Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBruno

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2018
Corvallis, OR, USA
If you look at the sorry state of journalism today, it follows a formula of shoddy research, a clickbait headline, and a comment section full of angry people. The ad revenue flows while humanity becomes more divided than ever.

This is one of the truest -- and most sadly illuminating -- things I've read on MacRumors lately.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When the heck did growth and success have an absolute positive impact on society. The concept is subjective and must be accounted for in terms that are personal or opinion based. To disregard the opinions of even the posters on Macrumors just reinforces the fact there is a lack of understanding of what the message in the article is.

Perhaps reading the context of the previous post I replied to Would Clear your question, more or less, its the general consensus that Apple doesn’t have an impact on society, when that’s entirely false, given the job growth they have created and will continue to create, which is a direct contribution to their success creating growth. However Not every comment has to relate to the contents of the article, when tangents branch off on their own with points that don’t have to directly correlate with the article, in which I think you’re being overly pedantic in your post. Its the nature of discussion for everyone have to different viewpoints.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
That's a very wrong assumptions. Competition doesn't always bring lower prices. Only disruption does.

There are 4 cell phone carriers. Have you seen any price reduction?
There are so many cable providers including satellite. Have you seen any price reduction?

Please stop the "disruption" over-used buzzword. There was nothing disruptive about Amazon. It merely adopted the Sears, JcPenney, etc catalog method to the Internet.

You are correct, competition does nothing for price reduction.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Alll of you are missing the bigger points here. I know this maybe an unpopular opinion. But nevertheless here it's:
Google:
1. Can you think of search any other way? We don't even use the word search anymore. We say "Google" it. That much of an impact it has put.
2. Gmail: all.of you who are complaining, I bet 90% of you use Gmail.
3. Map: do I need to say anything here?
4. Industry changing techonology: large scale database concept, golang, angular and many more. And they don't use it for proprietary development like swift :)

Amazon:
1. Shopping: I don't have to say how much it has changed your life. You don't need to bargain. The price is always less.
2. Kindle: best reader out there. You know how competition tried and failed.
3. AWS: I don't have to tell you what it has done the technology world. Most startups are possible today because of AWS.
4. 2 day shipping: before Amazon, nobody knew you could have such shipping.

You can see how society has been impacted positively by these two companies. Apple: more money for less tech.. that's the impact they are giving it to the society. They are teaching us that once you have your customer by balls, squeeze them as hard as you can. All they can do is moan and groan! If you think that's positive impact, I am sorry.

Google:

1. I only use Google Search (not logged in) and Youtube (logged in). I never give either my location and I do both from Safari.
2. I have a gmail account, so I could use Google Docs when some event or whatever used Google Docs. I do use the gmail for giving out a email address, when I have too. I never check it (only to verify for some account) I never send from it and I do not forward it to my iCloud account.
3. I use Apple Maps and have for at least a year now. I did use Google maps for years and when Apple maps started it was not a good. About a year and a half ago I gave it another try and it is my default and only maps app now.
4. Sure I guess, but I personally don't use any of that.

Amazon:

1. You are foolish if you think the price is always less. I have been burned at least 4 times in the last year by getting used items and this is from shipped and sold by Amazon verified. Their "2 day" is not always 2 day, especially when the USPS is used. They jack with the price depending upon if you are a new user or not, coming from a Mac or a cheap PC....etc. Once tax kicked in, I go local whenever possible.
2. Kindle, OK reader but I like my Apple eco system. I never owned a Kindle device, have always use ebooks on a iPad/iPhone computer. I find a book I want, check the price on each. If they are the same, iBooks, even if it is a bit more expensive iBooks. I only go the Kindle route if it is way cheaper or not on iBooks.
3. AWS is good but I personally do not have an account. If they did not exist others would (and are) fill the void.
4. 2-day shipping mostly works but no always. It was great combined with no tax. Now just take the Amazon price to a local store and almost all will match, same tax....zero day shipping.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Obviously a tainted poll given to dumbass people - who were probably
sorted to get the response Google and Amazon were looking for.

Seriously - Facebook?

