[NEW]: Speck SeeThru

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by arcturuz, Oct 13, 2010.

1. arcturuz macrumors member

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Glad to see they finally got the rear camera cutout correct.

3. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Ooh, looks good.
    Waiting for reviews on youtube and here before I buy one.
    Not too keen on the speck logo and other writing on the back, but still such a cool looking see through case. Probably the first one thats done properly, other see-through cases just don't offer good protection and clear see-through at the same time

4. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

i was hoping speck would come out with something like this. im gonna wait for the reviews 1st

5. chanerz macrumors 6502a

6. Neoaucourant macrumors member

I was reading the description and it states,
    Does this mean it is similar to the Incipio NGP?

7. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I don't have experience with the See-Thru for the iPhone 4, but I had several of the newest version for my 3GS. It's kind of like a transparent/translucent (depending on color) CandyShell, only thinner. Where it differs from the CandyShell is that the rubber doesn't line the inside of the hard plastic outside layer (in the SeeThru, the hard plastic comes in direct contact with the phone's surface). This case has a hard plastic body, with a rubber lip that adheres to that to hold the phone in the case, and also acts as the covering for the buttons. It was a very good feeling case for the 3GS, once they came out with the "satin" versions (has a soft-touch finish instead of the hard, glossy finish). The glossy finished ones for the 3GS (like the one shown here for the iPhone 4) scratched up very easily. And they had a big issue with all of the 3GS SeeThrus where the soft rubber outer piece would become detached from the hard plastic back. I imagine it's hard to get a really durable bond between two totally different material types like this. Maybe they've fixed it with the new iPhone 4 versions though.

8. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

It sounds like it is.
    There are some videos on Youtube of the version 2 of the seethru for the iPhone 3g/s and its a semi-hard flexible material

9. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

It's much harder than the NGP. Think polycarbonate back. Like the back part of the Griffin Reveal. And scratches just as easily. Which is why they came out with the SeeThru Satin model later in the product's life cycle for the 3G/3GS. It was a soft-touch back, but still translucent, so that scratches didn't show nearly as much.

10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Is it equal in protection to the candy shell?

Marc

11. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Again, I don't have experience with the iPhone 4 version, but it looks identical in construction to the 3G/3GS version (2nd version, to be specific...there were 2 totally different versions). But no, it's not got quite the protection of the CandyShell. The SeeThru doesn't have that inner soft rubber liner inside the hard outer shell like the CandyShell has. It just has rubber around the outer edges, to keep the phone inside the case...think of the Griffin Reveal, but with much better, thicker, more durable rubber on the outside. As far as equating it to another case (protection wise), I'd say that it'd be right in line with the Incase Slider. The hard plastic shell of the SeeThru is about the same thickness and material as that case. Only difference in these cases would be that the Incase slides on the phone, and the SeeThru "pops" on the phone (like the CandyShell).

On a side note, the upcoming Speck product that I'm the most anxious for is the new CandyShell Flip for the iPhone 4. Here: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/speck-candyshell-flip-seethru-toughskin-for-iphone-4/ There's also more pictures of the SeeThru at that link.

12. maniacphoner macrumors regular

Not bad at all. Did this just come out this week?

13. yaddam205 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just picked up this case from MicroCenter. I replaced my incipio NGP and I'm very pleased with it.

The protection on it is comparable to the NGP. The edge/lip on the phone is very rigid and ready for drops.

The buttons are very tactile and feel exactly like the NGP.

The overall look is very sharp and the clear backing of the case is slick. It's also very thin and had a sleek profile.

14. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I just picked one up.
    Good fit, even with front and back screen protectors.
    Very stiff but flexible plastic on the back, the surrounds have stiff silicon like rubberised feel.
    Nice grip without being too grippy.
    Back is completely clear
    Covered buttons with softer rubber, very good feedback
    No flash issue.

Will post pics tomorrow.

15. jLp-PR macrumors regular

16. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

17. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

It's a thermal plastic. It's a pliable plastic.

18. Neoaucourant macrumors member

19. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Any stores selling this case?.... Not big on ordering online

20. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Microcenter

22. Dyspareunia macrumors regular

How scratch resistant is the back? I had the SwitchEasy Nude and that thing was like scratch-aphilic/scratch magnet. It was as if you breathed on it, scratches would magically appear. I've heard PowerSupport's Air Jacket Clear is scratch resistant on the outside and there are youtube videos backing this up. I'm wondering if the Speck SeeThru is like the SE Nude or the PS Air Jacket Clear with regards to scratch resistance.

23. mpossoff macrumors 68020

24. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

It's a little lighter.