New to iMac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by martinchivers, Jun 20, 2011.

1. martinchivers macrumors regular

martinchivers

hi guys. only had my imac for 3 days, so feeling my way round it.

I have a few questions, probably been asked before!

Firstly, I have an external hard drive plugged in, its got loads of stuff, all created with a windows PC. I have a folder with some, PDF files & want to add them into a differant folder on the same drive prior to writing a load of stuff to DVD. I highlight them ok & hit copy. Navigate to the other folder but "paste" is greyed out. How do I simply move & copy stuff around? I would normally use "windows explorer for that. I am using FINDER on the mac. How do I create a folder in finder? Is there a more user friendly software (like windows explorer) available?

I notice there is no "delete" key on the mac keyboard. To delete, do I always have to right click & move to recycle bin?
    Can anybody recommend a (MAC) software to creates slideshow, (to play on WINDOWS PC) (most of my clients have PC, not mac) I have used & really like "pictures to exe", but while I can create a MAC VIEWABLE slideshow in it, I can only do that on my XP machine & want to move over to the mac 100% There is currently no mac version of pictures to exe. The main thing here is that the slideshow, must be unpickable, i.e. they client MUST NOT be able to access the individual images (to print them)

Can I create a TAB in safari?

I had photoshop, set up (on PC) to launch bridge" on startup, but haven't been able to get the mac to do that (CS5)
    In word, again on the PC, there is the option to add a quick access toolbar, cant find that on the mac. Also when setting up on the PC, there is the option to point the software directly to the folder with the doc in it, rather than navigation each time its opened. Anybody know how to do that on the mac?

Burning discs....Is there the option anywhere to burn more than one copy? Is there a version of NERO, available for mac? Do I need it? If not, and creating in finder, can i add folders/files etc, from DIFFERANT locations?

I think thats all I can think of, so looking forward to some help, thanks in advance, Martin

2. simsaladimbamba

That has to do with the file system you are using on the external HDD, which is probably NTFS.
    You can check via Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format :
    [​IMG]

Not that I know of, but I haven't searched for that.

Yes.

System Preferences > Accounts >> Login Items

How To Make Copies of DVDs
    Burn is able to be used as burning application, but Finder supports Burn Folders (File > New Burn Folder), and Burn Folders can have files and folders from different locations.

3. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

There most definitely is a delete key.

If you want to avoid right click etc, just use command-delete (or backspace).

4. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

martinchivers

thanks

THANKS GUYS

where is the delete key?

external hard dive....I have looked at the properties & you are bang on - it is NTFS. how do I change the properties? Do i have to format it? Obviously, it has data on it. I ultimatly need to access the data & save it! on both PC & mac. How do I do that/can I do that?

How do I open a new tab in safari?

WHERE IS.....System Preferences > Accounts >> Login Items

thanks again....martin

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

formatting for FAT32 should work for both. You will need to put your data on another drive because formatting will erase everything.

New tab - command + t

Login items is right where you stated. There will be a button that says login items when you select your account.

6. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Right here… on the UK keyboard it is the Backspace key. Don't know why Apple name them different.

Attached Files:

7. simsaladimbamba

CMD+BackSpace is used to files and folders delete in Finder.

You need to reformat it (losing all data, if you not have copied it before), but if you use NTFS-3G you can also write to NTFS formatted volumes. Link is in that quote I FAQed.

[​IMG]

Macintosh HD / Applications / or use Spotlight (CMD+SpaceBar) to find items.

8. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

martinchivers

thank you all

i'm really getting there!

Thanks all.

FORMATTING external hard drive......I am removing all the data. & will format when done, one question...which format type do I need to use, so that the HD, is fully useable on both mac & PC?

martin

9. np0000000 macrumors newbie

seriously....all you had to do is look down.

10. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

fat

11. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

you need to format you external hdd to fat32. when you do this make sure to use your mac, i hat to format a 500gb hdd to fat 32 i dont know how big yours is but i started formating it in windows cmd and was taking an age, so i asked to use my mates mac took seconds!