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Alll of you are missing the bigger points here. I know this maybe an unpopular opinion. But nevertheless here it's:
Google:
1. Can you think of search any other way? We don't even use the word search anymore. We say "Google" it. That much of an impact it has put.
2. Gmail: all.of you who are complaining, I bet 90% of you use Gmail.
3. Map: do I need to say anything here?
4. Industry changing techonology: large scale database concept, golang, angular and many more. And they don't use it for proprietary development like swift :)

Amazon:
1. Shopping: I don't have to say how much it has changed your life. You don't need to bargain. The price is always less.
2. Kindle: best reader out there. You know how competition tried and failed.
3. AWS: I don't have to tell you what it has done the technology world. Most startups are possible today because of AWS.
4. 2 day shipping: before Amazon, nobody knew you could have such shipping.

You can see how society has been impacted positively by these two companies. Apple: more money for less tech.. that's the impact they are giving it to the society. They are teaching us that once you have your customer by balls, squeeze them as hard as you can. All they can do is moan and groan! If you think that's positive impact, I am sorry.

Note: Some good points are raised here, so not trying to be negative. Yet will offer some counterpoint—with due respect.

Per Google:

1. Although often referring to The Google, as in Google it, I don't really mean it or often use their service. The best overall search engine—well, aside from censorship algorithms—yes, but at what price? Their practices are nothing less than insidious, all the more as if some day they fall out of favor with one you cannot just retract all the data you've (freely, if often unknowingly) given them. An outfit like DuckDuckGo is more upfront, and largely adequate if indeed rather good.

2. I rather doubt 90% of the readers here use Gmail, but point taken. If not Gmail, myself guilty as well of using a free email service which is actually not. There do exist good, paid, alternatives.

3. Google seems to have the best maps online (if, tangentially, one could try USGS). The downside is Google tracking your every move. In many cases the mapping offered from someone like DuckDuckGo will answer.

4. Google's reach is astounding, if rather like an octopus. They are to be congratulated for initiative and for some fairly good software, being 'free.' I'm not certain, maybe some great software as well. Just don't consider it free.

Per Amazon:

1. Amazon shopping is quite convenient, with a broad selection and good prices. However their pricing is not always the lowest, a little research will reveal this at times. More to say on this below.

2. Unfortunately Kindle doesn't have much serious competition in readers. One might try the Nook from Barnes & Noble, which is okay if not perfect. Apple doesn't seem much interested in this niche, despite its Books offering. Judging solely from Kindle for Mac, they have some way to go before being perfect, or even entirely pleasant. With a little work an ePub can look great on an iPad (especially the Mini that Apple over prices and otherwise ignores).

3. As I recall I heard that Apple was using AWS in part for its iCloud service—and THAT news with mixed feelings. Well, not so mixed, as someone always touting their concern for privacy should not be routing your data through someone else without your prior knowledge, possible encryption or not. Nevertheless this highlights the advances Amazon has made in this field.

4. Amazon has raised the bar for online shopping and expectations of what it might be, including the speed of shipping. I do wonder if a Prime membership can remain such a bargain. That aside, the question of what it might entail—other than the obvious benefits—in the long run. As with Google, they have a keen interest in you as data.

Per Apple and the rest:

For all possible positive attributes, no doubt these last several years that Apple has become more rapacious. Being most unfortunate, and not worthy of the legacy bequeathed by Mr. Jobs. Someone, by the way, who was not adverse to charging premium prices—if usually in exchange for premium products and services. Yes, I know, habitually under powered in relation to Windows, etc.—but still, overall a very good experience, and why the customers.

The greed of Mr. Cook seemingly knows no bounds. It wouldn't be so bad if Apple's products Just Worked as before, but whereas there were always glitches from day one of Apple, now oft legion. I will not go into the use of glue.

The point of any of this is that each of these respective corporations (Google, Amazon, Apple) might rightly be respected for what they have accomplished. In a variety of ways they have each improved our life's, or at least provided that opportunity. This is truly so.

BUT one should not easily dismiss the downsides. To begin with each is a business, not your friend. More importantly each has become a near monopoly in their respective fields. This works somewhat fine (unless you are being put out of business by Amazon, etc.) as long as they are benign. However when about the only game in town or so then we move from customer with options to the consumer that can be dictated to—and otherwise owned in various nefarious ways.

