Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bimmerchop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
First off let me start out by saying great forum. I've been searching around through the threads, and it seems like there is quite a bit of useful info. Being new to apple and mbp, I can't wait to start learning all there is. It sort of sucks that my first thread and post has to be a complaint...

I've been wanting to switch over from PC for sometime, and finally made the plunge this past weekend when I picked up my new 15" mbp. Everything is going great, and I'm loving it so far... BUT I have this annoying problem that just keeps ruining this purchase for me. I keep losing my wireless internet connection. The AirPort signal up top shows fine, a nice strong signal, but every few minutes, my internet slows down dramatically, sometimes losing the connection completely even though the signal shows to be strong. The only way I could get back on after that is if I close my browser, and turn the AirPort off for a bit, then back on.

Please, if anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it. I was hesitant enough when buying my new mbp over the weekend, and this is really starting to make me regret my purchase :(

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
try to update

check if you have the latest software updated, go apple menu, Software Update...

Sometimes it happens to me but when I restart my MacBook after using Boot Camp and Windows XP, for some reason that I haven't yet investigated I lost my WI-FI connection when switching back to Mac OSX.

What wireles router/access point you are using? Which setting you have?
________
extreme vaporizer

Last edited:

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
Btw. could you post your Build Week? go to Apple > About this Mac > More Info > Serial Number. it should be something like: XX730XXXXXX. That means, the two numbers after the first seven.

Im asking this because I havent had any issues with my MBP (knocks Wood) and it'd be interesting to know if there's some kind of correlation between build date and certain issues (i know there's a thread about this, but iam not in a willing mood to skim over hundreds of posts).

shwc

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2005
I have a new mbp and I have no wireless issues. I do not have bootcamp or parallels installed.

Have you tried switching channels on your router, perhaps something nearby is putting of interfering waves?

Note: while I have no issues, it has been historically observed that the aluminum casing (?) used on the powerbooks and mbp appears to decrease the usable distance between you and the router, but not massively.

bimmerchop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
All my other notebooks (PC) don't have this problem. My router is a linksys WRT300N. I also have all the latest updates installed.

triddent222... is the build week the actual serial number?

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
I have a new mbp and I have no wireless issues. I do not have bootcamp or parallels installed.

Have you tried switching channels on your router, perhaps something nearby is putting of interfering waves?

Note: while I have no issues, it has been historically observed that the aluminum casing (?) used on the powerbooks and mbp appears to decrease the usable distance between you and the router, but not massively.

That's interesting, I usually get a wider distance when using my MBP as opposed to my desktop + wireless card (its a cheap one, that might be why). I would have imagined that the Aluminum case would act as a big antenna if the Wireless chip and the Aluminum enclosure came into contact. I, however, s**k at physics.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I have to ask a few simple questions which may shed some light on this.

1. How far are you from your router? I notice that when I'm a little further (even 5 feet affects it), my mbp looses reception and doesn't show it in the Menu bar, but I can clearly tell from my page loading speed.

2. Is it worse when you are near something magnetic? A fridge covered with magnets, one of those desk globes that hovers, etc can make things worse. Magnets are not your friend when it comes to wireless equipment.

3. Is someone around you on a cell phone when the speed drops? If they are, ask them to check their reception on their phone. Usually reception for both will drop if there is some interference.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
seems like the known Airport/KP issues after the new updates. as others have said, your only choice would be to re-roll the Atheros drivers to the previous version or buy a Airport Extreme (which works flawlessly).

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
or buy a Airport Extreme (which works flawlessly).

Which is really fishy. Apple shouldn't be hindering other routers on purpose. It's just wrong to force people to buy Apple stuff for what should already work without their product.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Which is really fishy. Apple shouldn't be hindering other routers on purpose. It's just wrong to force people to buy Apple stuff for what should already work without their product.

as fishy as that sounds, sadly it is one of two choices users have to solve the problem at the moment. until Apple releases a patch that actually fixes this issue, myself and many others will stay away from the current software updates.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
as fishy as that sounds, sadly it is one of two choices users have to solve the problem at the moment. until Apple releases a patch that actually fixes this issue, myself and many others will stay away from the current software updates.

