August, Apple confirmed that Apple Pay would be expanding to Finland, Denmark, Sweden, and United Arab Emirates before the end of 2017. So far, the mobile payments service hasn't yet appeared in any of these areas, and a rumor about Germany gaining Apple Pay functionality by September has also failed to materialize.

Currently, Apple Pay is available in the United States, United Kingdom, China, Australia, Canada, Switzerland, France, Hong Kong, Russia, Singapore, Japan, New Zealand, Spain, Italy, Taiwan, and Ireland. In a future update to iOS 11, Apple Pay will also gain a new person-to-person payments feature -- Apple Pay Cash -- so that users can transfer money to one another within Messages. This feature will only be available in the U.S. at launch.

Update 1: MacPro has reported that Finland and Denmark could see the debut of Apple Pay next week as well.

Update 2: MacPro has now shared the retail partners Apple Pay will have in Sweden at launch: Pressbyrån, 7-11 and Elgiganten.

Article Link: New Rumor Suggests Apple Pay Will Launch in Sweden Next Week [Updated x2]

2. kacper1703 macrumors newbie

And Poland? Please I have a sick daughter...

3. veliaze macrumors newbie

Finally Apple pay is making its debut in Sweden! Now I just hope my bank will jump on the ship as well...

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

5. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Time to reactivate my swedish Nordea account and transfer some money.

6. MaximTV macrumors 6502a

MaximTV

When's Apple Pay going to launch in Germany?

Probably not anytime soon. :(

7. Kiro macrumors member

Kiro

It's up to our greedy banks... so nope, we won't get this anytime soon.

8. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

9. larspetterh macrumors newbie

Please include Norway as well!! We have Nordea though..

10. MjWoNeR macrumors 6502

MjWoNeR

Considering the antipathy we have towards cash over here, I wonder why hasn’t Apple Pay launched much earlier.

Now they have something to compete against. Swish has been around in Sweden for 5 years already, it’s multi-platform and even though it’s not exactly the same, it allows free instant money transfer among private persons and has the support of 8 banks, since the banks created it. There is no open market seller that does not accept Swish. Sure growth has been slow among online retailers and physical shops but you do see it spreading.
    Anyway Apple Pay is welcome!

11. tob! macrumors regular

12. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

↑ Swish is totally dominating the person-to-person payments in Sweden. Even though iPhones are extremely common here in Sweden, I think people will think I'm a weirdo if I ask if I can pay/receive through Pay. It would be very convenient to use my Watch to pay in the grocery store though.

But just one bank at launch? o_O (ironically the bank that just moved their HQ out of Sweden)

How about you join EU first? I'm sure it would be easier for you guys to join Pay if you were under the same set of laws.

13. fjarl macrumors member

Finally, ApplePay comes to Sweden. But only to one of the worst banks there is? Hopefully, other banks will follow suit and join the programme.

14. MaximTV macrumors 6502a

MaximTV

15. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

After visiting the US i am actually surprised that Germany has not gotten it yet and have to reverse my judgment regarding cashless payment options in Germany.

I havent seen cashing systems as slow as in the US like omg it took forever to process my credit card and chip? Most cashier looked at me like ???? and had me sign a receipt even when it said PIN VERIFIED. When i pointed it out and was like look there isnt even a field to sign on the receipt ... one even walked over to her colleague and both were like hmmmmm still sign it to be sure. And tapping seems to be unheard of too!

Oh and some ATMs look like they r from 2 centuries ago. I was like is this thing even genuine?

I was really shocked

16. Lennholm macrumors 6502a

Not to mention how in Sweden everyone's been using chip-and-pin for years so most of the issues associated with credit cards that Apple used to market Apple Pay is non-existent.

17. tmiw macrumors 68000

Most businesses in the US would much rather you use cash. They aren't going to be all that much in a hurry to improve their card terminals as a result.

18. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Now I can buy me some meatballs and vodka with my thumb!

Wait, that was really culturally insensitive. Sorry.

19. MH01 Suspended

MH01

20. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Please launch in Norway as well - long overdue! :rolleyes:

21. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Could we at least have some rumors about a launch in Germany aswell?

22. ArneK macrumors regular

Can’t believe they bring it to Sweden before Germany :((( can’t apple just give in and make a deal with german banks or even better just open the technology to everyone

23. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

I thought the US is all about being cashless. Dont understand why Apple Pay works but credit card tapping does not or at least no one suggested it to me. Once i asked and they said sorry thats disabled

24. ArneK macrumors regular

Yeah for some reasons it never works in the US and everything is super slow. The technology is there though - the same terminals work just fine with my NFC cards in Canada. No clue why they make it such a pain in the ass to use there

25. tmiw macrumors 68000

A lot of people use their cards, sure, but merchant fees are pretty high compared to a lot of other countries. That results in Visa/MC getting sued pretty often, among other things.