For its various faults Apple at least seems interested in improving the life's of its customers, if not so much of late. It can also be applauded for having some notion of personal privacy. I'm not sure that is in Amazon's lexicon. But other than what he is doing to other competitors, Mr Bezos' primary concern seems to be running a competent company, with the public thus far largely the beneficiary. Google is another matter.

World domination is likely too paltry an objective for Google. They are in so many varied facets of our life because they want to control them all. No doubt there are short term benefits to the consumer, but one is playing a very dangerous game with them. I believe their expressed creed is "Do no evil," but wouldn't the Devil tell you much the same?

Thomas Jefferson said: "The selfish spirit of commerce knows no country, and feels no passion of principle but that of gain." This perhaps a bit cynical, so to the extent someone like Amazon is feeling magnanimous and noble then we can thank them and our good luck. But if wishing to remain customers with options, then we'll exercise this with all due caution and good common sense.

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
Reactions: neutralguy

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
Google?? Hahaha Google completely controls they're searching on Google's engine with their Google account, over their Google wifi, connected to Google fibre, which is using Google DNS servers using their Google phone to access their Google mail, put dates in their Google calender and add contacts to Google contacts and store their life on Google drive, after watching videos on Youtube before planning their trip with Google maps all in their Google web browser and then wonder why Google knows more about them than they even do.

Will you two stop saying "gummi" and "google" so much?

Robert Weisthor

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Google?? Hahaha, oh dear. How the masses are brainwashed.

The power and control Google have is the most terrifying thing of all. You think Facebook is bad, they're just a social network that could die and go away, you can leave and close your account. Google has no legitimate decent search engine equivalent.

Google completely controls and dictates exactly what they want the averge (and majority of) internet users to find on the internet. They are the gateway to nearly everything onine for most...

...at the same time they're searching on Google's engine with their Google account, over their Google wifi, connected to Google fibre, which is using Google DNS servers using their Google phone to access their Google mail, put dates in their Google calender and add contacts to Google contacts and store their life on Google drive, after watching videos on Youtube before planning their trip with Google maps all in their Google web browser and then wonder why Google knows more about them than they even do.

Why do people thing there's no alternative to Google,as a search engine? I've been using DuckDuckGo for a couple of years exclusively and I don't think there's anything important I've overlooked.

Reactions: TheBruno

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
Why do people thing there's no alternative to Google,as a search engine? I've been using DuckDuckGo for a couple of years exclusively and I don't think there's anything important I've overlooked.
Your question us the answer to your question. You should find out why people don't know what is duckduckgo.

Reactions: Robert Weisthor

scuac

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Your question us the answer to your question. You should find out why people don't know what is duckduckgo.

The answer is mostly laziness. People are content with what they have. DuckDuckGo is even an option for default search engine in Safari on iOS.

Reactions: Robert Weisthor

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Ridiculous. Facebook and Google at the top ? Really ? Are people really that dumb ?
I guess the answer is yes, most people are really that dumb. Which is why Facebeook and Google will prevail.
Idiocracy for the win.

« I actually think most people don't want Google to answer their questions," he claims. "They want Google to tell them what they should be doing next." Eric Schmidt

Google believes it’s better positionned than people themselves ( or governments) in knowing what’s better for you. It is an ideology disguised as a tech company.

Last edited:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I switched to DuckDuckGo 2 or 3 years ago and enjoy it more than Google. Better privacy and UI.

I've tried a few times, but I always end up using Google to find stuff that DuckDuck doesn't - plus the little cards on Google for fast results and info are great. Shame really.
[doublepost=1524945987][/doublepost]

See above reply.

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I've tried a few times, but I always end up using Google to find stuff that DuckDuck doesn't - plus the little cards on Google for fast results and info are great. Shame really.
[doublepost=1524945987][/doublepost]

See above reply.
You still can use DuckDuckGo as your default search and use “!g” in the end of search to fallback to Google in case search results is not what you need. It also works for other searches, like “!w” for Wikipedia so on...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.