New to Filevault

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I just enabled this while at a Starbucks and plugged in. I got the beach ball and after waiting a bit I had to leave, closed the lid. I now have "1 minutes remaining" under system preferences/security. It seems to be doing nothing and I am not connected to power.

Does a MacBook need to be connected to power to encrypt?

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
I just enabled this while at a Starbucks and plugged in. I got the beach ball and after waiting a bit I had to leave, closed the lid. I now have "1 minutes remaining" under system preferences/security. It seems to be doing nothing and I am not connected to power.

Does a MacBook need to be connected to power to encrypt?

Yes

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
See the second paragraph, it will depend on what you chose:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25553?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

BTW: It is "FileVault". :)
Holy crap, my old eyes! thank you.
[doublepost=1502233303][/doublepost]It's still "encrypting with 1 minute remaining? and I am connected to power. I think it is stuck. Wish I never turned it on. I did a few sudo terminal commands. Says encrypting with progress of 0%. I just want to kill it and turn it off but I can't.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
It's still "encrypting with 1 minute remaining? and I am connected to power. I think it is stuck. Wish I never turned it on. I did a few sudo terminal commands. Says encrypting with progress of 0%. I just want to kill it and turn it off but I can't.
I will admit I have not encountered your problem.
Here is a older MacRumors thread relating to a hung FileVault encryption, maybe it will help:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/filevault-stuck-on-paused-encryption.1952148/#post-22598309

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Eh.. aside from performance while it is encrypting there isn't really a harm in it not being done.. keep in mind.. progress indicators aren't always accurate.. and if you had a lot of storage capacity utilized.. it could take a day or two esp with a Sandy Bridge..

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I just wish it would move or do something. "About one minute remaining" going on 14 hours.
[doublepost=1502275793][/doublepost]Unfortunately after scouring threads and googling I am convinced I’m “stuck” and the only resolution I see is to blow it away and reinstall. As I type this I erased the drive and reformatted to HFS+ not encrypted. I did this instead of APFS because CCC can’t yet restore a bootable image to APFS (at least that is what it says when you try). My issue is that my CCC image was created after I went to PB4 and enabled fire vault. Stupid of me but it’s the only one I have (plus TM). I’m curious to see how it boots where the image was from an APFS encrypted format with filevault on. Should be interesting. I’m guessing when I boot FileVault will be off.
[doublepost=1502275974][/doublepost]When I booted to this image off my thumb drive FileVault was off (for the thumb drive) so that’s a good sign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.