New Study Suggests Apple Watch Heart Rate Sensor Can Detect Early Signs of Diabetes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 7, 2018.

1. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

This is a good advance for those who avoid doctors.

2. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

That’s nonsense. How many people in their twenties, thirties, fourties do you know who go, once a quarter, to their GP just in case they have developed diabetes? Leaving aside the financial ramifications (in the US), that’s simply not a thing people do.

3. IJ Reilly, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018

IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Quite right. Drugs with far less than 85% efficacy are released onto the market all the time. They work for the people for whom they work and it is quite worth having them around for those people. If I understand what is being suggested by this study it is not that heart rate can or should be used as a proxy for blood glucose but that it can potentially be used to detect more people who ought to be monitoring their blood glucose level.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2018 ---
    Or even quite a bit older than their 40s. Even if you do go for a regular annual wellness exam, and get the usual blood panel your doctor will likely order, the blood glucose test isn't going to be much of an indicator unless the levels are way out of whack at the moment you happen to be tested. Blood glucose has to be tested at the right times of day and multiple times of day to track what is really going on, and only diagnosed diabetics do that.

4. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

I see you missed the point entirely. Let me clarify. This is beneficial for those who avoid doctors, as it may alert them to a problem they would not have otherwise known about until the disease had progressed.

5. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Yes, and if you go annually, that means you may have already had untreated diabetes for close to a year.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2018 ---
    Sorry, I thought you were being sardonic.

6. steveoc macrumors regular

Wonder if similar technology could be applied to early stroke detection!

Having had a stroke myself, contacting emergency services promptly,and being medevaced to a stroke center quickly, but it was still too late to prevent severe impact!

7. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Few being 3 months and at least at the VA you can get it checked every "few, 90 days, 3 months" If your past AIC was high and your readings from the portable one they give are high also.

Just because YOU don't know of anyone that is T1 in there teens, twenties, thirties doesn't mean they don't exist.

Technology is coming slowly but promising

8. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Why are you trying to "explain" this?

Someone who already has diabetes gets quarterly check-ups, but this is specifically about people who don't yet know they have such an issue.

Um, what are you even talking about? I got T1D in my twenties.