I don't care to lie down and take it. We can't allow ourselves to be bullied just because Apple wants to sell more products. Maybe a complaint letter would help things...I'll wait to write it until after I finish law school. Something tells me it'll have more teeth then:p

bimmerchop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Calboy... I'm around 15 feet away from the actual router. I'm also not near any magnets and my cell phone seems to have no effect on this issue.

It really sucks that this is happening, I really don't want to resort to getting the airport extreme. Hopefully, if this really is a common issue some people have, apple will soon release an update to fix this. In regards to that though, how good is apple in terms of releasing updates to repair certain problems?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Calboy... I'm around 15 feet away from the actual router. I'm also not near any magnets and my cell phone seems to have no effect on this issue.

It really sucks that this is happening, I really don't want to resort to getting the airport extreme. Hopefully, if this really is a common issue some people have, apple will soon release an update to fix this. In regards to that though, how good is apple in terms of releasing updates to repair certain problems?

The Airport problem has been around for a while, it's nothing new. It seems Apple has turned a deaf ear to it. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't complain. I'd be mad too if my $2000 computer couldn't even connect to the internet.

Honestly, I think your best bet is to move the router so that it's a little closer to you. It doesn't sound like it, but 15 feet is enough for the mbp to loose reception quite dramatically.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
have you tried turning on interference robustness, checking for cordless phones close by, trying to run just 802.11n vs g and changing channels?

galder

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
I had the exact same problem with a Linksys router and my ibook g4 (have a mbp now). The signal weakened gradually over time. I had to restart airport - and sometimes that would fix it. Haven't had this issue with my new mbp though - but then again - I haven't installed the latest airport fix :)

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Unforntunately, it seems you :

- 1 : need to update to the latest stuff (which I believe you have done).
- 2 : make sure there is no problem with your router. I had a D-Link, it was very reliable with my MacMini, and the Airport Express wasn't so reliable before the last airport update on the Mac. I used to have the same problems as you. If you have friends who have an airport base station, try using it before sending the MBP back for repair.

:)

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I have to ask a few simple questions which may shed some light on this.

2. Is it worse when you are near something magnetic? A fridge covered with magnets, one of those desk globes that hovers, etc can make things worse. Magnets are not your friend when it comes to wireless equipment.

3. Is someone around you on a cell phone when the speed drops? If they are, ask them to check their reception on their phone. Usually reception for both will drop if there is some interference.

Magnets themselves can't affect the wifi signal. (Possibly the electronics in a "hover globe" gadget could, but doubtful.)

Cell phones don't use 2.4GHz. "Cordless" 2.4GHz home phones can cause major interference. Changing channels on the router can help.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Update your router FIRMWARE. This made the issue 98% better for me.

If that isnt good enough for you, I understand that the apple Airport base stations do not have these issues with the wireless connectons on the Mac

supremus

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
1) Try using a different router (maybe one in your office or school) and see if this problem happens again. I had a terrible Netgear router which did exactly the same. It could be that your AP stops sending out beacons abruptly and your client has no idea where to connect to... its a pretty common problem with APs.

2) Just ask for an exchange. A 2200$ product must work out of the box. Period. Heck even a 200$ DVD player is supposed to work out of the box :), and if it doesnt, we simply replace it. I would do the same with MBP.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
2) Just ask for an exchange. A 2200$ product must work out of the box. Period. Heck even a 200$ DVD player is supposed to work out of the box :), and if it doesnt, we simply replace it. I would do the same with MBP.

He can replace it all he wants. It's not going to fix his problem.

This is a widely known software problem that can only be solved by getting a good driver and sticking with it. He doesn't have bad hardware.

The OP needs to reinstall OSX. After the reinstall he needs to test out the Airport card to see if it holds a connection. If it does, don't update the Airport software. If it doesn't, Update the driver, and repeat running the updates until he finds a good one. The most important thing to do when you get a good update is , never update it again. Airport updates are usually a disaster.

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2007
OP, I'm really sorry you have problems.... especially when its someone switching from the pc side. Things should work.

Aren't computers wonderful? Virtually no where else in life, where purchasing goods and services is concerned, do we accept the amount of this half assed "you're lucky its working at all" BS.

To add insult to injury, there's nearly an infinite number of permutations between hardware and software that can be the cause of anyones problems.

It'll drive anyone mad.

Might as well shoot me now :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.