NEW Samsung 27" LED Display (S27A550H)...........

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doingitlive, Apr 8, 2011.

1. doingitlive macrumors member

from Best Buy FREAKING ROCKS!!!!! So earlier this week I purchased the new ASUS 24" LED VE249H Monitor but after using it for a few days I still wanted something close to the quality of the Mac Cinema display but did not want to fork up the $1000 for it. Well Thursday morning before work I was looking through BB website when I see they have added a new item, :D , and of the 8 BB stores within a 75 mile radius of my home only 1 had them in stock and they only had 2. I quickly called the store up reserved one, packed up the ASUS, and drove my ass as fast as I could to make a quick exchange. While there I picked up some Bose® - Companion® 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System to go with my new setup. All I have to say is that this display is B-E-A-U-TIFUL and with the purchase of the speakers I have around $400 to put towards a 256 GB SSD. I have attached some pics and the stats of the display. IMO this is the better option for those who want more for their money, without the sacrifice. Please rate my setup guys!!!! :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My iPhone camera does not give this display the justice it deserves but I SWEAR this Display is Excellent!!!!

LINK:
    http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/...r/LS27A550HS/XS/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

Information displayed is accurate at time of launch.
    Features and specifications are subject to change without prior notification.
    Display Screen Size 27" (16:9)
    Brightness (Typical) 300cd/m²
    Contrast Ratio (Typical) DCR Mega ∞ (Static 1,000:1)
    Resolution 1,920 x 1,080
    Response Time (Typical) 2ms (GTG)
    Viewing Angle (Horizontal/Vertical) 170°/160°
    Color Support 16.7M
    Signal Input Video Signal HDMI, D-sub
    Sync. Signal Separate, composite, SOG
    Connector HDMI, D-sub
    Feature Plug & Play DDC 2B
    Dimension Product Dimension (With Stand, WxHxD) 648 x 483 x 258mm
    Product Dimension (Without Stand, WxHxD) 648 x 399 x 69mm
    Weight Product Weight 4.3kg

Information displayed is accurate at time of launch.
    Features and specifications are subject to change without prior notification.
    Display Screen Size 27" (16:9)
    Brightness (Typical) 300cd/m²
    Contrast Ratio (Typical) DCR Mega ∞ (Static 1,000:1)
    Resolution 1,920 x 1,080
    Response Time (Typical) 2ms (GTG)
    Viewing Angle (Horizontal/Vertical) 170°/160°
    Color Support 16.7M
    Signal Input Video Signal HDMI, D-sub
    Sync. Signal Separate, composite, SOG
    Connector HDMI, D-sub
    Power Power Consumption 40.0W
    Stand By Power (DPMS) 0.5W
    Type External Adaptor
    Feature Plug & Play DDC 2B
    USB powered hub option No
    Mac compatibility Yes
    Multimedia Speakers No
    Wall-Mount No
    TCO No
    Cabinet Colour ToC (Rose Black)
    Optional Accessories D-sub cable
    Special Features Eco Motion Sensor, Eco Light Sensor, Eco Saving, Multi Screen S / W, Samsung MagicAngle, Samsung MagicBright3, Samsung MagicColour, Off Timer, MagicTune, Customised Key, Image Size, DVI with HDCP
    Dimension Product Dimension (With Stand, WxHxD) 648 x 483 x 258mm
    Product Dimension (Without Stand, WxHxD) 648 x 399 x 69mm
    Shipment Dimension (WxHxD) 731 x 483 x 147mm
    Weight Product Weight 4.3kg
    Shipment Weight 6.3kg
    Stand Type Simple
    Function Tilt

2. brentsg macrumors 68030

It's large, but still just a TN panel.. probably 6 bit.

You aren't getting anywhere close to the ACDs with this.

That's not to say it doesn't meet your needs. One of my displays is TN and it's perfectly fine for what I use it for. It's just not comparable to my IPS display.

3. diamornte macrumors regular

Spend a little money on a nice desk and you're set.

Only issue I would have with that monitor is the aspect ratio---looks like black bars on the side?

4. jondob macrumors member

Wana explain what all that just meant? I'm looking to buy the same samsung for an external display... What the hell is a tn panel 6 bit ips n all that even mean?

The picture looks great on that samsung and its hd

5. brentsg, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

brentsg macrumors 68030

Here is a good post from a while back: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11721838&postcount=19

There are 3 major types of LCD panels. TN is the cheapest and also the lowest quality. You won't get accurate images or good viewing angles, and they are often 6 bit panels so they have to use dithering algorithms to approximate all of the colors they claim to display.

Of course sometimes none of this matters.

Apple is using IPS panels in the ACD displays, which offer the most accurate colors and best viewing angles.

There are some great references out there that explain in proper detail.

