New Study Suggests Apple Watch Heart Rate Sensor Can Detect Early Signs of Diabetes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth

Can it detect the poor diet that leads to at least one kind of diabetes? Wouldn't prevention be more valuable than treatment?

2. nitramluap macrumors regular

That's some pretty woolly science there. 85% accuracy is actually quite dreadful, especially for a screening tool.

3. citysnaps macrumors 601

No. Apple Watch is not able to analyse and assess dietary intake.

4. Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth

That's the point. The main problem is people's choice of diet, but that seems to be the 200lb gorilla in the room. Fewer people would need treatment, if more people made better decisions about what they ate. Even the diabetes that's genetic, is triggered by diet.

5. MacTiki macrumors member

That’s a great idea but it’s not within the Apple ecosystem playbook.

It would be just as likely they would allow and encourage upgrading hard drives, memory and graphic cards in their computers.

6. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

Yeah. They need to make the watch such that it provides an electric shock every time I pick up a donut.

7. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

Thanks...now I'm craving a donut. Jerk.

8. tl01 macrumors 68020

They are just collecting data. They don’t notify you of anything unless there is something truly emergent from my understanding. We aren’t supposed to rely on it for diagnosis etc.

9. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502

eltoslightfoot

Actually depending on the situation, that could be significant. We would have to know far more information than just a raw percentage. How much lead time, what was the p value, etc...

10. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

This sounds self-serving to the company who says it works.

11. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

The point is that the only people that will benefit from this are insurance and drug companies, not the wearer. I cannot believe that people are willing to give up their personal data for something like this. For free. I wouldn't give them that data even if they were paying me money.

$1 out of every $5 spent goes to sickcare in the USA. Everybody wants in on it, including but not limited to Buffett, Bezos, and Dimon. If you think this will benefit users in anyway, you are delusional.

Here is a nice example of tracking gone wrong...
    http://www.newsweek.com/fitness-app...ion-secret-military-bases-around-world-793442

12. tl01 macrumors 68020

Don’t really care. My insurance company already knows my blood glucose levels and what my heart does. It’s not a secret. I go to the doctor. Data is valuable to me.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2018 ---
    But maybe with the data more readily available, they would heed the warnings. I get what you are saying and have made healthful changes in my life awhile back but I still like information.

13. teezy macrumors regular

teezy

really sucks that you need at least a Series 1 to participate. Cardiogram is cool too though.

14. Herky68 macrumors newbie

Herky68

I believe that many of you don't understand just how much effort and expense apple has spent on developing this research program. I signed up late last year, and several weeks ago they notified me that they had read an irregular heart rhythm on my app. I called them, talked to a Dr. on line, they sent me a state of the art medical monitor the size of an Apple watch which is applied with a sticky tape over my heart for 7 days, I kept it attached for a week, sent it back (post payed) and they contacted me within 3 days, they had me contact one of their research Drs. who went over the results of the week long monitor, they saw no further arrhythmia , and gave me confidence that the earlier abnormal pattern was not a problem , readings showed my heart strong, and healthy. My heart has a minor abnormal pattern that I have known about for 45 years, and I've had numerous heart evaluations required by my employers. I have worn a Holter Monitor numerous times, it's bulky , hard to sleep with, and only records a day or two, the device that Apple sent me totally blew me away, light, you can shower with it on, and records on an internal chip an entire week of heart activity. Please give Apple the respect they deserve for truly using their research budget to start the next generation of wearable health monitors. Yes, I'm a Fan.

15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

A warning in time before a heart attack would be a great feature also.

16. burtba macrumors regular

AND......Apple Heart Study App is still not available in Australia.....

17. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

What world do you live in where people have a doctor’s check-up including blood glucose, “every few months or whenever”? I don’t know anyone in their teens, twenties, thirties (typical ages for T1) who even has that checked every five years.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2018 ---
    That sort of accessory band function sounds good to me, but the technology isn’t there to do glucose monitoring that way.

18. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I think it's safe to say that until Cardiogram and Apple both get the blessing of the FDA and AMA, the App's EULA will specifically contain (to which you as a user of the App will have to agree), all sorts of disclaimers, and will no doubt specifically state results should not be relied upon as medical evidence, and used to initiate treatment options, but if concerns arise to 'see your doctor or medical professional for proper diagnosis'.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is probably the most insightful post in this whole thread. I think this goes to show you that Apple really wants to define health related measures with the Apple Watch more than any other functionality it has. And I think bigger things are coming for the Apple Watch, but the amount of time Of research and development one day that hopefully will make the Apple Watch A necessity versus an accessory.

20. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

This is just amazing and deserves a full article on MacRumors.

21. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

22. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

Agreed. It doesn't matter what is posted, there is always blatant negativity. I'm not talking about discussions with rational arguments, I enjoy those. There are just whiny, miserable people on this forum.

23. T909 Suspended

These devices can't be trusted anyways.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018 ---
    Or you could test your blood sugar at home by yourself and also blood pressure.
    If you want to measure your blood pressure the mercury ones are the most trustworthy. ;)

24. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

You miss the point. It's not a primary diagnosis device.
    This is basically what's been done on commercial airliner engines for decades: Engine Condition Trend Monitoring: You analyse a lot of different engines and compare them to each other and to each engine's own history. It doesn't tell you what's wrong with the engine exactly, but (e.g.) a negative trend of a low freqency vibration indicates there might be a problem on the low pressure spool. This allows for troubleshooting before the problem is beyond limits and causes a cockpit indication, grounding the aircraft. Same applies here. The watch measurements are not a diagnosis by themselves, but an indication, that something might be comming up and/or should be diagnosed.

If that's required or necessary on humans... maybe not... consider it an additional insurance for which you pay by privacy. Maybe it's never benefical to you, maybe it saves your life.

25. snoonw macrumors newbie

snoonw

the hrm on apple watch isnt very particularly good but only full blown smart watch with best hrm is the polar m600 does that mean that watch will have 100% accuracy.
    polar m600 has 6 sensor optical hrm