New Star Wars Toys Added to Apple's Online Store, Including R2-D2 and BB-9E Droids

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A collection of Star Wars toys, including Sphero's new R2-D2 and BB-9E droids, are now available to purchase from Apple's online store.

[​IMG]

R2-D2 and BB-9E can be controlled with an iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch. More details can be found in our earlier coverage of the droids.
    BB-9E App-Enabled Droid by Sphero -- $149.95
    R2-D2 App-Enabled Droid by Sphero -- $179.95
    Apple's new Star Wars accessories page also has a trio of Star Wars quadcopter drones by Propel, and a kit for creating your own Star Wars droid.
    Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Starfighter Battle Quadcopter Drone -- $179.95
    Propel Star Wars Tie Advanced X1 Battle Quadcopter Drone -- $179.95
    Propel Star Wars 74-Z Speeder Bike Battle Quadcopter Drone -- $179.95
    littleBits Droid Inventor Kit -- $99.95

Apple is also hosting free Star Wars-themed sessions at many of its retail stores starting today through Saturday, September 9.

The new Star Wars toys and sessions are in celebration of Force Friday II, which begins today and runs through this weekend. It's all to promote Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which debuts in theaters December 15.

Article Link: New Star Wars Toys Added to Apple's Online Store, Including R2-D2 and BB-9E Droids

2. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

While there is no denying Star Wars from the get-go was all about the merchandise, the purchase by Disney has been nothing but cancer. Force Awakens was trash, the never ending Han-Solo crisis & an Obi-Wan movie? Give me a break, milking the series doesn't even begin to describe it. Not to mention evil BB-8, and that furby looking thing, seems Ewoks are taking the back seat.

3. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

These make great gifts for Life Day.

4. ethanwa79 macrumors regular

Please tell us all how you really feel. SMH.

5. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Hope those things cant be hacked like all of those unprotected smart teddy bears and kids toys that anyone can connect to and use to listen to anyone in the room or even talk to your kids.

6. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Yeah, I also can't wait for the Jabba backstory, Boba origin movie, Admiral Ackbar biopic, Empire Strikes Back remake & the Chewbacca stand-alone flick.

7. Bbafett macrumors 6502

I love the fact that the sounds do come from the R2D2 model vs coming from the phone app that the BB8 and BB9E do. That is part of the reason I felt a disconnect with the BB8 droid that we own. Just wasn't the same. Almost hard to control at times too.

Might have to pick up the R2D2 droid at some point.

8. purplehaze0 macrumors regular

purplehaze0

9. rpmurray macrumors member

You can't blame the prequels on Disney. Lucas was trashing Star Wars long before Disney got their mitts on it.

10. skitidetdu macrumors regular

skitidetdu

I was somewhat disappointed with Force Awakens since it was lika passacaglia of the original film, but it was still so much better than episode 1-3. But seeing the trailer for episode 8 I'm pretty sceptical as to what Disney has to offer. But I do like this R2-D2 robot toy!

11. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

12. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I love my BB-8 but I agree it would have been even better if it made the sounds itself. I would really like both the R2-D2 and the BB-9E as well. I think someone needs to make a fully controllable walking K-2SO from Rogue One too, if they haven't / aren't planning one already.

13. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Attached Files:

14. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

EXACTLY!!! :)

I'm just starting testing out my R2-D2 with Swift Playgrounds on my iPad. You can also control the R2-D2 with Javascript using the Sphero Edu app.

Currently, you can only use iOS, Android or ChromeOS, and they must be in an app. I'm hoping that I can write a Swift or JavaScript program outside their app, to like watch my football team's game (through parsing the NFL.com/scores page) on Sunday and when I see my team score, R2-D2 can go crazy beeping and whirring. That's my goal.

Looking through the documentation for Sphero's version of JavaScript, https://sphero.docsapp.io, I can't see any way to pull website information, or any other information, from outside the app. If anyone finds this, let me know. Thanks!

(Oh, when I'm done with a script that works, if it's possible, I'll post it here so others can use it)

15. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

amazing wicked cool idea! After R2 jitters happily after a score maybe a popular team goal chat can be whistled by R2.