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It has to do with panel construction and display type. TN is generally a cheaper panel to make and as such sacrifices some of the color depth and clarity/realism. If you don't know your probably better off not knowing, as once you become a slave to the specs, it becomes hard to go back. You are better off picking one that is pleasing to and easy on your eyes, than becoming a slave to the spec. Once a slave you start letting the numbers sway you and end up searching forever and spending lots of money rather than just enjoying your product (these are my thought on the subject, and yes I am a slave to the specs unfortunately).

7. jondob macrumors member

Yeah spec slaves are the worst. I'm like that with a lot of things, esp with electronics and computers... I think i'll just not research it all and not know :p

8. mackage macrumors 6502

I agree. I could tell immediately (bad camera or not). Even your laptop screen seems to have more dimension and deeper blacks.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I agree about being the slave. The worst specs go with audio as there is no standard on how to rate them. Is wow and flutter measured at RMS measurement levels or peak (varies from manufacturer to manufacturer)? How should the THD be measured (over the range or over a single high output Hz cycle measurement) that they also use for output measurements? The higher end audio components are all usually measured conservatively, when the cheaper ones are high measured within the noise gate to make them seem more powerful and impressive than they actually are. How should the measurements be made (1, 2, 4, 6, or 8 ohm) as they all make a difference in sound quality and output??

10. brentsg macrumors 68030

If you don't need accurate colors for anything, won't get annoyed by limited viewing angles (in particularly vertical), and just want an inexpensive display then just buy whatever looks nice.

If you need color accuracy for any reason then it's not just a spec thing.

11. mackage macrumors 6502

I was never slave to the specs, but as soon as I saw my first Cinema Display....it was all over. The picture did the talking....f the specs. Amazing to say the least.

12. noogin macrumors newbie

seems like the only good IPS panels in the market atm are dell ultrasharps and acd's :/

13. brentsg macrumors 68030

Surely NEC has something worthwhile to offer?

14. noogin macrumors newbie

the NEC EA231 is pretty nice for the price, but it doesnt look sleek enough imo ;)

15. c7aea macrumors regular

There are plenty of good IPS screens out there. I think that the Ultrasharps are a really good value for the money, and the features you get. With coupons, when available, I don't think I could have found another 30" screen for anywhere close to dells price. Others would have been at least another 1K, Yes some do boast slightly better specs. But like mentioned before it can get dangerous focusing too much on specs alone. is it really worth an extra $1000?

Apples display does look nice I am just not that big of fan of a glossy screen that is so big. But just personal preference. I am also not sure why apple did away with the 30" If they could offer the 30" at $999 it would be very nice. And you would get to keep the 16:10 aspect ratio. Which is the same as the MBP screen and you wouldn't have the black bars on the side of the screen.

If a 30" is not in your budget I would actually recommend a 24" before a 27" just to keep the 16:10 ratio. But again thats a personal preference thing

16. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

That's odd. Those Bose speakers are definitely not the Series II speakers. They are the Series I speakers. Does BestBuy still sell the old Bose model speakers? :confused:

17. iMackPro macrumors 6502

im totally digging it man. I am in the market for buying an external display as well. I was debating between this monitor and an LG LED display, both were right at the same price. 299 i believe? or maybe 199 i cant remember haha i was more into the specs! Both were 27" and both had 5 million:1 dynamic and 2ms response time. Is that what yours is?

18. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Notice that it's 1920 x 1080.

My Dell U2711 is 2560 x 1440, and I think the same is true of the 27" ACD and iMac. For me, that makes a big difference.

19. iMackPro macrumors 6502

im in the market for an ED, whered you pick that up and how much did ya give for it sir?

20. doingitlive thread starter macrumors member

Yeah ATM my computer room is in my spare room, I know it looks bad, but currently putting down some nice bamboo flooring in my office. Going to IKEA this weekend to get a real desk. I feel like im back in college sitting at this desk, lol. Oh and I know its not "better" than the the other displays out there but its good for my needs ATM, and its quite eco friendly. yes that is black bars you see there still fooling around with the aspect ratio and settings. Will post some better pics on my SLR this weekend once I finish my setup. The rest will be a surprise. Thanks for your opinions peeps. :)

21. iMackPro macrumors 6502

will you answer my questions please! what did you pay for that beauty?!

22. doingitlive thread starter macrumors member

Paid $400 for mine at BB. I have Premier status with them so i try to buy everything I can from them. Already spent close to $5k this year with them, saving all my reward zone for the end of the year when Im gonna do the a BB Magnolia Home Theater, cant wait!!!

23. doingitlive thread starter macrumors member

Sorry $399 plus tax :D

24. iMackPro macrumors 6502

awesome! that blows away the price of apples. not quite as nice, but for what id be doing.. browsing the web and email and the occasional yahoo game lol. its perfect. I'll be purchasing one this week!

25. iMackPro macrumors 6502

why dont you use your comp in clamshell mode? doesnt it help your graphics or something?