NEW to APPLE and SEEKING HELP BUYING!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LxTxNx, Jul 9, 2007.

1. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

After a year and a half my COMPAQ notebook came to its end... I'm not too sad about it though. I wanted to get a Mac notebook as soon as soon as it released with Mac OS X Leopard (October). but, my current notebook had other plans. I don’t need it for work or anything I just want it for entertainment but I REALLY HATE SLOW computers so help me out. I found this Mac Book (black) on CL here in the Bay Area I'm new to Apple the only items that I currently own are all iPods (3 dif generations) a iPod Nano, and a iPhone. So I really don't know much about how old This one is. So I would like your help in seeing if it worth looking at. If not would you recommend me just getting the new now for $1499.99 + Tax? ALSO how much is the Leopard upgrade going to cost when it's released? Is it worth just to wait for it?

Please help me in my quest for a mac.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    :D

this is the link to the deal i found on CL is it didnt work on the link above. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/365295127.html

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Before you buy any second hand Macintosh, have a look at the refurbished section at the Apple store. www.apple.com/store, click on "Deals", then "Refurbished Macs".

These are Macs that have been returned to Apple for any reason; 15-20% cheaper than a new one, full warranty, and no traces of use. Usually cheaper than what you find on eBay or Craigslist, and you know who you are dealing with.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Leopard should be $129 it it follows new OS releases in the past. However, you may want to wait for some updates. Therefore, some people could justify getting it now, and having months of use.

4. LxTxNx thread starter macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

I've looked at the Refurb Apple store online and it seems that they have a few MacBook Pro's I would love one since they have the lit keyboard and the cool lit Apple on the lid and cool metal casing but the prices are steep for something that I don't think I need. well maybe I do but I'm trying to not spend a fortune.... LOL

$129 is not too bad... What updates are around the corner that I might be interested in? Santa Rosa? if so when is that going to be released? Are any of the Notebooks getting a MAJOR updates anytime soon? the last update was only for speeds if i remember correctly.

5. korndog2003 macrumors regular

korndog2003

That macbook you listed from craigslist isn't worth it, it only has a Core Duo and not the new faster core 2 duo. Not worth it imo, and I don't understand how that guy spent $2000 for a crappy macbook, why not get the macbook pro?

6. seahawk09 macrumors regular

One computer only that is MACBOOK PRO:D

hope this helps:)

7. scpt macrumors newbie

If I am right the update to the Intel Santa Rosa platform already took place in June along with increased processor speeds and an LED Backlit LCD display.

8. scpt macrumors newbie

Since the last notebook updates were in June , most probably there won't be any hardware updates for the notebooks before december...so if you are thinking of waiting till OCT for Leapord you might as well wait for the next hardware update. Otherwise, buy it now.

9. scpt macrumors newbie

Since the last notebook updates were in June , most probably there won't be any hardware updates for the notebooks before december...so if you are thinking of waiting till OCT for Leapord you might as well wait for the next hardware update. Otherwise, buy it now.