Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
SSHDD? Is that a hybrid or the Solid State you're refering to; and yes the SSDs are expensive and the cheaper ones with MLC are the suck.

Wow you have a nice setup in your MBP. I am drooling all over that 500GB drive. Might wait until one slightly bigger comes out before I replace my drive though...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Wow you have a nice setup in your MBP. I am drooling all over that 500GB drive. Might wait until one slightly bigger comes out before I replace my drive though...

Yes this Samsung is the bomb. :D

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
I still have the original 120GB in my late 2006 model MBP (about 17GB still free...yikes) and the drive is pretty close to silent. I'm curious how much louder--or, less quiet--we're looking at with this upgrade. Any chance you could provide a sound file? (I know, "looking a gift horse in the mouth," since it's been good of you to provide details/photos, etc.). Was your 320 original to your MBP?

thanks.

kalimba

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Apologies for the newb question, but when you upgrade your drive like this, how do you get everything on your current drive (OS, all applications & data, etc.) moved to the new drive before making the swap? I come from a Windows background where it's a pure PITA. Is this any easier on a Mac?

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Apologies for the newb question, but when you upgrade your drive like this, how do you get everything on your current drive (OS, all applications & data, etc.) moved to the new drive before making the swap? I come from a Windows background where it's a pure PITA. Is this any easier on a Mac?

Simple, buy an enclosure with whatever drive you choose,put the new drive in the enclosure,get on google and download either carbon copy cloner or superduper, clone the old drive to the new, boot from the new drive just to make sure it's not DOA, take apart your Mac,take the new drive out the enclosure & the old one out the Mac & swap them over, you then have a nice new external that was once your internal

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
Hi everybody, What about this...

...instead of partitioning the inside HD, could I use a bootable ext. drive to install Windoof:D for my stuff and FSX??? No idea if with this setup, when connecting before booting up, it asks what I want, Windoof:D or OSX :p

Thanks for your input!:apple:

Neil321

macrumors 68040
yes you can install windows on an external but wether or not you can boot from it is up for debate i'm gonna say no as i would imagine you would have problems with it's BIOS or registry,why not give it ago and report back with your findings??

Oh and that type's a little loud

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
That doesn't quite cut it...

yes you can install windows on an external but wether or not you can boot from it is up for debate i'm gonna say no as i would imagine you would have problems with it's BIOS or registry,why not give it ago and report back with your findings??
sorry about the font.type;)

Well, under windoof it works. When booting up it would ask you which of the @ Windoof's you want to use as OS.

Has someone tried this?

Neil321

macrumors 68040
But wouldn't Bootcamp be able to help here?

If it can i dunno how as you use bootcamp to install windows which would kinda defeat what your trying to do,why not use bootcamp to install windows on say a 5-10GB partition and put your progs etc on an external i'm pretty sure that would work

oh nearly forgot why not put your question out in the windows on the Mac sub forum that way you should get more responses to your question

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
...instead of partitioning the inside HD, could I use a bootable ext. drive to install Windoof:D for my stuff and FSX??? No idea if with this setup, when connecting before booting up, it asks what I want, Windoof:D or OSX :p

Thanks for your input!:apple:

I have no idea what Windoof is, sorry. :confused:

As far as I know, the only OS you can install on the external and boot from on a Intel Mac is OS X.

I still have the original 120GB in my late 2006 model MBP (about 17GB still free...yikes) and the drive is pretty close to silent. I'm curious how much louder--or, less quiet--we're looking at with this upgrade. Any chance you could provide a sound file? (I know, "looking a gift horse in the mouth," since it's been good of you to provide details/photos, etc.). Was your 320 original to your MBP?

thanks.

Yeah, here's a sound file: http://alphateam.nu/SAMSUNG_HM500LI_ACOUSTICS.wav
Sorry it's very hard to record hard drive spinning, but I stuck the microphone right on the top of the case where the HDD would be; you will need to turn up your volume to 100% for sound level to expect when you stick your ear next to it. Careful, I knocked the recorder in the end, so end the file before that (or it might hurt your ears).

And my computer came with a 200GB 7200RPM; I already had a 320GB from an older computer that I upgraded back in February. So when I got a new computer, an upgrade was the first thing I did.

Well realistically, it's the same thing you can do on a Windows computer; you clone the drive and expand the partitition; in OS X you can just load the OS X Restore/Install DVD, start disk utility, have the new HDD as an external and then restore from the older drive (the one you want to replace) to the new external. When you're done, boot onto the external; if everything works, install it and you're good to go. The other route is if you have Leopard, you can do a Time Machine backup, run the Restore/Install DVD and do a Time Machine restore to the new drive. The clone is a bit faster, but you risk some errors and the same clutter and fragmentation on your own drive ends up on the new one; the Time Machine restore will defragment all your files and everything is check summed. Either way, make sure you performance a Repair Disk Permissions when you finish.

Just a FYI, in Windows, you need a program like Norton Ghost which will clone your drive onto a new HDD and then you need to expand the partition to fit the whole drive. In other works, in HFS+, when you restore it fill the whole drive; in NTFS, it restore the same partition size and everything.

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
alphaod, thanks for the wav file, which, as far as I could tell is pretty damn quiet. I'd been thinking that if the sound of the [new] drive was loud enough to record easily, that would be loud enough to be distracting; as it is, it's a sound level I could live with no problem. thanks for going to the trouble...and for your expanded reply(s) on the process in general of swapping out a replacement. Now, to get the boss to spring for one, which shouldn't be too much of a problem since I brought my own TB external to work and it's now pretty full (work on company videos/dvds).

KWoolley116

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2008
i'm assuming theres no 500gb drives with 7200rpm speeds yet? Thats really all thats holding me back from upgrading.

caw002

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2008
2x1GB DDR2 667MHz PC-5300 RAM

Hi,
I saw your post from June about the 2 sticks of Samsung Ram you were selling. I was wondering if they're still on sale. Please let me know, I'll check back on the original thread and arrange accordingly. Thanks!

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Hi,
I saw your post from June about the 2 sticks of Samsung Ram you were selling. I was wondering if they're still on sale. Please let me know, I'll check back on the original thread and arrange accordingly. Thanks!
Just so you know this is definitely not the place to be asking about this, send users a PM(private message) if you need to ask them a one to one question. All you need to do is click on their username and select send private message

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hi,

Sorry I have no idea where that RAM is anymore. I put it somewhere and I'm afraid I've lost it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.