Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a new survey conducted by SurveyMonkey and shared by Recode, 11 percent of respondents said that they believe Apple has the most positive impact on society today. Apple came in third place, however, falling in line behind Google at 15 percent and Amazon in the top spot at 20 percent.

amazon-google-apple-logos.jpg

Survey respondents were given the option of choosing between a number of technology companies between April 8-9, and it totaled 2,772 adults based in the United States. When asked which company they believe has the most positive impact on society, 20 percent elected to choose "none of the above."

Despite the ongoing Cambridge Analytica scandal, 10 percent of respondents chose Facebook as having the most positive impact today. Microsoft rounded out the top 5 slots at 7 percent, followed by Tesla at 6 percent, Uber at 3 percent, Netflix at 2 percent, and a list of companies at 1 percent.

recode-surveymonkey-survey.jpg

The survey also dived into the CEOs of the companies and asked respondents which leaders had the greatest impact on people's daily lives. Amazon came in first place again, with 22 percent saying CEO Jeff Bezos and his decisions impact them in some way each day. Google's Sundar Pichai came in second at 18 percent, and Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg was third at 17 percent.

Amazon has been a competitor for Apple in a few areas over the last couple of years, particularly in areas like AI assistants and smart home accessory support. Most recently, The Information reported that an increasing number of home builders have opted to go with Alexa-enabled smart homes, rather than install HomeKit products during construction.

A Bloomberg report today claims that Amazon's next big push into consumer products will be a robot that can navigate around the user's home "like a self-driving car." The ultimate purpose of the robot is still unclear, but people familiar with the project believe it to be a "mobile Alexa" that would follow customers into areas of the home that don't have an Echo device.

Article Link: New Survey Says Amazon and Google Have a More 'Positive Impact on Society' Than Apple

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Google?? Hahaha, oh dear. How the masses are brainwashed.

The power and control Google have is the most terrifying thing of all. You think Facebook is bad, they're just a social network that could die and go away, you can leave and close your account. Google has no legitimate decent search engine equivalent.

Google completely controls and dictates exactly what they want the averge (and majority of) internet users to find on the internet. They are the gateway to nearly everything onine for most...

...at the same time they're searching on Google's engine with their Google account, over their Google wifi, connected to Google fibre, which is using Google DNS servers using their Google phone to access their Google mail, put dates in their Google calender and add contacts to Google contacts and store their life on Google drive, after watching videos on Youtube before planning their trip with Google maps all in their Google web browser and then wonder why Google knows more about them than they even do.

Last edited:

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
To put it in perspective. The Mac changed the course of my life. The iPhone changed my life. Even the iPod changed my life more than a website that sometimes has a lower price on books and assorted consumer goods.

Look, I'm glad Amazon rescued Whole Foods. Not everything they do is terrible. But honestly, Amazon is just a high tech version of Walmart. Other than low prices, and a tiny bit of convenience, I don't see that it has any soul or culture or anything to say. It's a company without qualities.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
Well this suvery is rather "worthless"

And the result isnt suprising. Why should Apple be on top? Even though I like Apple more than the others for what it is.

Amazon: you get everything you want/need fast sent to you.
Google: you can find any information
Apple: you get nice beautiful devices.

Yes, I love beautiful stuff but for society, finding any information I need to get a step further in life is more valuable than nice devices. Doesnt matter if this service is from Google (which it is) or from any other company, finding Information has just more value than nice devices. And theres nothing wrong with that. Same its nothing wrong with Apple. Its just different.

SiloMunke

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
To put it in perspective. The Mac changed the course of my life. The iPhone changed my life. Even the iPod changed my life more than a website that sometimes has a lower price on books and assorted consumer goods.

Look, I'm glad Amazon rescued Whole Foods. Not everything they do is terrible. But honestly, Amazon is just a high tech version of Walmart. Other than low prices, and a tiny bit of convenience, I don't see that it has any soul or culture or anything to say. It's a company without qualities.

Couldn't agree more with this.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX

The power and control Google have is the most terrifying thing of all. You think Facebook is bad, they're just a social network that could die and go away, you can leave and close your account. Google has no legitimate decent search engine equivalent.

Google completely controls and dictates exactly what they want the averge (and majority of) internet users to find on the internet. They are the gateway to nearly everything onine for most...

...at the same time they're searching on Google's engine with their Google account, over their Google wifi, connected to Google fibre, which is using Google DNS servers using their Google phone to access their Google mail, put dates in their Google calender and add contacts to Google contacts and store their life on Google drive, after watching videos on Youtube before planning their trip with Google maps all in their Google web browser and then wonder why Google knows more about them than they even do.

The irony of calling someone brainwash as you list out all the Apple products you own as it's some trophy showcase.

