MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It appears that the popular SwiftKey keyboard for iOS will soon be gaining a Theme Store, MacRumors has learned. SwiftKey already has three themes available in app for free, but the new Theme Store seems to add 11 additional themes that can be purchased at prices between $0.99 and $1.99.

Lower priced $0.99 themes change the color of the keyboard, and some of the available options include "Coal," "Iceberg," and "Juice," three minimal themes that turn the keyboard black, white, or orange.

swiftkey1.jpg
There's also a dynamic "Shooting Stars" theme that uses Parallax to cause the stars in the background to shift when the iPhone is moved, giving it a distinctive 3D feel. "Shooting Stars" is priced at $1.99, and in addition to the parallax effect, users will also see an occasional shooting star soar across the keyboard.

swiftkey2-800x710.jpg
These new themes will undoubtedly be a welcome addition to SwiftKey users who have wanted to change the look of their keyboards to better suit their personal styles or visual preferences, and it's likely SwiftKey will continually add new themes to the Theme Store following its release.

The new SwiftKey Theme Store appears to be rolling out to SwiftKey's beta testing group, but it will likely be coming to all users as an app update in the near future. Beta testers can access the new themes through the SwiftKey container app in the "Themes" section.

Swiftkey can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: New Theme Store Coming Soon to SwiftKey Keyboard for iOS

MRSooner

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
I still use the default keyboard because I can't get the 3rd party keyboards to work consistently enough.

Comment

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Slow news day at ole' Mac rumors ? It's apple watch approaching and you talking swift key UI. lol

Comment

shoorty0690

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Now if only it didn't crash several time a day.

In their defense, its all 3rd party keyboards that have this issue. I would say about 25% of the time, the keyboard just doesn't load and I have to quit out of the app to make it reappear again. That's for SwiftKey, Swype, the gif keyboard I have.

Comment

mxmgodin

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Toronto, ON
The feature I'm really looking for (but that's on Apple's end, from what I've understood) is to be able to use SwiftKey from the lock screen for quick-replying to messages.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Slow news day at ole' Mac rumors ? It's apple watch approaching and you talking swift key UI. lol

Because there isn't enough Apple Watch content already there or that this is somehow WatchRumors only? LOL indeed.

Comment

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
In their defense, its all 3rd party keyboards that have this issue. I would say about 25% of the time, the keyboard just doesn't load and I have to quit out of the app to make it reappear again. That's for SwiftKey, Swype, the gif keyboard I have.

Yeah. You'll notice I didn't direct the blame one way or another. It's definitely the way iOS handles the keyboards and until it's fixed between Apple and the developers, it's not usable.

Comment

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Am I the only one who uses the default keyboard still?

I just can't. seeing the capital letters at all times irritates me on the default keyboard. always get confused if the lock is enabled or not lol plus I can't use german / english at the same time

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just can't. seeing the capital letters at all times irritates me on the default keyboard. always get confused if the lock is enabled or not lol plus I can't use german / english at the same time
Capital letters are on hardware keyboards to this day and have been there for ages and people have been using them just fine all these years.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Capital letters are on hardware keyboards to this day and have been there for ages and people have been using them just fine all these years.

True enough. To be fair though, typing on a touch enabled device is not the same as on a hardware keyboard. I personally like having lower and uppercase letters on a software keyboard. Apple could at least make it an option.

With pretty much every 3rd party keyboard being wonky on iOS, Apple could at least improve the options on the default keyboard. Better yet, let users choose their default.

Comment

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I don't get the point of swipe typing. Is it really any faster than just tapping with your thumbs?

I tried it, but perhaps I need to give it another go.

Comment

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I agree, used SwiftKey several times, but the the endless crashing was just too annoying.

I really wish they would focus on QA over these themes. Love this SwiftKey but it just crashes all the time on my 5S

Comment

shoorty0690

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't get the point of swipe typing. Is it really any faster than just tapping with your thumbs?

I tried it, but perhaps I need to give it another go.

