Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sonos this week announced a new version of the Sonos One speaker with upgraded internals. These improvements include Bluetooth Low Energy, a faster processor, and more memory than the original Sonos One, all without any changes to the external design of the speaker (via The Verge).

sonos-one-gen-2.jpg

The new Sonos One doesn't have any exclusive features, and sound performance is said to be the same. Sonos is simply beefing up the Sonos One, about a year and a half after the first model launched in the fall of 2017.

At the same time, the original Sonos One is being discounted by $20, and will now be sold for $179 at participating retailers. As the old model gets a markdown, the upgraded Gen 2 device will be priced at the original point of the first Sonos One: $199.

Sonos has yet to detail how the upgraded memory and faster processor will benefit the Sonos One (Gen 2). Previously, Sonos has stated that some older speakers "simply don't have the horsepower to support AirPlay 2," during the announcement that AirPlay 2 would be coming to Sonos One, Play:5, and Playbase speakers.

Because of this, it seems Sonos is simply future-proofing the Sonos One with better internals that ensure more features will be available to Gen 2 owners down the line. You can purchase the Sonos One (Gen 2) for $199 in Black or White on the Sonos website. The Sonos One (Gen 1) is also available for $179 starting today.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Sonos. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: New 'Sonos One' Speaker Launches With Upgraded Internals and No Design Changes

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
"it seems Sonos is simply future-proofing the Sonos One with better internals that ensure more features will be available to Gen 2 owners down the line."

Is this a commercial? I like SONOS products but I am very disappointed that only 18 months after release they are updating the speaker. It's not a computer. I get that the original Sonos play one needed upgrading after 5 years, but this? Its more like the gen 1 Sonos one was rushed to market and we early adopters go to be beta testers. Such is the tech world these days I guess. But a speaker? I think the author downplays the significance.

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
"it seems Sonos is simply future-proofing the Sonos One with better internals that ensure more features will be available to Gen 2 owners down the line."

This makes me glad that I'm investing in SONOS at home. I can't stand it when they leave a stale product on the market for years. I feel no obligation to replace any SONOS product that I have but I'm reassured that when I do buy a SONOS product I'm getting the (very nearly) best specs they have available. Premium priced products should be upgraded incrementally.
[doublepost=1551972636][/doublepost]

Is this a commercial? I like SONOS products but I am very disappointed that only 18 months after release they are updating the speaker. It's not a computer. I get that the original Sonos play one needed upgrading after 5 years, but this? Its more like the gen 1 Sonos one was rushed to market and we early adopters go to be beta testers. Such is the tech world these days I guess. But a speaker? I think the author downplays the significance.

This is absolute nonsense, I see that this is (clearly) a strongly held belief of yours, but the idea that an updated product somehow impacts your 'sunk costs' of something you purchased (as much as 18 months ago) you ignore the 18 months of enjoyment that you've gotten when you imagine yourself as a beta tester for the previous version of a product. I think purchasers of premium-priced products should be getting (very nearly) the best that is available at that time.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I wonder if this is related to the Google Assistant support, which Sonos announced was in development some time ago... it was originally due in 2018, but put back to 2019.

Definitely what I’m suspecting as well.

lordofthegins

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2018
Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
Smaller details. The new ONE has 2 less microphones , as apparently they aren’t needed and SONOS have worked out how to achieve the same performance with x4 instead of x6.

They’re software killing two of the Gen1 mics to keep software consistent across both devices.

Reactions: AngerDanger

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
The top of the speaker has different design than the previous model, for voice control...
The first generation Sonos One also had voice control. Perhaps you're comparing it to the Sonos Play, which looks similar but lacks voice control and had lighter sides.

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 10.57.42 AM.png

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
I wonder if this is related to the Google Assistant support, which Sonos announced was in development some time ago... it was originally due in 2018, but put back to 2019.
Long overdue, Sonos is missing out on a huge segment of the market, Sonos + Google interaction is pretty painful at the moment

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Smaller details. The new ONE has 2 less microphones , as apparently they aren’t needed and SONOS have worked out how to achieve the same performance with x4 instead of x6.

They’re software killing two of the Gen1 mics to keep software consistent across both devices.
My issue is that the original One has terrible mics compared to other smart speakers. I don’t care if they use 4 or 6, but I hope the actual performance is better.

BGarza

macrumors member
May 11, 2016
San Francisco
My approach to an upgrade would have been to increase the woofer a half-inch and then claim something modest like “Now with 15% better bass response” to compete a little better with HomePod.

Personally, I like the clean lines of the Sonos One, but opted for 2 toilet paper rolls at the left and right of my bed simply because i read that homepods push more air than Sonos One.

