New to iPhone - jailbreak newbie here

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sawah, Oct 12, 2010.

1. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

There is a lot of information all over for people to use in jailbreaking. I'm just trying to get all the information I can before I try it for myself and having never been on this platform before (came from Android), I'd like to be able to know exactly what I need to do from start to finish.

iPhone 4 - 4.1

I keep reading something about using tiny umbrella to backup shsh blobs, but have no idea how to go about doing that. Is it possible to find this information all in one spot? I had a rooted android, so I'm familiar with the wealth of things my rooted phone can do, but this seems slightly more complicated. Is limerain recommended or greenpoison? Thanks for any help.

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

The jailbreak on 4.1 stuff is fairly new. Try here as iClarified is usually straight forward:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12158

The Tiny Umbrella stuff is for folks like me who are not on 4.1 yet and might want to preserve our basebands to allow for an unlock. Essentially it will let you restore to 4.1 but keep your baseband from 4.0.x. :)

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Limera1n seems to be more stable. Use that to jailbreak.

Tinyumbrella is use to save / restore with SHSH files, and also, keeping current Baseband (Iphone 4 only). Since you are already on 4.1 and wanting to JB 4.1, doesn't really do anything for you. Now, if 4.2 comes out and you want to restore to 4.1 (using saved 4.1 SHSH files) or updating to 4.2 & keeping baseband (from 4.1), then Tinyumbrella comes into play.

4. sawah thread starter macrumors 6502a

sawah

That looks super straightforward, thankyou! I have no desire to unlock my device, am I safe to assume I don't need to do anything with tiny umbrella at this time?

Edit: oops, just saw your reply. Thankyou guys much for your help!

5. sawah thread starter macrumors 6502a

sawah

I saw a few people say mms isn't working with limera1n I think, has anyone found a fix for that?

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

You can always restore to 4.1 and re-JB again, using either Limerai1n or Greenpois0n if you are experiencing the problem.

7. sawah thread starter macrumors 6502a

sawah

Your help is much appreciated - I think I have a decent understanding of everything now. Thanks!

8. sawah thread starter macrumors 6502a

sawah

One more newbie question. Am I assuming correctly that I need to restore the phone in itunes before I do the jailbreak?

9. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Yes.

10. xyzzz123 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry if this question seems dumb. :eek: Another newbie here.

So before jailbreaking even takes place, we are supposed to back up our phones and then restore it?

So then the next step would be jailbreaking it, right? After we jailbreak it, do we restore the iphone from the back up saved before restoring?

Wouldn't that restore the iPhone to the settings it had BEFORE being jailbroken, thus unjailbreaking it? :confused:

11. sawah thread starter macrumors 6502a

sawah

I wouldn't think you'd restore afterwards, just resync all your stuff from itunes.

12. T-Stex macrumors 6502

You can do a restore from backup after the jailbreak to preserve all your settings, notes, etc.. This won't backup your apps, music, or movies, so you'll have to re-sync those.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There is a HUGE sticky on this forum for new iPhone users and everything they should know.

14. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

No. You do NOT have to restore it. Why are people saying you have to restore your phone?

15. bigv11 macrumors newbie

Is there going to be a program that can unlock iOS 4.1 later on? I don't need to unlock my phone anytime soon but if I end up switching cell phone carriers in a year or so will one be out by then. Thanks.

16. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Because in some situations you may have to. For example, I am currently on 4.0. If I wanted to go to 4.1, I'd have to restore using TinyUmbrella (since I want to preserve my baseband) then jailbreak. If someone is already on 4.1 however, there's no need to restore.
    You mean unlock the baseband included with iOS 4.1? If so, it may happen but no one knows. It takes time and dedication to first find the exploit. Just in case, if you are not on 4.1 yet on an iPhone4, I would use TinyUmbrella to preserve the baseband anyway, just in case. Generally you also have a higher resale value on phones that are able to be unlocked. :)

17. johnny168 macrumors member

So if im on an iphone4 4.0.1 and want to update to 4.1 and jailbreak. what steps should i follow? I just wanted to make sure so i dont mess up.

back up iphone. save ssh with tinyumbrella. update to 4.1. then run limera1n. and done? what about apps that ive already downloaded from cydia?

18. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

That makes sense. But the OP has 4.1 and I don't see the need to restore before doing it if you don't have problems with JBing afterwards :p

19. sawah thread starter macrumors 6502a

sawah