I enjoy the aspect of it occasionally. It is quick when you only have one hand, especially on a bigger screen. And the cool think about it is the ability to choose either or. You can mix typing and swiping or just do one or the other. The suggestions are pretty spot on too.

Comment

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

well I don't have to look at the keyboard when I am on my mac...

Comment

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

Touchscreen keyboards are different and you need some kind of distinct visual feedback to tell whether shift is on or off. Apple used to get this right until they botched it in iOS 7. I still don’t get it into my head, because it is just hard to distinguish the buttons. iOS 6 had a distinct glow around the arrow, caps lock even had a blue colour. Luckily it’s not a huge deal for me with QuickType.

20140311_small_ios71_caps.jpg

plus I can't use german / english at the same time

I don’t remember when I sent my first feedback request on this exact issue, but I know that it was way before the iPhone 4. By now I think that Apple has wee regard for users who speak multiple languages daily or cross borders all the time or live in a border region. On the Mac I can type in any language and it will automatically identify the language and provide corrections. I am currently using Crimson Keyboard which does just that on iOS, in addition to some other UI tweaks (such as a more distinct shift key). However, these keyboards are extremely crash-prone and slow and it’s not a nice experience at this time.

Last edited:
Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I wish Apple would release some themes for iOS. Or even let us use the dark keyboard system wide, as a setting for such a thing popped up in an iOS beta (either iOS 7 or 8 during summer testing). I'd even be happy with just a system-wide dark mode.

Are 3rd party keyboards still glitchy in iOS 8.3?

Comment

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Am I the only one who uses the default keyboard still?

Nope. I still do. I've tried most, if not all of the downloadable ones and couldn't find anything that was as convenient and simple as the default keyboard. Although, being somebody with large hands and fingers, I'd love the default keyboard just with slightly larger keys. There's a great example of this in the Steam for iOS app. They haven't optimised it for iPhone 6 yet so what you get is a scaled up version of the default keyboard (in black!), with bigger keys and larger gaps, which works just great! I dunno why this isn't available as an accessibility setting. Also, Apple should let us use the 'dark mode' iOS keyboard as default. Because it exists...they just don't let us use it.

I've put them side by side below, so you get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

fET6g6v.jpg

Comment

CodeMe

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
Blackburn, England
Trust issue's I keep reading!

I have this App and it's great, Though I've now uninstalled it (Just for time being) Because all I've read endless line of people having trust issue's with this app.

There all complaining about the App asking to access everything you type and weather or not it's high jacking passwords etc. Even most of the App Store comments are the same.

Now I know that all apps on the App store are normally safe and run sandboxed no? See if no one mentioned this issue I'd still be using it, However until I learn it's 1000% Secure it's staying uninstalled.

I Hate Paranoid people, always putting idea's into other People's heads lmao!

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have this App and it's great, Though I've now uninstalled it (Just for time being) Because all I've read endless line of people having trust issue's with this app.

There all complaining about the App asking to access everything you type and weather or not it's high jacking passwords etc. Even most of the App Store comments are the same.

Now I know that all apps on the App store are normally safe and run sandboxed no? See if no one mentioned this issue I'd still be using it, However until I learn it's 1000% Secure it's staying uninstalled.

I Hate Paranoid people, always putting idea's into other People's heads lmao!
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/24/ios-8-keyboards-full-access-and-user-privacy/

Comment

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I have SwiftKey as my only keyboard since day one and I have never experienced any crash whatsoever. SwiftKey is a blessing because I can type Dutch and English without switching keyboards. Is it only a problem for non iPhone 6 users, because I see so many complaints and I have truly never experienced any problems.

Comment

Am3r1ca16

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
I have SwiftKey as my only keyboard since day one and I have never experienced any crash whatsoever. SwiftKey is a blessing because I can type Dutch and English without switching keyboards. Is it only a problem for non iPhone 6 users, because I see so many complaints and I have truly never experienced any problems.

I agree. The bilingual support is awesome. I type in both Spanish and English and its awesome. Don't have to bother switching keyboards. Finally more themes are coming. Been waiting for a long time!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.