Reactions: unplugme71

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
No, the existing one is getting google assistant so clearly this isn't needed for that.
[doublepost=1551977046][/doublepost]
My One is sitting unused because Sonos can't seem to get airplay 2 working on it without cutting out every minute or two. Total disappointment.
I have 2 sonos one's and airplay 2 works just fine on mine.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Makes me wonder if an updated Sub is coming too. Not that I would get it but a discount on the older model would be appreciated.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

This makes me glad that I'm investing in SONOS at home. I can't stand it when they leave a stale product on the market for years. I feel no obligation to replace any SONOS product that I have but I'm reassured that when I do buy a SONOS product I'm getting the (very nearly) best specs they have available. Premium priced products should be upgraded incrementally.
[doublepost=1551972636][/doublepost]

This is absolute nonsense, I see that this is (clearly) a strongly held belief of yours, but the idea that an updated product somehow impacts your 'sunk costs' of something you purchased (as much as 18 months ago) you ignore the 18 months of enjoyment that you've gotten when you imagine yourself as a beta tester for the previous version of a product. I think purchasers of premium-priced products should be getting (very nearly) the best that is available at that time.

Chuckles. Sorry, it's absolutely stupid to suggest a speaker needs to be updated as often as a computer. Sonos sold us on the Sonos One upgrade for Airplay 2 compatibility, and just a mere 18 months later (not years as you say) Sonos says, 'oops that was not enough, let us tweak it.' Since the introduction of the Sonos One to my network of Sonos products, my network has become LESS reliable, LESS stable, and now I guess I know why. I was paying for SONOS to beta test.

This is not about incremental updates of premium products, this is Sonos acknowledging they put out an inferior product and rushing to correct that.

Anyway, carry on. Regardless of what you think, my main point is that the MR article is overly rosy and complimentary of SONOS when they should at least question whether this is crap or not. Maybe your friend wrote it?

And btw, what other SONOS product was 'incrementally upgraded' in 18 months? Answer. none. Not even close. Nothing less than 5 years.
[doublepost=1551979147][/doublepost]
Makes me wonder if an updated Sub is coming too. Not that I would get it but a discount on the older model would be appreciated.

Well the sub IS 7 years old, and does not support Airplay 2. Though, it's not likely to be used alone so perhaps thats not as necessary. I do agree though after 7 years an update and cost reduction would be welcome.
[doublepost=1551979279][/doublepost]
I wonder if the extra RAM and upgraded processor would help AirPlay 2 run smoother. I find both of my Sonos One's skip and go out of sync a lot, but AirPlay 2 works fine on my HomePod's and Apple TV 4K.

I have the same problem. This is likely the problem they are addressing. Unfortunately for us.

Reactions: MareLuce

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
my network has become LESS reliable, LESS stable, and now I guess I know why.
That sounds like a you problem. My network is solid. My sonos are flawless and I have dozens of devices on my network without issue.

They're updating their product for future features and not charging any more for it. Not bad at all.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
My One is sitting unused because Sonos can't seem to get airplay 2 working on it without cutting out every minute or two. Total disappointment.

Same. Others are apparently having no problem. But enough of us are, that if this was an Apple product there would be an uproar about bad engineering. Oh well.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
That sounds like a you problem. My network is solid. My sonos are flawless and I have dozens of devices on my network without issue.

Thanks. But no. My network is fine. Sonos was fine one day before I added the ones. One day after, the Sonos are skipping. Everything else is fine :) Nor am I the only one experiencing this. So. No. Thanks for your concern.

Reactions: MareLuce

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Thanks. But no. My network is fine. Sonos was fine one day before I added the ones. One day after, the Sonos are skipping. Everything else is fine :) Nor am I the only one experiencing this. So. No. Thanks for your concern.
Sounds like your network is oversaturated. Too many devices and not enough routers/AP's.
If the sonos had an actual problem then everyone would be experiencing it. Everyone thinks their network is fine. Until they address the network issue and find out it wasn't fine at all.

Reactions: Romeo_Nightfall

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The top of the speaker has different design than the previous model, for voice control...

You’re confusing the Play 1 with the One. The Play 1 was their original small speaker that’s been on the market for years and it did not have voice control; but the One has always had voice control.

jakeowens

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have a homepod and two sonos one's. The Sono's go out of sync on airplay 2 once in a while, so I connected them via ethernet to see if that was the issue and they still go out of sync once in a while. Not a network issue as I used to have speakers connected via airport expresses on airplay 2 and they all seemed to work fine. Hopefully this update fixes any of these issues for people, but sucks that I only bought these 2 months ago and now there's an update haha.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

Why does it matter that they updated it? I wouldn't be concerned unless they pulled an Apple and throttled your older device to encourage you to upgrade...

I have my Gen 1 Play 5 and Play 1 Sonos speakers still in use here and have no been impacted by lack of upgrades or support. The only thing I'm missing in AirPlay 2 support which would be nice, but isn't critical.

Reactions: Romeo_Nightfall
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.