Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi Folks,

I have a 2009 Mac Pro.

I updated the main HD with the latest updates, backed it up like a good boy.

Connected an OCZ Agility 3 SSD via fw800 and chose mac os x journaled then restored it from my main HD.

The SSD comes up as a volume perfectly, but if I hold alt down then choose it as my boot drive, it won't work.

in Sys prefs, I try to select that drive and receive the following error:
"the bless tool was unable to set the current boot drive".

Google research recommended trying repair disk permissions (no issues) and resetting PRAM / NVRAM which I did, rebooted and still the same issue.

Not sure what I should do here - maybe a complete install of SL on that SSD from scratch then a target safe mode via FW from my old HD to restore the files?

I also checked for any firmware updates and there's only a windows update (which I won't be using in this machine).

Thanks in advance,
Keebler

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Hi Folks,

I have a 2009 Mac Pro.

I updated the main HD with the latest updates, backed it up like a good boy.

Connected an OCZ Agility 3 SSD via fw800 and chose mac os x journaled then restored it from my main HD.

The SSD comes up as a volume perfectly, but if I hold alt down then choose it as my boot drive, it won't work.

in Sys prefs, I try to select that drive and receive the following error:
"the bless tool was unable to set the current boot drive".

Google research recommended trying repair disk permissions (no issues) and resetting PRAM / NVRAM which I did, rebooted and still the same issue.

Not sure what I should do here - maybe a complete install of SL on that SSD from scratch then a target safe mode via FW from my old HD to restore the files?

I also checked for any firmware updates and there's only a windows update (which I won't be using in this machine).

Thanks in advance,
Keebler

been there done that.. power down remove all drives except the ssd then boot most likely it won't if it does not boot

reinstall with the software disk.

shut the machine down leave just the ssd in it (or in a fw800 case) then boot. 95 to 98% sure this should work.. it it works. power off put in your old backup boot ( you should be able to pick the ssd now) then use migration assistant to move files/soft to the ssd. your method can work with target disk can work. This has happen to me with ssd's and raid's when I use single hdds it has not happened.

Last edited:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada

Thanks Sim! I got it to work! wuhoo!

The only issue is that it seems to take a long time after I press the button for the white screen to come up, then the apple symbol as it spins. The spin cycle is for nearly 35 seconds and from touching the power button, it's just around 1 minute.

BUT, when it's into the OS, it's a whammo effect where everything is just there. I launched apps which took longer such as DVDSP, Final Cut, compressor and Daylite and they are opening much faster. wowsers! :)

Thanks again,
Keebler

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks Sim! I got it to work! wuhoo!

The only issue is that it seems to take a long time after I press the button for the white screen to come up, then the apple symbol as it spins. The spin cycle is for nearly 35 seconds and from touching the power button, it's just around 1 minute.

Keebler

Try this:

run Erase Free Space in disk utility, Then run these commands in the terminal afterwards:
sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Then reboot and the animated spin should cut down to 3 to six spins.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Try this:

run Erase Free Space in disk utility, Then run these commands in the terminal afterwards:

Well that worked! down to around 30 secs overall.

I did run into 1 issue - when I was freeing disk space, the message, 'startup disk' is almost full' came up.

I have 120 GB SSD and had approx 98 GBs worth of system and app files so the temp file in the trash was near 24 GBs. Is there a way to point that process to another HD with more space? It didn't finish running through.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Try this:

Why is it necessary to clear free space on a new drive?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I did run into 1 issue - when I was freeing disk space, the message, 'startup disk' is almost full' came up.

That is normal when it is writing a temp file over all the space it is erasing.

By the way, the TRIM enabler itself caused me nothing but trouble during system use and so I reversed it a while back. Kept getting hang ups etc. Not recommended for sandforce based ssd's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.