Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
There's plenty of opinions on whether to cover your new Alum MB or let it go naked. My question is about the New Speck See Thru Cases for the new Alum MB... See Thru Satin and Hardshell Clear... If you have recently purchased one would you tell us how it fits on the new notebook. Particularly can you still tilt the lid all the way back like they claim? InCase claimed to be redesigning one for the Alum but nothing is out yet. Does anyone know anything about that? Are they really making a case for the Alum? I know the old Incase Hardshell's restricted the tilt on the lid. Anyone have experience with both, the new Speck and the old InCase? And what about all the claims about the Speck products scratching the notebooks? We're concerned here with the "New" ones. So who has bought one?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
There's plenty of opinions on whether to cover your new Alum MB or let it go naked. My question is about the New Speck See Thru Cases for the new Alum MB... See Thru Satin and Hardshell Clear... If you have recently purchased one would you tell us how it fits on the new notebook. Particularly can you still tilt the lid all the way back like they claim? InCase claimed to be redesigning one for the Alum but nothing is out yet. Does anyone know anything about that? Are they really making a case for the Alum? I know the old Incase Hardshell's restricted the tilt on the lid. Anyone have experience with both, the new Speck and the old InCase? And what about all the claims about the Speck products scratching the notebooks? We're concerned here with the "New" ones. So who has bought one?

I have both and I am glad I got the Speck satin hard case for my Macbook. Last night working on the stuff, some tools fell off a shelf and they landed on my macbook and NO DENTS. To bad I can't say the same for my friends aluminum macbook, it has 4 dents and 1 ticked off person.
The new speck cases feel like the old incase (which my wife has on her whitebook) and I can open the screen all the way unlike the Incase ones.

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
The Specks are nice. I'd prefer to get a non-clear version otherwise you see the dust that gathers inside. Other than that, I like them, and if they have been redesigned to allow the 'books to open fully, even better!

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I have both and I am glad I got the Speck satin hard case for my Macbook. Last night working on the stuff, some tools fell off a shelf and they landed on my macbook and NO DENTS. To bad I can't say the same for my friends aluminum macbook, it has 4 dents and 1 ticked off person.
The new speck cases feel like the old incase (which my wife has on her whitebook) and I can open the screen all the way unlike the Incase ones.

HOw's the dust and dirt stuck under the case? Is it a lot? Could it possibly scratch the aluminum?
What about putting the case on/taking it off? Any scratches?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
The Specks are nice. I'd prefer to get a non-clear version otherwise you see the dust that gathers inside. Other than that, I like them, and if they have been redesigned to allow the 'books to open fully, even better!

I got a black satin one so I can't see any dust if any forms.

HOw's the dust and dirt stuck under the case? Is it a lot? Could it possibly scratch the aluminum?
What about putting the case on/taking it off? Any scratches?

I just took mine off and I found it easier then the incase brand. I didn't see any dust at all or scratches, so I'll wait a while and see if any forms under it.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Looks like I need to order one. Thanks. That answers pretty much most of my questions. The one thing I didn't want to give up the most was the tilt angle on the lid. So, I think I'm in. I almost scratched my Alum last night while I had it out of it's sleeve. The sleeve's are great, but they don't help when you are using it.

lawjack2207

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Arkansas
I bought the Speck See Thru Hard Shell Case from Ebay about 3 weeks ago. Used an Ebay discount to get 10% off. I liked it for the first week. It does add some bulk to the case so much so that it takes some effort to get it into the sleeve I use for carrying my macbook around. It does collect dust and since I had the clear one was pretty noticeable.

It also scuffs and scratches very easily. I began to see what I thought were smudges or dirt and removed the case to find out that they were scratches. I've since stopped using it and probably won't go back until I get a major scratch on my MacBook.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I bought the Speck See Thru Hard Shell Case from Ebay about 3 weeks ago. Used an Ebay discount to get 10% off. I liked it for the first week. It does add some bulk to the case so much so that it takes some effort to get it into the sleeve I use for carrying my macbook around. It does collect dust and since I had the clear one was pretty noticeable.

It also scuffs and scratches very easily. I began to see what I thought were smudges or dirt and removed the case to find out that they were scratches. I've since stopped using it and probably won't go back until I get a major scratch on my MacBook.

So this isn't the satin one? My satin one took a hit and no scratches on it at all. I would see how the clear ones scratch, I didn't like the feel of it at all.

lawjack2207

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Arkansas
So this isn't the satin one? My satin one took a hit and no scratches on it at all. I would see how the clear ones scratch, I didn't like the feel of it at all.

I'm thinking of getting the satin one. The clear see thru just scratches too easy and it seems that the satin one wouldn't be so prone to scratch. I'm also trying to wait and see what Incase comes out with.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I'm thinking of getting the satin one. The clear see thru just scratches too easy and it seems that the satin one wouldn't be so prone to scratch. I'm also trying to wait and see what Incase comes out with.

I was going to wait for Incase, but I got sick of waiting.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Naked could hurt!

I had to have the super drive replaced on mine and since the repair, I've noticed that when I run my hand along the edge of the lid I can feel a little snag, like it's chipped a tiny bit. So where I used to think "Naked", now I'm afraid to leave it that way.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Ordered it on Amazon and already got it on my Alum...

I ordered the Cranberry Satin Hardcase. I'm also too lazy to take pictures. As I said earlier, I am familiar with the InCase Hardshell, it's on my old MB. Unlike the InCase or old Speck it went on very, very easily. It was so easy I thought it might just drop off, but like the InCase the teeny tiny little lip edges hold it on. Removing it periodically will be no trouble at all. To me, the bulk it adds is not as noticeable as the way it beefed up the older MB... maybe it's just cause the Alum is so much more streamlined... or maybe this Speck product is thinner than the old Incase Hardshell. The best difference is that the lid is not restricted at all and can tilt as far back as it did without the shell on. Big improvement over the InCase there.

I prefer "NAKED", but I'm OK with this case. I like it better than the old InCase. I can't remember if the inside of the old InCase was shiny hard plasticy or if the inside was the same as the outside. That one is too hard to take on and off and I won't mess with it. The Speck Satin is shiney plasticy inside. THAT BETTER NOT SCRATCH ANYTHING. I'll check it in a few days.

Tinknock71

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Westland Michigan
UPS just delivered the new speck case, just installed fits like a glove, very happy with the fit, no slop or play in the case would order one again! a few pics of the case. ordered from Amazon paid 42.47 with free shipping, got it less then 2 days.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 232
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 179

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
UPS just delivered the new speck case, just installed fits like a glove, very happy with the fit, no slop or play in the case would order one again! a few pics of the case. ordered from Amazon paid 42.47 with free shipping, got it less then 2 days.

That looks pretty good...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.