Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
8k may be possible someday, but I don't see it coming from Apple for several years, yet.

We don't even have networks broadcasting content in 4k yet.

So 4k (5k in the case of the iMac) is "gonna be it" for a while to come...

Reactions: ucfgrad93

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I don't see apple rolling out an 8k display when the ink is not even dry on the 5k (figuratively speaking). We are just received the second generation 5k iMac and there's not much out there, to fully leverage the 5k display, i.e., how many 5k videos are we watching?

An 8K iMac probably wouldn't be a good choice for consuming content (except photos as many cameras take images well beyond 8K), but would be a good choice for creating content. I'm constantly juggling screen space for game development. The more working space I have, the better.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
8K is a long way off being mainstream, hell they have had little luck with 4K and broadcasters still don't support 4K in all but the smallest fashion. Yes 8K will get here but you've got to be looking at 8-10 years before it's mainstream...

I agree. I don't see Apple introducing an 8K iMac this year and probably not next year either.

torquer

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Apple doesn't generally do things just to "e-peen" or ballyhoo useless specs. Look at the pixels per inch on all of their retina displays. They hover around 250 on the desktop and just around 300 on iPhone and iPad. There would be no benefit to them to drive an 8k display. They went 5k because the math worked out perfectly for "retina" class ppi and that they can advertise the ability to edit 4k video in Final Cut Pro pixel for pixel along with the timeline and so on. Its also worth noting that mathematically, the 5k iMac was 4 times the number of pixels as the outgoing model. Same for the 4k iMac. This isn't by accident. Typical retina hi-dpi has rendered 4x the number of pixels in the same physical space to achieve the additional sharpness we all love.

You'll see a 4k or quad HD iPhone before you see an 8k mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samuelsan2001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.