12. samh macrumors 6502

Martin,

The equivalent to the Windows delete key (which erases the character to the right of the cursor) is fn + delete.

apple.com has some great info for people who are switching from Windows to the Mac. A quick note -- MAC is a networking term that refers to the "physical address" of a network interface. Mac is a shortened form of Macintosh, a set of computer systems built and sold by Apple. :)

13. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Personally, I would just enable your mac to read NTFS. Because if you have large files (bigger than 4GB) you won't be able to put those on the hard drive. Then again, you might not have any files bigger then 4 GB.

You might want to research saving your slideshows as PDF's (if that's possible). I believe it should be impossible to copy things from protected PDF files.

14. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

martinchivers

thanks - any more help, much appreciated...!!!

Getting on pretty well with the change over to the iMac. A few niggles remain!

I have not as yet been able to set up my Epson 4880 printer. I tried to install from the original CD’s but it was having none of it! So went onto Epson UK, where there are about 30 different downloads, of various software for this printer. I downloaded the drivers & LFP remote panel & software etc. Figured out what I (thought) I needed. In the end downloading and installing about 5 different things. I have the printer installed & can see it in system preferences. I have set it up as best I can. Firstly, in options & supplies, the “supply levels” tab it says “information not available. I can get into the utility & run head clean & print a head test sheet. The status monitor there shows the ink levels. In “driver” it says print using “EPSON SPro 4880 (1)” The driver version is 6.55.

When attempting to print from Photoshop CS5, I get a dialogue box saying…..(something like)..…”Error opening printer” etc.

Sometimes the PRINT part is greyed out altogether. Have I missed something?

On the same theme, I have a custom profile for my PC/printer/ink/paper combination & that was spot on. Do I now need a new profile for mac/printer/ink/paper combination? I use fotospeed pigment friend luster.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PHOTOSHOP CS5……when it initially installed it opened with the various tools & pallets ONLY (no background) I have managed to change this so that Photoshop now opens & has solid grey backdrop. A problem I have though, is that when minimizing, photoshop drops away, but leaves any opened images & also for some strange reason, also the “navigator” panel, which is most off-putting & bizarre!

I had Photoshop (but it was CS3) on my PC, & it was set to Launch bridge on startup……..is that an option on CS5/mac?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    When setting WORD up, in windows, its possible to have a quick access toolbar. Couldn’t find that on the mac version. It is also a later version than my PC, had on it.
    I also haven’t found the spell checker!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - When I insert my CF card into the reader, the canon IMAGE BROWSER software immediately takes over & try’s to download my images, I installed that in error while installing DPP, from my original disc. How do I get rid of that software, I know there is not “add & remove programs” facility on the mac as in windows. I cannot even see the icon to drag to the bin.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    There is a hole in my download images protocol – to client viewing stage & wanted some advise, regarding software. I use raw & small jpg in camera. Downloading to a (client named) “download” folder. So that has the raw & the jpg (with the same name I then open canon DPP & select all the images (set to do not show jpg when raw of the same name appears) I rename them 0001, etc.

Once done go to Finder & drag the rows to RAW & the jpg to unrotated camera jpg. I then copy the unrotated camera jps to “viewing images” With my PC, I would rotate these in ULEAD PHOTO EXPLORER. As that’s not an option with the mac, I have tried various software that it came with I can rotate the images in bridge, but transferring to the PC (in viewing room) they have not been rotated. I haven’t got aperture or light room. Which one do I need to rotate & maybe delete blinks ect?

My photos look totally stunning on the mac monitor, I’m not convinced however that, that will be replicated on the final prints! I haven’t as yet profiled the monitor; it’s as factory default.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I would love to create a slideshow, can anybody suggest a program?
    Pictures to exe are currently not available in mac version. I really need something that I can create a (safe)? Slideshow whereby - he client - thieving buggers cannot get them off & print them themselves! Obviously I could continue to create the slideshow in Pictures to exe (on an old PC), but that really defeates the object of the exercise & means booting up & shutting down once of twice a day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Is there a mac version of PORTRAIT PROFESSIONAL?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    RAM…..I have 4 gig at the moment. When opening 17x60 inch at 360 DPI, images/ flattening/saving etc, seams a bit slow (a million times better than the old PC!!!!) Do I need more ram? Will it make a noticeable difference? It is mac specific (I very much suspect that it is!) If so how much another 4 gig or more???

