[New Rumor] Will 8k arrive to iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MaTechnology, Jul 20, 2015.

1. MaTechnology macrumors newbie

Hello, how do you do?

Probably you know that in the CES 2015 event, Sharp and other brands have introduced the world highest resolution: 8k.

Well, LG announced that a new iMac 8k will arrive this year. You can see it here: http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/06/lg-publicly-claims-apple-will-release-imac-8k-with-8k-screen-this-year/.

This can be a Little bit stupid because actually there are no components to support that resolution fluently (But Windows 10 will). That's why I think this is a Little bit strange.

I'd like to know if this is true because if I'm right LG posted that in the April Fool day. Also, when you try to enter the official link to that post (to verify if the information is true) YOU DON'T HAVE PERMISSION: April Fools?

Do you think that Apple is going to launch an 8k iMac?

And also I'd like to know why we cannot see the LG oficial page where it says that stuff (http://lgdnewsroom.com/). The page is like "invisible".

April fools?

[​IMG]

This is the image to the oficial post by LG.

A few hours ago I was trying to see why cannot we see the content of that page and the browser says: "The browser can connect to the page, but the web rejected to show information, you must be logged to see the info". If you try to connect you'll see that the web is totally White (you don't have permission to watch the page).

Open Google Translator and try to translate that page to another language. Your browser will told you the message I writte before: "You must be logged to watch the content".

What's happening? Did LG make a mistake?

I hope you can help me.

Thanks.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

8K is a long way off being mainstream, hell they have had little luck with 4K and broadcasters still don't support 4K in all but the smallest fashion. Yes 8K will get here but you've got to be looking at 8-10 years before it's mainstream...

3. MaTechnology thread starter macrumors newbie

So, it's true? Are they working at an 8k iMac?

4. jerwin, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

jerwin macrumors 65816

Consider this bit drawn from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8K_resolution

The smallest television listed is one metre high, and two metres wide. It's not something that would fit comfortably on someone's desk.

However. I do have an additional 20 inch 1080 monitor off to the side, that I use for the overflow from my desktop. Right now, it's displaying itunes.

It is quite obviously both physically smaller and visually inferior to my 27 inch imac's screen. It would be nice to have another 5k screen. So a 11520 x 2880 monitor might appeal to me. (34 cm high, 120 cm wide)
    But I'd get neck strain if I was looking at a screen that was twice as high.

On the other hand, I suppose I could get used to it.

Apple will have to get rather serious about using top of the line desktop graphics (in "SLI" or "CrossfireX" mode) No more mobile nonsense.

5. Lankyman macrumors 68000

A better question would be - does anyone actually care outside the tech-head early adopters.

I hope to get lots more years out of my mid-2011 21.5 inch iMac since putting an SSD in there and I remain more than happy with the current IPS screen.

I suspect if you took a thousand ordinary buyers and asked them the question - do you want 4K? they would first ask if it was a no cost option and if it was many would shrug their shoulders and still not care one way or the other.

My TV has 3D capability, I have two pairs of the required glasses and yet we have never watched anything in 3D. So much hype, so little interest. Just the act of typing this post has made me sleepy with boredom.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Ha ha ha all so true.

OP even if apple are developing one (which I doubt) no one here would know and if they did they would be contractually obliged to keep their mouths shut. More Importantly there is no chance of one beingon sale for at least 5 years so don't even think about it...

7. jerwin macrumors 65816

It's akin to memory.

Do you need to upgrade from 2 GB to 4 GB? YES!
    From 4GB to 8GB? of course.
    From 8GB to 16GB? might help, particularly if you use VMs
    From 16 GB to 32 GB? Only if you use certain applications with huge datasets. If you have to ask...

Going from 2K to 4K or 5k-- everything is just a bit crisper. Rather nice. Go for it.
    Going from 4K to 8K--You do have a plan for this, don't you? You have room for this on your desk?

8. fathergll macrumors 6502a

Will Apple release a 5400 rpm hard drive version? That would be so cool and Apple like

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

As an owner of a 5k, I really don't see the need for an 8k. It is gorgeous the way it is and it doesn't need anything else taxing the resources. I just don't see the added benefit in any way similar to the leap from the old imac to the 5k screen.

10. MaTechnology thread starter macrumors newbie

8k means 2.5 times 5k and also the human eye resolution limit.
    I can tell you there's difference, trust me.

But the problem is the fact there are no content for those resolutions.

11. OneZweiThree macrumors regular

The Problem is, it would take mac pro hardware to run it. There is no way, they could fit hardware, that is capable of pushing an 8k display in the housing of the current iMac. 5k really is the future for the iMac for the next 5 years minimum.

12. jerwin macrumors 65816

How physically large would the screen be?

13. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No, a least not one to be announced anytime soon. 5K is still so new, and trying to cram 8K into a 27" display at this point would be exceedingly difficult and expensive.