SiloMunke

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Well this suvery is rather "worthless"

And the result isnt suprising. Why should Apple be on top? Even though I like Apple more than the others for what it is.

Amazon: you get everything you want/need fast sent to you.
Google: you can find any information
Apple: you get nice beautiful devices.

Yes, I love beautiful stuff but for society, finding any information I need to get a step further in life is more valuable than nice devices. Doesnt matter if this service is from Google (which it is) or from any other company, finding Information has just more value than nice devices. And theres nothing wrong with that. Same its nothing wrong with Apple. Its just different.

If this is all you see in Apple, then you must have voted in this survey.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
The irony of calling someone brainwash as you list out all the Apple products you own as it's some trophy showcase.

Yes, but my products cost money and thus don't control everything I see or do, or track my entire life online. The point is moot, it's not about brand loyality - it's about not realising how evil a company can/is being and the immense power they have to say they add more to life. I couldn't care less if Apple was bottom of the list, I like what they do. But putting Google up there at the top is both mental and a great demonstration of good their PR is and how they can away with stuff Zuckerberg only wishes he could.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
If this is all you see in Apple, then you must have voted in this survey.

This is the thing why I'm saying this survey is worthless. Sure Apple does for some people more for society. It did the Appstore which gives a lot of developers a chance, new ways to use software which change the way you work... I could go on and praise Apple to the heaven.

But we are talking a suvery. I say these are the points "normal" people think about these companies. And this way, you get this result.

Reactions: philosoraptor1

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Whoa, what’s this about an Amazon robot following me around in my house where the Echo can’t go? :confused::eek: Ah hell naw! Bezos and Zuckerberg are coming across as creepy stalkers.

I use Google and have it sandboxed to the degree that they allow me to think I have control over my settings. But it’s not following me into my closet to insult my wardrobe like Amazon wants to do. :rolleyes:

I liked Amazon until they started using their own delivery people instead of UPS and sometimes Fed-Ex. Now instead of having deliveries neatly wrapped in plastic and left outside my front door, my stuff is shoved into bushes where I have to get scratched up to dig them out, or left out in the driveway exposed to the elements and passers by. I get delivery notices lying outright that the package was delivered into the hands of a resident. When in reality, yes, it’s over in the pine tree. If you want to count the groundhog as a resident, okay, then I guess they’re not lying. :rolleyes:

That’s when they decide to deliver at all. Around any holidays they just don’t seem to bother at all half the time and we get notices that our order was undeliverable and to contact Amazon. In which case I get some poor schmuck in a call center in India trying to figure out what the heck happened all the way over here in the east coast of the USA.

We have now returned to shopping at brick and mortar stores when possible. Traffic where I live IS horrendous and I live in a rural area but still, it’s nice to get out there and support local area businesses again.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Hmmm let’s see.. Apple revolutionized several industries. If it wasn’t for Apple and the iPhone, who knows how we’d be accessing Google in 2018. Also, thanks to Apple and the App Store, people can download Amazon and have access to ordering from anywhere.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008

The power and control Google have is the most terrifying thing of all.

I agree with the latter, but having that power and control does not mean Google cannot have a more positive impact on society than Apple. Yes, there is also the potential for Google to use that power and control in a way that has a very negative impact on society, but so far it seems that overall Google is not perceived to be doing that.

Personally, I do not really trust either company, but I use products from both. If both were to stop existing, I would probably miss Google a little bit more at this point, and I think they rightfully have an edge in the survey. But I also think we would be alright without them.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Google? Thanks to Google I've taught myself decades worth of skills that have resulted in me being hired for a high paying job. Youtube has allowed me to save TONS of money on repairs I didn't think I could do, but after watching a how to video, I successfully completed.

Apple? Their devices make using a computer pleasant and a lot less problem free - but I grew up with Windows so... iPhones are pretty good - I wasted a lot of time rooting Androids to fix crappy Samsung OS designs back in the day, but I don't know how much of a positive impact iPhones have had on my life. If we look at Apple's "green" initiatives... but their devices are so expensive...

Amazon? ....... I've blown so much money here that... .... I don't know if this is a good thing. Now, if I order anything online, I expect to get it within 2 days or else I'm going nuts. Amazon's cloud services are AMAZING. I think this has done a lot of good to help people. Most people don't realize how much of the world's services rely on Amazon cloud computing. So for most people I think this is probably high up there for positive influence hence Amazon being #1.

Facebook. I dislike this, so probably best I don't comment on it but I know many of my relatives live on here and love it.

Microsoft: Without Windows I'd be nowhere today. I spent most of my childhood on Windows 3.11-95-98 and got skills that helped me get my job today.

So me personally?

1. Google.
2. Microsoft.
3. Amazon.
4. Apple.
All else below.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.