How do I defrag on the mac?

That’s everything that I can think of, so if anybody can answer even some of those queries, I’d be very grateful! Martin

15. np0000000, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

np0000000 macrumors newbie

Martin, before you ask anymore questions you should do some research first.

also, http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#switchapps

scroll about halfway down on that webpage and on the very left are quite a few tutorial videos worth watching.

as for your printer, have you checked to see if its mac compatible?

16. simsaladimbamba

Adobe Bridge > Preferences (CMD+K) >> Advanced >>> Start Bridge at Login (that's where I just looked and found it)

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

That depends on the printer, but what is your question here?

The more RAM the better, and no, you don't need Mac specific RAM, just make sure to get PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz SO-DIMM 204 Pin modules, like the one offered here.

You don't, as there is no need for it, as Mac OS X' file system takes care of that. I once scanned several of my external and internal HDDs after they have been used for years with TBs of data transfer abuse on them, and iDefrag didn't found them worthy of defragmenting, as they haven't been fragmented for more than 1%.

17. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

martinchivers

thanks that helped....

Thanks. I have added the link to the apple site now & will refer to that.

Thanks for the help, regarding launching bridge…..I made those changes, but that launches bridge when the mac is booted. I want it to automatically launch when PHOTOSHOP is launched.

How do I fully delete a progam?

Will look at the ram (I am in the UK) so need to find some on a UK site.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Is it possible to search the mac for folders or files, as in a search of drives, as in windows?

18. simsaladimbamba

Already posted: Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

Yep, in Finder just press CMD+F and select the KIND in the KIND dropdown menu.

19. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

Deleting an application is as simple as dragging it to the Trash from the Finder. However, when you do this, it leaves a bunch of random preference files and .plist files. The best way that I've found to completely delete apps is to use this app - AppCleaner. It works similar to Windows Add/Remove Programs, and will automatically search for any of the preference files and .plist stuff.

Spotlight search does that. Just hit CMD+Space and it will bring up the spotlight search bar in the top right corner of the screen.

20. simsaladimbamba

Not really:
    from this thread

Spotlight might be good, but CMD+F gives your more options.

21. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

Well then. I guess I learned something today too! Thanks!

22. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

martinchivers

couple more little niggles!!!

Hi again all, working on some images now and really, cannot rotate my jpgs. Prior to mac, I used ulead photo explorer on PC. Which software is the best, for deleting out the rubbish & rotating as necessary? I have the images in a predetermined folder, so don’t want to create a "collection" or an "album", just open software - navigate to images & work on them! They will need to be rotated when written to disc & viewed on my client's PC. Incidentally, if rotating an image (jpg) in Canon DPP, it visibly rotates, but when viewing in different software (say bridge) it is NOT rotated. This then causes confusion!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Also experiencing continued niggles with word 2011.

Is there any way at all to permanently TURN OFF the bullet points? As it keeps on adding them in, when I type (I have to reset the bullets to “NONE”) I never use them.

On the older version (on PC) there is a “quick access toolbar” this is customizable to have the icons for regularly used actions. Is it possible to have that on 2011?

23. samh macrumors 6502

One is that you can backspace (twice, I think) to stop doing bullet points as they occur. Alternatively, disable the autocorrect/autoformat feature for bullet points by going to Word > Preferences > Autocorrect > AutoFormat as You Type (see Automatic bullet and numbered lists).

As to the second, you can customize the toolbar. Right-Click on the toolbar and select "Customize Menus and Toolbar..."

24. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

martinchivers

thanks...

Thanks samh! All done this morning. great help!

25. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

"best" is a tenuous word. If all you want to do is delete and rotate, you can do that in Preview. For more capability than Preview, and still free, try Picasa and Seashore.