Expect a 4K 21.5" later this year, but that's it.

14. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Animated movie makers dont even like the fact that they have to now render movies in 4k because it requires so much more time and effort. They will go nuts when they are expected to produce 8k content.
    Its nuts, wont happen for a very long time.
    I personally just dont see the point. I dont think my 27" non retina imac has too little pixels. I used a 5k imac and honestly, I didnt notice much of a difference. Yes everything looked very crisp but I dont notice the single pixels on the standard imac either.
    Maybe in 10 years time when everything has moved on I would like to have an 8k tv, but at the moment even my 85" 4k samsung is overkill as you barely get any 4k material.

15. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I have no idea what you mean by that comment. A 100" 8k screen would have pixels 0.2mm across, which is VERY resolvable by the human eye.

Of course you couldn't resolve them at 5m viewing distance, but equally you can't resolve the pixels on a 40" 1080p screen at 5m viewing distance, so by your description, the 40" screen is already perfection.

Basically, "the human eye resolution limit" is a meaningless concept.

16. jerwin macrumors 65816

I'm still not clear on whether 8k is supposedly useful for the extra resolution, or useful for the extra room.

17. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

The iMac consistently got bigger screens over time, but has stalled at 27" for quite a long time. And now larger monitors are becoming more mainstream. If Apple wanted to go bigger, they wouldn't want to do anything less than the 27" 5K monitor in terms of quality.

8K at the same pixel density as the 5K iMac would be about 43" screen size. Possibly too big. Maybe an iPhone 6 Plus style @3x density could be used to give a 30" iMac.

Samsung are working on an 11K mobile phone screen. We haven't seen the end of the pixel wars.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a bigger iMac, and if we did, it would have a higher resolution. But like 5K, it doesn't have to be a broadcast size as the bigger screen will be beneficial for creating content rather than consuming (photos go well beyond 8K anyway). If a bigger iMac turned up, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 32" 6K. I would love that if it did happen.

The 8K LG rumour could well be down to a typo.

18. jerwin macrumors 65816

I suppose the standard, run of the mill APS-C sensor these days does 6000 x 4000. which won't fit on an iMac 5k. Moreover, you'd need a "7k" display to fit in the full width-- as APS-C and 135 cameras all have a squarer 3:2 aspect ratio. The Canon 5DR produces 8,688 x 5,792 pixel images.

Three posibilities:

For some reason, the price on displays of this resolution crash, and it'll be a cycle of oneupmanship.
    Apple releases a 18K Gold Imac 8K Edition with a price to match.
    Some human factor engineer comes up with a new form factor (perhaps 21:9, though that's still rather gimicky) that makes 8K a necessity.

A 30 inch retina monitor would be nice, but the video interface might be a problem.

19. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    With a rebranded, 2013 midrange AMD graphics card?

Apple seriously needs to re-assess their priorities, it is all very well to have a 5k, when the demand for 4k is just started to increase, however, they need to stop using 5400rpm hdds, and mid range, re-branded tripe GPUs. For the RiMac in 2015, an 128/256GB SSD should be mandatory, and for the higher end models, a GTX 990M would do quite nicely, that is rumoured to work perfectly with 4k.

20. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I posted the information below in a thread about CES announcements, but thought it deserved to be in the iMac section where the people most interested would possibly see it, but it doesn't need another new thread on the subject when there is already one.

LG have announced a 31.5" 8K monitor panel. Hopefully that means the 8K iMac rumour is true after all.

The announcement is hidden near the bottom of this LG press release: http://www.lgdisplay.com/eng/prcenter/newsView?articleMgtNo=4962

21. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

This would be amazing if they released a 32" iMac .. but I highly doubt it .. but would definitely buy it even though it will probably be like $4k+

22. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

Even worse, in the Netherlands (not sure about the rest of Europe) a lot of TV content is still produced in SD. Personally I can't stand watching SD content upscaled to 4K resolution unless you like blocky and unsharp stuff.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see apple rolling out an 8k display when the ink is not even dry on the 5k (figuratively speaking). We are just received the second generation 5k iMac and there's not much out there, to fully leverage the 5k display, i.e., how many 5k videos are we watching?

24. Seed101 macrumors 6502

Seed101

I'm sure Apple are looking at 8k screen's but as other's have mentioned, the top end iMac is just about getting to grips with out-putting 4K content at the moment...and animator's/editors are still loathe to produce at 4K for productivity reasons.
    Apple would need to sort the innards out first, and they seem to choose reliability over 'highest power'..still, maybe a larger form factor (32"?) would help...

25. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

There might be some credence to this, for through my travels on the web I came across where someone mention there was a rumor that Apple will not make 27" iMac in 2016. Though he loosely stated it in the article himself, so I think you have to take it with a grain of salt.